Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Just another little Route 66 jaunt...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by five-oh, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Gman0046

Gman0046

Great photos, thanks for sharing. I'd really like to do the RT 66 trip. If I ever do it it will be in the fall.

Gary

five-oh likes this.
  2. Drive'em

Drive'em

Thank you very much for sharing your trip. That sure looked like fun. I did a western version of old Route 66 from So Cal to Arizona.

five-oh likes this.
  3. EAK69

EAK69

How far did you get on the route in Kansas? I purchased the old Front Street Garage in Galena and it was about 3 miles west of the "Welcome to Galena" sign you shot. My neighbor is the original Tow Mater (Tater) which Disney saw and used to create Tow Mater for the movie CARS.
    I plan on restoring the building back to the way it looked in 1947 and open it up as a Form Model A Museum, a White Rose Gas Museum and then a part of it will be transformed into a 1940's diner.
    Ed
    Route 66 World / Front Street Garage

Attached Files:

Caprice89, five-oh and Model T1 like this.
  4. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Yep, saw it....looked at the old Ford ton across the street from your neighbor too...more pics coming

5. Model T1

Model T1

Thanks for the ride. Loved your photos and descriptions. Amazing what's still along those old routes.
    It's great that people like EAK69 are rebuilding and making parts of our history available again.
    Stop in and say hi and buy something from those people.
    Still love the old iron bridges which were all over central Illinois when I was young. Nothing like driving over a wooden bridge floor.

five-oh likes this.
  6. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

After the Galena sign pic, we preceded into Galena, stopping here... Route 66 day one 174 cars on route.jpg Where we met the REAL TowMater...who in spite looking like a '55-'57 Chevrolet in the movie was actually an International... Route 66 day one 172 real mater.jpg
    His movie start twin... Route 66 day one 173movie star mater.jpg We didn't stay long in Galena and didn't take a lot of the pics of murals, ect. because it was hot, we were tired, and I had many pics of them from previous trips...we proceeded on and the next pic stop was, in my opinion, the crown jewel of Kansas Rt.66.... Route 66 day one 185 marsh arch sign.jpg Route 66 day one 191 marsh and rusty front.jpg Route 66 day one 187 marsh bridge 2.jpg
    Absolutely beautiful, and kudos to the state for not ripping it out and hauling it off for scrap.

Attached Files:

Model T1 likes this.
  7. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

We then headed off to Indian Territory. My plan for taking a pic at state line signs was blown out of the water by a tail gating truck... Route 66 day one 195 indian territory.jpg We continued into Commerce, Oklahoma and ate ice cream here... Route 66 day one 198 commerce ice cream.jpg took a quick pic here... Route 66 day one 199commerce filling station.jpg And continued into Miami, Oklahoma, where we got a room for the night, showered, and went to get dinner at Waylon's KuKu Burger. Food was delicious, but my mind had taken leave, a victim of 100 degree plus temps, and I didn't get any pics. We went by the local Walmart and got another case of water for the ancient ice chest, and was approached by an intoxicated young lady trying to sell magazines or something. After I revealed my profession, she decided to find someone more likely to buy her scam, and complimented me on the truck as she was leaving...

Model T1 likes this.
  8. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

The next morning we set out to find another of my favorite pieces of Route 66- the "sidewalk highway" or "Ribbon Road". After a couple of wrong turns and backtracking, we found it. The first half of it is in extremely poor shape.. I don't know how to preserve it, but I fear a few more years and it will be all but gone... rt 66 day 2 025 sidewalk highway 1.jpg I apologize for the shadows, but we had hit the road early in the morning to take advantage of the cooler air. One of the tradeoffs was less than perfect lighting for photos, which is evident when coupled by a novice photographer such as myself.. rt 66 day 2 026sidewalk highway2.jpg rt 66 day 2 031 sidewalk highway monument.jpg The monument doesn't say it, but I've read that the reason this strip of highway is only one lane is that the State of Oklahoma didn't have the money for their share at the time, so rather than pave halfway, they simply paved one lane down the center of the roadbed. Makes sense- if you meet someone just pull over. :p
    Whether true or not, it's a very cool stretch of rural highway.
    We then continued toward Afton, where we would discover our early morning travelling deprived us of touring the Packard collection located there....When we first entered I snapped a quick pic of Rest Haven Motel...Unfortunately, it appears to have became VERY low rent housing in very poor shape. rt 66 day 2 035 rest haven sign.jpg Across the road..... rt 66 day 2 042 packard.jpg rt 66 day 2 046 afton packard.jpg We snapped a couple of pics, peered through the windows at old Packards that I'd love to have saw closer and loved to drive even more, then continued on through the heat.

Model T1 likes this.
  9. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Great pictures and descriptions!! Never get tired of seeing some of these sites.
    Thanks.

five-oh likes this.
  10. Thanks for all the pictures, I'm going to explore the rout this September.

11. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

We continued along the old road, keeping an eye out for cool stuff, like this bridge over Pryor Creek... rt 66 day 2 052prior creek bridge.jpg rt 66 day 2 054 pryor creek monument.jpg Riding these little forgotten segments is fun... As we continued on, we tried to keep an eye out for things that might not be in the guidebooks. Coming into Chelsea, we saw the murals on the town walls just off of 66, so we stopped and got a pic while parked on very cool old brick streets. Uncle Ron made the comment that it must've taken forever to lay them by hand- the magnitude of such a job is mind blowing to me... rt 66 day 2 059 chelsea mural.jpg
    As we pulled away, Uncle Ron remarked that it'd be cool to see the first oil well, and it was too bad that they didn't have a replica to show. (He's from Missouri, the Show Me State, and had never ventured into Oklahoma before). Just after he said that, we turned onto Route 66 (seeing a '50's Chrysler whose owner nodded, but didn't seem interested in talking, sitting at a nearby parking lot) and headed west.
    We had not gone a mile when I spotted a small sign indicating directions to "Oklahoma's First Oil Well". And, just like that, we were off exploring. About five miles down a country road, I was beginning to think I'd missed it, when a sign appeared with a arrow...we followed it and about two miles later, another arrow and sign. Finally, nearly 10 miles from where we started we found it... rt 66 day 2 072oil well and rusty.jpg rt 66 day 2 065 oil well.jpg

Model T1 likes this.
  12. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Next touristy stop was in Foyil, and another side trip to see the world's largest totem pole, which they were power washing.... rt 66 day 2 078 totem pole 2.jpg rt 66 day 2 081 totem pole base and uncle ron.jpg rt 66 day 2 075 totem pole 1.jpg All in all, a cool sight, although one with a lot of kids running around....
    Then it was on to Catoosa to see Big Blue. rt 66 day 2 086rusty blue whale.jpg
    (Man, I've got to fix that door handle. It works fine but is missing a spring to pull it back to level)
    We walked around the Blue Whale's little park, and I climbed back into the upper level to try to find my daughter's signature we signed a few years back. Apparently a lot of people do this- I couldn't find hers anywhere.
    As we prepared to leave, I noticed a van come whipping in with a passenger holding a big movie camera. I didn't think much about it...

Model T1 likes this.
  13. Great pics, thanks!

14. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Shortly after I see a bright yellow Mustang convertible driving along with two guys hanging off the back with big cameras... That, my friends, in my line of work should be a clue...however, I was totally focused on their subject... auburn 2resized.jpg
    A '35 Auburn. Drool was running....
    The driver pulls it into the same spot I had taken Rusty's picture at before. As they get out and walk into the park with camera crew following every move, I asked one of the guys with the group, the driver of the Mustang, what they were filming. "T.V Show". Okay. I'm thinking documentary, and go off to look at what interests me- the auburn and rusty resize.jpg
    Auburn. Grabbed a pic of it and Rusty, then turn to leave. At this point the driver came out of the park sans cameras, and calls to me, asking about Rusty. I told him then asked what year the Auburn was, never knowing I'm talking to a celebrity, and asked where they were heading. "South Dakota".
    He bends his head down to look in Rusty, and my uncle lets out a squeal like a 16 year old girl. "My god, it's American Pickers! Mike! Can we get a picture?!?!"
    Mike and Danielle were both gracious enough to let us take pics, although we didn't have time to talk much as they
    . uncle ron and american pickers resize.jpg were filming. ^ Uncle Ron with Mike and Danielle...
    me and american pickers resized.jpg
    Me with Mike and Danielle..
    After returning home, I posted on Mike's facebook page thanking him for taking the time for the pic and got a "Killer truck, man" comment in return. Ha! Made my day..

rjones35 and Model T1 like this.
  15. Deucecoupe

Deucecoupe

Very cool !
    Thanx for sharing. Looks like you guy's had a blast !

five-oh likes this.
  16. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Continuing on into Tulsa, I concentrated on finding the Route. I'm sure we passed many picture opportunities, but at this point we were looking for food. Finally stopped at Billy Ray's BBQ, which was pretty good food, then proceeded on down the highway, stopping here for pics of a train and Tulsa's oil derrick.. rt 66 day 2 092 tulsa train.jpg rt 66 day 2 094 tulsa oil derrick.jpg For some reason, I can't find the pic I took at the base of it, but it had a large "Route 66" sign inset...
    Another train pic rt 66 day 2 097 tulsa train 3.jpg Then a side road segment of Old 66, I think this was a "Brushy Creek" bridge- they are all running together on me now.LOL rt 66 day 2 101 brush creek bridge.jpg An abandoned drive inn still hanging on.. rt 66 day 2 102 abandoned drive in.jpg

Model T1 likes this.
  17. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Finally, we came into Stroud. A little late for lunch, a little early for dinner, and very hot... so we stopped for a bowl of ice cream... rock cafe 2.jpg rt 66 day 2 103 rock cafe.jpg
    After discussing the prospect of fighting Oklahoma City traffic at quitting time, we decided that this would be a good place to leave the Mother Road until next year. Breaking out the maps, we mapped a route to I-40 and eastbound. As soon as possible, around 75 miles of interstate later, we found Oklahoma 266 which parallels I 40 and slowed back down.
    We stopped for the night in Fort Smith, where HAMB'r Minnesota68 and his lovely wife came and picked us up at the hotel - in an AIR CONDITIONED car!!-, took us out for a delicious meal and carried us by a local cruise night..
    The next morning, we walked around Judge Parker's courtyard grounds, took a pic or two... arkansas train.jpg ...and headed home.
    Zero problems out of Rusty the '46, who averaged nearly 28mpg on the first tank, 25 on the second (Tulsa searching destroyed my mileage) and 28 on the third. We drove somewhere north of 870 miles, and loved every minute.
    If you plan on doing Route 66, I would definitely advise a/c or doing it in the fall...lol Having said that- one of the best little 3 day trips I've taken, and we are already planning next years' road trip! Thanks for tagging along!

philly the greek and Model T1 like this.
  18. 36 coupe

36 coupe
    BANNED

Mate that was a great read, thanks for posting.

five-oh likes this.
  19. Model T1

Model T1

Those are some really nice pictures. And it just shows you have to be at the right places at the right times.
    I think Danielle is hot but don't tell my wife!:p

five-oh likes this.
  20. Caprice89

Caprice89

Wow. What an awesome ride, with pictures to match! Thanks for sharing this wonderful trip. The wife and me are very very jealous. :) Next time we're in the States, we want to go on a similar trip.

five-oh likes this.
  21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the ride! Great pics and an awesome read.

five-oh likes this.
  22. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

great thread. in 1970, two friends and i did a road trip and came back from l.a. via route 66. one scary "almost" happened about 30 minutes after we passed the spot: striking teamsters fired on a loaded dynamite truck. it exploded and made about a 50-foot hole in the highway!

Model T1 likes this.
  23. Thanks for posting, I enjoyed it very much.

five-oh likes this.
  24. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Looking forward to your next episode .

five-oh likes this.
  25. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Nice , thanks again !

five-oh likes this.
  26. chargin03

chargin03

Thanks for pics looks like a great time !

five-oh likes this.
  27. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Thanks for the pictures. I've been to some of those stops but not all.

28. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Thanks for the pictures looks like you had a good time that trip is on my bucket list someday or year kept saying that every year like to take my 50 ford wit v8 flathead

29. Very kool trip.....keep em coming ;)

30. hudson48

hudson48

Thanks for the trip. Brought back memories of our trips in 1995 and 2009. Had dinner one night at the Rock Café in Stroud. They had a fire there a several years back and were just getting to reopen in 2009 when we came through.
    I remember the original owners had a sign that said "never trust a skinny chef" and he was one big boy!!!

five-oh likes this.