Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A Nice Stocker Gets The Axe- Chopping a 31 Desoto Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jalopykid, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Egad !!! What a cool car. I NEVER liked those roof lines originally. Today is a great day, of course.... to eat that statement. That head is bizarre as hell.....but I hope it runs like a scalded ape !

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  2. I always hate seeing original, complete cars getting butchered up. I this case, all I can say is, "Damn!!!!"
    If you look at a lot of old sales brochures, the artwork usually shows a lower roofline. Why the manufacturers didn't build cars, that matched the ad copy, has always baffled me. This car is what should have been built

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. I may have the lens for that center lamp. Don't know if I will be using it on my '31 Dodge coupe....

4. Oooops! Not the same....sorry.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Oh, man, do I love this build! Any progress since then? I love the oval-shaped fog light too. That's neat!

Desoto.jpg

kiwijeff and Hitchhiker like this.
  6. A long overdue update.
    001 (2).JPG 001.JPG 002.JPG 004 (2).JPG 004.JPG 001.JPG 003.JPG

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  7. Well the pictures definitely posted .... I counted 25 cadences of "ooooo-wow, whoah, yowza, and so forths, and then some". Let's make a flip pages video now. Awesome car in action man. I like it !!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Oops... Sorry for the multiple photos

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. 32 desoto 7-15 014.jpg that's a COOL car!...in 32 they got the roof rite from the factory...but yours looks even better....if you change the wheel color how about maroon?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I love this car..

11. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really, really nice. But what's the lettered-up car in the garage??

12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I love this car so much.

13. DeSoto29

DeSoto29
    from australia

I have only just found this thread and WOW.
    This car is amazing. Back in the day Chrysler did drawings of the cars for advertising and the owners manuals. The drawings always looked lower and sleeker than that car looked in real life.
    This car looks like the drawings of the day.
    Good work man this is killer

MoparMontana likes this.
  14. Wow awesome car and that engine is about as bad ass as it gets, IMO!! Looking forward to seeing more.

-Chris

15. Another update. First off, thank you all for the kind words. It's fun to see a car you've visualized since you were a kid come to fruition and be appreciated.
    I should have it fired up this weekend, and then it's only brakes and wiring. Someone asked for a photo of the '40 Plymouth gasser in the garage. It's an all original car, that I bought from the original builder. Campaigned all across SoCal until 1984. Ran the Winternationals in 1971. 375 HP 12.5:1 fuel injected slant six on alcohol. 31 desoto.jpg 10733387_10204373505721114_2046893366256996790_o.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  16. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing build ,the Desoto is beautiful car with a nice stance. Looks like a shine runner ,you need a couple Tommie guns in the front seat .

17. 32fenderless

32fenderless

Amazing view you got there!

Ellwood59 likes this.
  18. I know this thread is old but, I've got to say, you built a beautiful car! Oh, and yes, you have an awesome view out your back yard! ;)

19. On the road

Attached Files:

kiwijeff, kidcampbell71 and moose like this.
  20. earlymopar

earlymopar

Yep, saw the 40 for sale in Klamath Falls Oregon a few months ago likely just before you got it. Neat Car!

- EM

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

wow,,, what a great car.

must be nice to live where there are not a bunch of annoying people around. :)

22. Delightful! That video is pure MoParn.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You Sir do have taste...Period.

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do I see a second relative in the awe inspiring background. Man you must get up in the morning, take a nice deep breath looking around and say to yourself "Life is Good".

25. What mufflers are you running? Car looks & sounds great!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  26. The car in the background is a 29 Dodge. It's getting a '39 Imperial straight eight.

Stogy likes this.
  27. BradinNC

BradinNC

A job well done on the car! You have good taste in cars and dogs.

28. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That's an awesome piece of machinery. Not only a rare and beautiful coupe, but a overhead valve conversion! And then you topped it with a blower,you are one of the coolest SOB alive!

Is that stock headlights? They look oversized and too high. But other then that, it's a very beautiful car, gently rodded and very hot!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    kidcampbell71 likes this.