Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

The HAMB... affliction of too many projects has just infected me with no cure in sight.
    I've had to slide my "Runnin Shine" build to the side literally. If you have read that thread or hear me blabber on other fellas. I have dropped reference a couple times that for a few years now I've been planning a second more important build. I pulled the trigger, sold some stuff in a hurry, sent the guy some money to hold it, and hopefully go in a couple weekends, trailer in tow, to bring home the new foundation. A 1934 Tudor, the most rusty pile ever seen, or up there with some of my favorite HAMB builds. Thanks to L Timo and the classifieds here that I should never be reading.
    The Tribute... is inspired by a tale told at my Grandparents home over dinner with my then new bride. So my Grandmother and wife were romancing over the ways that they had met their amazing handsome catches( me and Gramps) and comparing war stories of courting. Me and him were sharing one too many bottles of wine and old movie quotes. At some point Grandma chimes in with "Bill? You remember that old car you had when we first met?" Gramps returns with a slow what are you getting at response "yeah" Grandma moves the conversation deeper. "My husband there of sixty odd years once picked me up at my parents house in a junky old thing that had "Hubba Hubba" painted on the side!" My grandparents started dating just at the end of high school in 48 or 9 so they both still lived at home. Me, "What did you drive over there sir?" Gramps, "oh just a old Model A Ford","my first automobile". Me, "a roadster?" "Nagh, a two door sedan" "we called'm a Tudor". My brain "holy shit" My mouth "what! was painted on the sides?" Gramps again, "oh just something we use to say back when I was still a kid when us boys saw a nice to look at young gal" "Hubba, Hubba" "where did you paint that at grandpa, the door sides?" "No just in front of them on the hood, or no just between the hood and doors" "the hoods had vents in them" Me, "gee wiz you had a Hot Rod grampa?" "No just a cut up old jalopy" me one last time "Flathead?" Gramps "four, we all were poor back then". My brain,"Damn this guy was cool, and I love him".
    The Build... So I wanna do something along the lines of the Gender reassignment and a 4 door to a 5w or 3w type debauchery only from the other end. I have really wanted a 32 but you know how it goes. So I also love 3w mostly for the suicide doors. I have a whole front end and rusty closed car cowl that need sides for sure. Starting with the rustiest and cheapest junk metal I don't feel guilty about this. I'm going to cut the 34 cowl off and graft on the 32. My goal is that with replacing the side frame rails w/32s is to have something that looks like a mid transition idea type design, a 32 Tudor w/suicide doors, or a 3w with back side glass. I think 33-34 are just beautiful don't get me wrong but I love 32s a tad more, I can't help it, it is what it is.
    The Car... Late 40s, fender less, 3.5"r-4"f chop, flatty, open top, full hood, highboy, as another HAMB'r said" throw it together crusty then blow it apart later to make it shiny" And because we here have to have pictures or it didn't happen... Get your dustpans and brooms ready!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437014367.615079.jpg
    I am leaving the paint and blending in dull and worn look with rattle can over the extensive patches that will be taking place. 16" steelies, RAKE!, Guide headlights, gas tank hangin out back, and no offense to some but a "Doane Spencer" type front end setup. Only problem is I like frame horns, oh well. I don't want to drop my 37 axle for this guy, I'm in a big hurry I want to drive this thing with the family and lure them in. My wife is semi on board because of the "seats four" angle she questioned when I started my PU. Time to take a deep breath but I'm to excited.
    "hello Rusty Jones good by rusty caaaaar"

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    chryslerfan55, Stogy, Clark and 8 others like this.
  2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Well I like the name a lot,it's the same name I gave my 1917 Hupmobile hotrod roadster project I started playing with a few years ago,"Hubba Hubba Hup",go for it an have fun.

Stogy, volvobrynk and Runnin shine like this.
  3. I had one of them once. Looks like fun but don't be in such a hurry it wears you down. Yep, we would like some more pics. Tim 009.JPG

4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Anyone gonna want the 34's dash I'm gonna put in a 32 probably 3w. The car dash tunnel is the only thing I'm stealing from my truck build but I have a plain PU one for it anyway. I think I'll get another set of gauges for truck unless something better for the Tudor comes along. I'll sell the 34 speedo separate.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437063277.344665.jpg
    This was for the truck. It's a car tunnel, I was going to shorten it, then I got a PU one to switch the panels. Glad I didn't get around to it. Will the oil and temp stick out as wrong for late 40's? And will I have to use a 48 or older motor pre distributor kicking up in front of the right head? I have access to a 8ba.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    chryslerfan55, Stogy and volvobrynk like this.

5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Tim check back in a couple weeks. I'll post pics of me doing "Skids" cause it probably doesn't roll! Lol.

Stogy likes this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

well you certainly have a dream. and a challenge. unless you have a lot of free time and $ there will be no rushing this project to make it comfortable and safe for your Family.

Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  7. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Safety is paramount, I won't cut corners, except the pillars, get it? Four corners? I'm gonna do the best @Flop imitation I can muster on the floor and patches.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah I can't do that @Bass 11 week stuff. I'm shooting for just over a year. With no real paint work I think it is doable. I hope building a flathead doesn't hold me up. It's tuff when you have a ton of Hi Po ford Windsor stuff just laying around. I've started to sell some of that to fund this though.

9. Damn. I found a back half for your cab in New York too. Oh well ... to the victor go the spoils !! Hammers at the ready ? Welder check ? Shit in the garage ? Life is good. Congrats' !

10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

These are quick glance kinda the look rods in my direction. Except for maybe the front suspensions, spokes, lights on the 32, and front sheet metal on the 34. The influences will be to long to list.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437018234.658348.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437018301.466496.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437018537.134423.jpg
    I have some ideas to get it away from any "bones" stereo type even with ditching the front horns. I cross my fingers.

11. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

I'd love to have that dash but I bet shipping would be nuts to get it to Tx. The build plan sounds cool, I've kept an eye on your truck build too. Good luck with it all.

Stogy, black_dog41 and Runnin shine like this.
  12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

With my buying and selling experience I'd guess probably just under 60 bucks. Ounce I get it out I'll remember you were the first to raise their hand. It's comin out for sure. I don't want any one to think that I've lost love for the truck. With my ADHD I've got new plans running for both builds and stuff being bought for them all the time. I'm actually pumped about using the front 34 bones and getting the axle dropped by Joes for the PU(time to shelve the F1 debacle). I'm stealing the mistakenly cut 37 bones for the 32-4. All call it a trade for the good of all parties involved.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  13. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Why not build it as a 34? You said your gramps had an A so you have kind of already diverted from the original.

A bones"ish" 34 sedan would be a nice car and save a bunch of difficult metalwork and conserve some leg room.

volvobrynk and falcongeorge like this.
  14. alchemy

alchemy

Sorry I can't get on board with replacing the 34 cowl with a 32. There was a 34 built locally last year with 32 grille and gas tank, trying to make it look like a 32. Turned out totally wrong.

Keep the 34 stuff. You can't go wrong with Henry's styling.

chickenshift, X38 and falcongeorge like this.
  15. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

It may work and look ok if you used a full 3w cowl with the roof back to about mid door and used 3w front door tops I'm still tring to envision it you need a good photoshop image.jpg but those cowl pieces are going to cost as much as your body or more!

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Good question dp, but here are some of the convincers I've told myself...
    1. I like 32s most of all(white sheep).
    2. I have the complete 32 Henry car front tin.
    3. I have a original decent 32 v8 radiator.
    4. I despise 33-34 firewalls!
    5. I have a lot of other 32 specific spare bits.
    6. All of this steel is of lesser quality I could afford nobody will miss.
    7. I like the challenge.
    8. My PU build shows I like to cut and splice.
    9. This way will be more entertaining.
    10. Although I am in a hurry to have a fun driver and I may be a sheep, I try to be a grey one.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  17. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I have a cowl, but will need new sides below the belt line.
    My wife's first degree is in photo but photoshop was her expertise. I want her to do that work but I'll probably be sketching stuff before she'll make the time(I'm still trying to get her to help me make "Patiently Waiting" 3wLarry T-shirts).

chryslerfan55, Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Burt... "They said it couldn't be done" Jerry Reed... "Then why we doin it?" Burt... "That's the reason son".

Stogy likes this.
  19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Ha well it is your car! Do what you want with it.

The quest for 32 stuff always reminds me of when I was younger. Guys all chasing the blonde Barbie cheerleader type. And missing out on all the other types of girls who were arguably more fun and less maintenance......

20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Funny, I've never liked blondes except for my Telecasters, and have always been miffed by the fact that most aren't original either.

21. Come on man, can't you tell that heart shaped grill is telling you how much you love model 40's? As much as I love '32 sedans or '32's of any body style, I just couldn't cross breed them. Ya don't really want a schizophrenic car in the garage. Tim 006.JPG

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

seems to me you're gonna have to narrow the body front to back...a 34 is wider than a 32

note to self...make Patiently Waiting T-shirts

23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks Larry I didn't know that. I need a pic of your masterpiece to see if the wife could photo shop a Tudor rear portion on.
    Note to stubborn self...this might not easy at all, damn.

24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

So I I'll probably narrow the windshield and body the lengthwise? Sounds like a hoot, i must be crazy. I don't think I can be deterred with this tunnel vision. Thankfully I have to make new floors and it's open top, saves a few feet of cutting and welding. Anyone have the measurements for a 3w post to post at the front doors top and bottom fore and aft of the door?

25. The enthusiasm for using sawz-alls and cut-off wheels
    around here never ceases to amaze me!

Stogy, Brom, Donald A. Smith and 5 others like this.
  26. Just because you have the parts doesn't mean you should do it. Sell the '32 stuff and buy '33 or '34 stuff.

And why do you despise the '33/34 firewall?

Personally, I still have yet to see a '33/34 with a '32 grille that looks right. The flat edge of the '32 cowl and upright flat shape of the '32 grille work on '32s because of the straight lines of the doors and upright nature of the body. The curve of the '33/34 door and graceful curve of the cowl totally clash with that.

chryslerfan55 and X38 like this.
  27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I'm not trying to make you guys mad here but... I too think slapping on a 32 grill looks terrible. I'm using the whole dog house and cowl, 32 firewall, dash, 34 x members and 32 rails at 32 dimensions. Also why does the swoopy suicide doors of a 3w look good with the 32 front straight lines and rank #2 most desirable ford and my new suicide doors won't? Side note why is it Bass can put a 34 front roof and windshield to cowl on a model A and nobody thinks he's nuts, we're all related after all right?

Truth is I haven't been able to afford a 32 that why I'm takin this route. 32 grills are going for what I am paying for this car, I might spend that much in cut-off wheels. I like to think I'm saving it from another Billet street rodder or the other dingey rodder. I am gonna do this, hope my "brothers" will sit back and enjoy, but of course please continue to contribute, I need this "family" thanks, Wyatt B.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    chryslerfan55, Stogy, A Boner and 5 others like this.
  28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Some would say Bass fixed something that was 'broke" Id be one of them, I think the original Model A windshield header is awkward. Thing is, Model 40 Tudors aint broke. matter of fact, I think they are more "perfect" (heresy alert) than deuce tudors...

29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Slander! Slander! George,

Stogy likes this.
  30. Running shine......I am with you all the way......can't wait to see what you can turn out. I like your plan. As far as the measurements you requested from the 3 window. Are you looking for stock dementions?
    I can give you what mine has and it is an original 3 window that has been chopped hard back in the old days and I know the top was shorten at the measurement between the A pillers. I think the top is standard with at the B pillers. So if this will work for you let me know and I will get the info for you.