Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 409 powered 1960 Corvair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NASTY 1, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I can't wait to hear video. This may be the ultimate sleeper.

2. Like a 911 Don't lift in a corner!!!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Did Corvair make an SS? No, but you did Super Sleeper, very clean install.
    When I read the title I just knew you were putting it in the front.
    Godspeed
    MrC.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Deceptively WICKED! Would love to see and hear a video of her.

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. That's where I would have but it or at least behind the front seat. :D

it is going to be a monster and lifting the wheels won't be a problem at all. Maybe better put some casters on the bumper. :D

bowie likes this.
  6. raven

raven

We need an update.
    r

7. Muttley

Muttley

Even this guy applauds your efforts...............

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  8. frank spittle

frank spittle

This is one of those cars it will be impossible to get a good picture of anywhere it stops! Outstanding planning and execution.

9. ace5043

ace5043
    from Florida

Very Cool but has Ralph Nader seen this yet

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. I helped a friend put a SBC in the front of a Vair with fantastic results but I like the transaxle with the 409 shoe horned in there!

11. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I can't find it in me to hate a car, but why did the car get such a bad rep, I know mr Nader got a big part of it.

Was it just a scare campaign for the new and free thinkers? Or was it a witch/crusade to bring Chevy in miss credit with the buyers?
    Or was it unsafe at any speed?

Found this on wiki:

In 1999, a New York University panel of journalists ranked Unsafe at Any Speed 38th among the top 100 pieces of journalism of the 20th century.

Scares me a little, if this is just a witch hunt, like pintos blowing up, and then it gets so much flag.

Sorry for the thread jacking.

Does it scare you when driven. We are talking a big block in the rear! Talk about "white knuckle racing"

12. seen this in person and he has done a great job. Now about that 409 in the ford tractor......

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Ralph Nader was a flaming asshole. He use data from a series of tests GM did with the rear suspension stops removed to deliberately roll the car to check body strength and said the cars would roll over easily. In reality even in the tests they had trouble getting them to roll over. We had a '62 Spyder and the car handled like it was on rails.

j-jock, cptn60 and volvobrynk like this.
  14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Let's see, I suppose you could have used standard rotation, turned the interior around and had a front engine, rear steer, suicide door Corvair. But people would think it strange..

wingnutz and volvobrynk like this.
  15. atch

atch

My first car was a '64 Monza and I've had many cars (of about every variety) since, including a Corvette. excepting the 'vette the 'vair cornered better than any car I've ever had. Screw Nader.

Now back to the thread about this exceptional project.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They handle great, up to the point of coming out of a hard S bend ; and a rear wheel decides to fold under. We found ourselves about fifty feet into a cow pasture. I guess we were pushn' that little '64 Spyder a bit to hard...past it's limit!

17. Really like the fact that this is a 4-door, beyond awesome!!

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  18. But Bowie, the difference between a 61 / 64 vs. 65 / 69 is like night and day.

Hnstray likes this.
  19. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Firengine103: I 've never had the opportunity to wail on a later model one. I'd love to crank one of those into and out of that same S bend, just to see how she would do. Always wondered about those "Stingers".

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

True, if I remember right Hot Rod did an article where they made some mods and made the Corvair out handle the Corvette on a slalom course. The thing I was disheartened about was GMs decision to cave and drop production of the Corvair, which gave Ralph Nader legitimacy.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Ran slalom meets with our '62 and never had a problem. Will admit that the car was lowered about 1 1/2" from stock ride height, but I always felt Nader was full of shit.

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  22. NASTY 1

NASTY 1

Engine has been converted to reverse rotation by use of different camshaft and a special gear on the distributor, if I remember correctly :( I also added a thrust button on the front of cam.:) thanks for your question :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. NASTY 1

NASTY 1

I got my video camera out of storage, I hope to get some videos soon, sorry there won't be any wheelies , just some mild driving etc LOL :)

bowie likes this.
  24. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Many believe that GM would have killed the Vair in 66 if the book had not came out. GM continued production at great losses and kept making them through 69, although at marginal numbers in 68 and 69. I've owned a whole bunch of Corvairs, and have done cornering things with them that few modern cars could match. A well set up late model can be absolutely thrilling to drive and downright scary to an unsuspecting passenger.

T-roaster likes this.
  25. not even a little teensie one?

26. Still watching!

27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

On the contrary: GM "stubbornly refusing" to axe the Corvair is what gave Nader legitimacy. It cost GM a bit at the time but it ultimately worked in its favour. GM couldn't get the advantage of what Nader was doing except by playing the big bad corporation. It's not an unusual tactic for the established motor industry - especially GM around that time.

Compare the conversation around the catalytic converter in the '60s. GM develops the doohickey as a sort of curiosity; GM acquires various platinum interests around the world dirt cheap; at the same time concerns about air quality on the US west coast due to vehicle traffic levels are coming up. People are demanding reductions in vehicle traffic, which would have been a disaster for GM. What does GM do? It "stubbornly refuses" to fit the doohickey to its cars. All of a sudden the debate isn't about traffic levels any more, but about the doohickey. After a lot of jumping up and down legislation is introduced to "force" GM not only to use its doohickey but also to sell it to everyone else. The value of platinum-series metals rises on sudden demand, and the rest is history.

Of course GM couldn't keep it up because what's sauce for GM is sauce for Toyota too. The real victim was all the small regional independent manufacturers history never got the chance to record. Them, ourselves, and ironically, the environment.

Hnstray likes this.
  28. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

You are correct. The Corvair was doomed by the muscle car race and its own corporate marketing confusion. GM's need to look tough did legitimize Nader and it caused Corvairs to be made through 69 just like I said above. They were practically hand building them at the end, it was crazy. The GM of the 60s and 70s is the textbook example of corporate arrogance.

29. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Hence the GM exec. quote : "What's good for GM is good for America"
    Now there's arrogance !!
    dave
    BTW , the early swing axle tempest was as bad if not worse than the corvair setup

30. 1934coupe

1934coupe

How far must we stray!

Pat