Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Window question..

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Al, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

When I bought a 37 Ford Tudor it was gutted. I have been buying parts here and there. I am trying to put in the rear side glass. I made a template. My question is.. Which is the rear Mech.?? I have 3 different sets, and two different channels.. Thanks

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      69.3 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      67.9 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      67.3 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      69.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. dtracy

dtracy

I vote for the one with the ViseGrips attached.

4. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Okay. Also. Is there a trick to getting the channels on?? Is there some special tool that pulls that spring back in order to slide the channel on??

5. blazedogs

blazedogs

6. blazedogs

blazedogs

Glass Cutting

Little off the subject. But I'm find it a bit hard to find companies that will cut(flat) tinted glass anymore for our old cars with sending templates. There are a lot of us chopping roofs,replacing old cracked glass etc. One would think this would be a money maker. Local shops to me blow us off,don't want to bother with it,just want the big new car insurance jobs.. A sign of the times maybe Gene

7. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I went through Sanders Glass. $650 for all of my glass. Fronts are clear. All of the rest are light grey. No film. The tinting is inside the glass. The can cut glass for any project.

8. Eh!Bob

Eh!Bob

I also vote for the one with vise grips. I have had good luck getting glass cut at a local industrial glass shop that does mostly large store windows etc. But they can only do flat glass like side windows because it is tempered

9. Budget36

Budget36

If you head over to the FordBarn, there'd be no question which is which.

10. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went to Vintage Glass (see link below) for the side glass in the 49 Ford in the avatar. I sent templates for the rear glass and wind wings, and asked them to use their pattern for the door glass. I have since sold the car and I gave the new owner all of the receipts but I think it was about $350 for six pieces including shipping. A local guy wanted $250 to do one rear glass. That it was sent me on a search. The 49 had window regulators only for the doors, I used all of the parts of a parts car to replace the parts I didn't have. Wish I could have gave a good answer to the original
    poster:(

11. blazedogs

blazedogs

Glass cutting

Sorry ,didn't make myself clear Yup,a lot of venders have glass for different cars, I was referring to shops that( custom cut) glass for us guys that chop the roof. Gene

12. dtracy

dtracy

I don't think you will find a company that will cut glass from a template for a chopped top. I think you will have to take the car to the glass shop and have them make the template and cut the glass, and if it's a curved windshield they probably won't cut it at all. Tempered can't be cut so if you need a modified back window you will probably have to use plex or equivilant, or have the glass custom made by a manufacturer (big money). Chopping a car gets really involved and no two are never the same. You take two inches out of the top of car "A" and two inches out of car "B", the glass made for car "A" probably won't fit car "B" correctly. Welding on car bodies changes everything.

Thanks, Dave.

13. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I just received my new glass for '40 coupe from Street Rod Glass CA. owner is Carson Hobson. I got the slight green tint (solex I believe) safety glass fronts, tempered sides and rear (I am installing '39 deluxe doors 1 piece glass vs. my vent window '40) Carson walked me thru how to and sent the glass within 2 weeks all for $510 + shipping of $25 very knowledgeable and sent me sealer to eliminate leaks. I suggest you call him at (951) 789-8870 he has clear, grey and the green. Good luck, If you have questions about the window mechanisms go to the drake catalog they have great pictures for references.
    Geoford41

14. I disagree the vise grip one being rear. That slotted groove is for the front, the window slides back a couple inches and then down. At least on my 37 Ford Ute (utility coupe) my front have that groove. I would say the one without the grooved piece, picture numbers 3 and 4, are for the rear. Also the window channel with the centered tab is similar to my front.

15. jim galli

jim galli

Picture 3 is your front door roller mech. Pic one and 2 are same except left and right? Screw holes should line up. In pic 4 the top channel is the rear, lower one is the front.