Register now to get rid of these ads!

History How did you find the Hamb?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 15, 2015.

1. dadseh

dadseh

It was 14 yrs ago, I can't remember last week!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I asked the butcher.

Murphy32 and Sancho like this.
  3. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I was on a RR site from time to time, and there were always someone making references to the HAMB as a bunch of pissed off old men that think they are better than anyone else and think their hacked up old cars were the last real hot rods. Well, one day I decided to see what this HAMB thing was all about. The first thread I read was a build thread for a 32 roadster. I was amazed by the detail and quality the builder put into it, not to mention his talent. I hung out for like an hour and a half reading the entire build. After checking out several more threads, it was clear that the guys on the other site hated this place because they their builds would get crucified here and having the RR mentality, they are convinced welding a junkyard together and in a big spiderweb is true hot rodding. This site has more talent and knowledge than any other place I've found. Not only that, it's become an addiction and constant source of inspiration. Needless to say, I've never been back to the other site.

4. @lukythirteenagogo, you made me think about one of the first threads i remember, titled something like "saved another 32 from the crusher" hooked from then on.

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. MalloMike

MalloMike

tb33anda3rd !

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  6. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

Sad day when I found out about the HAMB. A friend called and said there is a thread on a site called the HAMB about " Sam" being killed in an accident. Look up the HAMB and the thread honoring Richard "Sam" Sampson. There have been many great threads since that sad first one!! RIP "Sam" The Original Hot Rod Junkie.

7. wow! I hooked up with the HAMB after lot's of web sites searches it came up to check the HAMB. I hung out in the back ground for a couple years and at long last signed up in around 09. Can't live with out it these days. Great site for all types of information, with tons of great guys and hot rods.
    Thanks Ryan for all you do to keep this going for all of us to enjoy.

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

yes, this place has become a lot like an extended family,
    we hear and share and pay respect,
    I've lost friends here I've never even met..
    but it's the good stuff that keeps me here
    wouldn't have it any other way.

9. HAAA! It was funny as hell but unfortunately I think the thread got deleted. Benno, you were in great form! If I remember correctly some woman came on here looking for models (women) to model with some cars for some kind of print deal. Cocky as all hell. She was all set to make some money off people but didn't want to pay for the talent and didn't have any kind of modeling release form. I'll admit that Benno and a few of us rode her a bit. The fact that she took such offense only encouraged us. Before long she got pissed and called porknbeaner a faggot! I about fell out of my chair! :D

10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Absolutely, through the HAMB we get to meet and exchange ideas with people from all over the globe, nothing else like it. The same as it is with our immediate families, we will lose those friends at some point in time, we can not escape the circle of life. But I feel enriched by making acquaintance with them and I have certainly learned some things from some of them too.

11. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Is there any way to access this thread?

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yes! That was the logo that looked me bare in the face...'Hokey-Ass-Message-Board?' O.K., let's look inside...
    It was better than late nite hangin' at "the Ranch". (Burger Farm, in Santa Clara.)
    All the heads would show up around 11:00 P.M. for coffee and car gab...I liked the ol' Ranch, I'd show up in dirty Levis from welding all evening, be driving somebody's rod I was working on, the guys would come outside, we'd trade glances at each other's latest 'updates'...
    I thought it was all over, hell, Larry C. and Willy and Tony all quit comin' out in '64, everybody got married...
    It would be a scant 35 years, and I'd find the Hamb! Hang on, guys...It's gonna be a bumpy ride! :cool:

13. Model T1

Model T1

Okay after I found the HAMB in the fridge I was on stationwagonfourms and several members there kept mentioning a HAMB site for old guys who like old cars and are fairly car smart.
    I found the HAMB and lots of interesting car posts. Still looking for a smart member.
    Then I got addicted! Sure wished I'd found the HAMB years ago.
    A young guy named Ryan was busy helping his wife have a baby but he helped me get signed up.

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I vaguely recall that one! Yeah, I had the same reaction, like: "WHAAAAT?" Laughed 'til it hurt.
    There have been some 'doozies', all right.

15. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

My other hobby is hit/miss farm engines. I was on Smokstak.com, and the subject of cars came up on one thread. Someone mentioned the HAMB, and I had no idea what they meant. So, I went to Google and typed in HAMB, and it brought me here. That was, what, 8 years and 6 cars ago?....

Model T1 likes this.
  16. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

H3O (HAMB member from a while back) turned me on to it back in 2008 or 9. I've met lots of great friends through here and I love every minute I'm on here.

17. pontman

pontman

Did a google search for ham and found the HAMB

18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Back in 2009, a customer/friend named Jim Lindsay, wanted to see if I would build him HAMB Dragster. I did't have a clue what they were, and wasn't too hot with a computer, but tuned in. After getting upgraded from dial-up to hi-speed, I joined in April 2011. I didn't just find information, I found a Brotherhood with old pros and neophytes, and everything in between. It was a forum that had a such diversity of subjects and some damn talented people. I was also warned about the need for a thick skin, and somehow have not been embroiled in any controversial topics. It has been fun communicating with like minded people around the world, and some real characters. Many thanks to the photographers and reporters, professional or otherwise, that attend events that many of us cannot attend. They provide entertainment for us all. One of the most important things I learned on here, Beano and I lived in the same town (Forest Grove, Or) at or around the same time. Thank you all !!!!!!!!

Model T1 and volvobrynk like this.
  19. LMFAO I remember that she wanted girls to model and didn't want to shell out any cash. I should have offered to model for her, I look good in a pair of pumps. :D

@Atwater Mike @Saxman and all the rest of you hoodlums, we have had and still have a lot of fun here and fun free of charge. I don't know how to actually express my appreciation to the Boss for keeping us around and all the rest of you hoodlums for being here to have fun with. Hell I am not even sure if I used more then one language that there are enough words to do it.

Murphy32, lothiandon1940 and Saxman like this.
  20. mike bowling

mike bowling

I was looking for info. on channeling a '31 coupe, and put something on Fordbarn asking about it.( my first post ever on a car site). Well, I got some info. all right!! I was told "This is a restorer's site, not for you G.D. "hot-rodders!! Go to the HAMB site" I got about 6 really nasty responses to my question, then some guys explained the difference between the sites and actually apologised for the hard core replies. I found the HAMB, and have been living happily online ( too often) since. Thanks to Ryan and staff for supplying a place to hide from those Radical Restorers!

Model T1 likes this.
  21. I have no clue. I surf a lot of other sites, mostly post on a Longhorn based site (Shaggybevo.com) & am probably under 200 posts here.
    Was probably cross posted on another site somewhere & I don't think it was word of mouth vs. word of web.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. I am out of time today. I just noticed your sig line. Cool but it is backward, I have always wanted to not be a misfit. I aint never fit in anywhere. I once was told by a very infamous man with a motorcycle in front of other men like him. " Hell Benno even among misfits you're a misfit."

Model T1 likes this.
  23. Tman told me about it when we lived in Rapid City, SD.

24. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Bought a neat little Model A sedan from a guy who kept telling me about these HAMB Drags and this "Hokey Ass" message board. Finally, went to the drags and was hooked - 2010!!!! Yea, I'm a slow learner!!

Model T1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

A little bit after I first downloaded the HAMB phone app, one of my kids asked me what I was doing as he looked at my phone. As soon as he saw the title on top he yelled, "Mom, Dad's on something called the 'Hokey A-word Message Board!'. Then I told him it was like facebook for hot rods because people only talk about things that matter.

Model T1 and Dick Stevens like this.
  26. C9 referred me to the hamb. Some of you newbys wont know him.

27. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Bought my first old ford in 02. Just stumbled on both ford barn and the hamb at the same time. Mostly because I wanted to learn about flatheads and how to keep them running. Glad I did.

28. Beeno,misfit extraordinaire! :D HRP

29. I bought a 56 Pontiac wagon on eBay in 2007 for my wife. The seller , Mule Farmer, told me about it as a place to look for other pics of the car, been hooked ever since. Still have the car too.