Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest When did the "band" break up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Jul 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't get it either. I look at FB, and I don't get how you can interact with others on a meaningful level, exchanging tech issues, and getting answers from whomever in the world might have the answer you are looking for. That is what is great about a forum.
    Also, I don't get the "friends" thing on FB. Most of us walk out of our house in the morning, and if there is a neighbour standing nearby, you look at the ground, cause you don't want to talk to them, yet you go to FB and want to have 10,000 friends. I'm not old like a bunch of you geezers, I'm only 60, but I just don't get it.

AHotRod, Dog_Patch and Spoggie like this.
  2. I Came up with the Germ era,and step outta line= A$$ automatically handed to you in all kinds of directions.... Too much frilly/feel good stuff like how do I check my oil threads.......
    Im still gonna stand by the HAMB, but ,It's a lil softer,and more " PC"......
    I'de like to see a lil more bashing,pull your head outta your ass stuff......
    We all have Q';s, but WTF about wheel color?
    Just wear your pink panties today,and don't ask here please!

cully33, brad2v, AHotRod and 13 others like this.
  3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

BOOM!

I miss seeing all kinds of different builds , choppers , customs , off topic posts , I guess model a stuff was cheap 15 yrs ago and people werent afraid to throw something together... It was still the Wild West or the last hurrah maybe...

But it does feel very PC these days .... I miss GERM

AHotRod, slammed and Spoggie like this.
  4. I looked up Instagram...fuck it , I`ll stay here.

AHotRod, uncle buck, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  5. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YES, INVISIBLEKID. Wish to shit you lived near Austin or San Antonio.

6. Muttley

Muttley

Other than the search function which does indeed suck, I cant figure out why so many people seem confused by the new HAMB. Other than the way it looks it functions almost exactly the same as the old version.

No wonder I thought Instagram was gay when I checked it out, 35 was 7 years ago.

gwhite, shivasdad, LongT and 4 others like this.
  7. Kinky6

Kinky6

The HAMB may have settled down a bit from back when, but there are still a lot of interesting build threads going on that I follow, like Beau's modified.

The only thing I miss from the previous version of the HAMB that I can't get a handle on is with my saved (or watched) threads. Used to be you could sort them into files, like one w/ all your saved RPU threads, or another for all saved info on Ford 8" rear ends, and so on. Now, when I want to find a saved thread on a topic, I have to skim through everything I've ever saved, like one giant file drawer.

Still, just glad to be here. Thx., K6

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. slammed

slammed

Add trolls. Really many of the OG were driven away by trolling know-it-all's.

deto and scotty t like this.
  9. Kinky6

Kinky6

Yeah, I remember when some know-it-all gave Denise crap about a billet gas pedal or some such in her Olds convert (probably came w/ the car); she gave him w/ the blow torch treatment. Somebody carried that as their Sig line for a while there.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. sota

sota

Like it or not it all changed with the new format.

AHotRod and GreenMonster48 like this.
  11. The search feature works a lot better when you do a advance search and as to facebook,I don't own a cat. HRP

12. bct

bct

Love it or hate it there is no better place for early hot rods. If your passion is strong enough you will adapt and outlast the hoards.

13. People come and go in every aspect of life, way its always been, way it always will be to, except its faster nowadays.

14. Paul

Paul
    Editor

it's the fucking smart phones..

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    bambbrose, Mac30, curbspeed and 2 others like this.
  15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Hasn't changed much... Quality posts, Quality answers, alot of ribbing, laughing and camaraderie.
    Miss many of the oldies but replaced with alot of great newbies. Am Always here. Not as active due to my job. Cant hang on the web much. No time. I still love it.

I agree.. the smart phones is the competition. Pulling us in too many directions.

16. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Hey now...watch what you say here! My cat reads this forum.
    (It's ok kitty...the bad man didn't mean it)

17. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As to the original question: The Bands "Last Waltz" was back about 1975-1976 I think? They did do an album called "Islands" after that. Mainly when Richard Manuel died it was the end of their golden age. As a forever FNG newby, I'd just say there is one HELLAVA lot of talented great guys on here!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    volvobrynk, plumbid, rockfish and 4 others like this.
  18. Sprout

Sprout

Been on here since the late 90s. Learned a lot. You will never find a better place for information anywhere. Ryan has done a great job with this site.

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

It was the old "Wild West" days here when I started lurking years ago. I do sort of miss the old rough and tumble HAMB a bit. You had to have a thick skin and be willing to listen well enough to separate the wheat from the chaff. I can remember some epic threads that spun out of orbit and into a gravity well of WTF. But things change.
    The new format didn't phase me much, I've seen worse changes at work. It just takes some getting used to, and the willingness to accept change.

Instagram, I don't much get it. Let's take a picture and filter the shit out of it, and pray that a bunch of people like it.
    Facebook, it has a place, but not as my primary means of communication. I can keep up with kids and their cats, and that's about all that I use it for. Most times, I am not all that interested in what I am doing, why would I expect a bunch of other people to be.

I'll stick with the HAMB, it just feels like home anymore.

kiwijeff, volvobrynk, Saxman and 2 others like this.
  20. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

@OneRustedDodge do you have specific examples of relevant threads that have been deleted? I would love to track down stuff like that and respond to it.

21. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

There has been a ton of "street rodder" stuff on for the last while that would have gotten the poster flamed to death in the past. Perhaps it has just pushed people away?

Because nobody cares about the merits of a 700R4

wbrw32 likes this.
  22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I went to Facebook for a while, all of a sudden it seemed too "junior high" to me so I quit and do not miss it a bit

Baumi, Malcolm, SR100 and 4 others like this.
  23. I don't see why people are complaining about instagram? It's a place to share pictures. That's it. Not meant to be a social forum outside of light commenting. It's easier to share what you're up to though.

I think people have moved on. The traditional hot rod stuff seems to have died down a bit. People are shifting their money around

24. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I also am an old guy and do not adapt to change very quick. I have only a computer that was given to me after my daughter told me it was to old to use. That was 9 years ago.I don't have a cell phone ,debit card,don't have any idea what Instagram is.Every time something new and improved comes along I slide further back. I miss all the posters that have left, I use the Hamb as an information source,and a few giggles along the way helps also. Year ago I had a post blocked and was sent a message that I would be drawn and quartered for causing drama if I did it again.
    I'm a drag racer ,I was told many moons ago the average drag racer is active for 3 to 4 years. That seems pretty accurate from my vantage point. I've raced since 1963 but no-one I know sticks around that long. The same I think for most Hobbies,model airplanes or basket weaving. It is what it is ,people come and people go,don't spend your life trying to figure it out.
    Thanks to everyone who puts up with the old guy!

25. Went to FaceBook and found Germ over there so I'm on there more than here.

26. I miss Germ.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  27. papadaddio

papadaddio
    from Minnesota

Rite on !!!

28. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

I use all 3 daily I have no life hamb/Facebook/Instagram yes it's easier too post on FB/IG you get faster responses bigger crowd
    On the hamb tho I go for tech advice and I have several builds on here I update with pics and info

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.