Register now to get rid of these ads!

History How did you find the Hamb?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 15, 2015.

1. I was warned that back in the early days you had better have thick skin,it didn't take me to long for my hide to get thick,but some of my best friends are right here on the Hamb,many I have never laid a eye on but feel like we are brothers. HRP

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Doh! Thanks, Benno... Thanks, Tim. Jeez...Turned around, looked for that snake, it was hanging from the ass of my pants.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. On my Captain Marvel Secret Decoder Ring......

4. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I saw an ad in MAD magazine.....................

5. town sedan

town sedan

Cool library.
    I bought my '60 Fairlane in the late 90's before this interweb thing got real big. Sometime in 2005 I was searching for anything pertaining to my forgotten Ford and found the JJ & HAMB. Took awhile to join up, but have been visiting almost everyday since.

Early on I felt like a moth attracted to the flame. Knew I liked all the information and ideas, but..., to say the HAMB is kinder and gentler now is a vast understatement!

In reality it was porknbeaner who kept me coming back. Just as a flaming would really get fired up there he'd be with one of his stories to break the mood. In some ways I miss the old days around here. Thanks for everything Ryan!
    -Dave

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. daddylama

daddylama

I made a left turn and ended up here?

had a Plymouth belvedere that was previously a drag car in the 60s-70s... was looking for images online. found the HAMB. read a lot, registered a few months later as member #500 something.

Viva LA HAMB!

7. ............................and you are member # 723, Mike

8. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I moved to CA in the early 2000s for school and left my old cars behind in storage. Whenever I was screwing around in the computer lab searching old car stuff I kept running into some Honkey website with cool shit on it. I was messing around with little cars from Japan at the time and I didn't actually sign up until I moved back to my old cars in MT 10 years later.

9. Yea the days of calling someone an asshat or worse and then getting together with them for drinks @ Joplin are long gone. I don't know if we are better off for it or not but at least we give the appearance of being nice to the world in general and appearances are everything. ;)

Oh thanks for the compliment, I think.

10. Timbofor

Timbofor

I have still yet to meet a fellow HAMBer face to face. Seems there's not many in the Carson city/ Reno area. I've messaged a few but never a response.

11. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Good to see HRP back in action on the board. Turns out this is a pretty good thread. Not too mellow; not too hostile.

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. You searched for Bingo??:rolleyes:

volvobrynk and LOST ANGEL like this.
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I lurked for about 5 years, a buddy of mine kept saying I should quit lurking and join up so I finally did. I don't think he has posted since...:confused:

14. Way back, reading the Rodders Roundtable forum they said 'stay away' from the HAMB site (bad people were there), so of coarse I had to look!

Steve

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I recall some members saying how they don't like the new format and all, but I have to say there is no other site that I look at (rarely) that is as well laid out and easy to maneuver as the HAMB.
    There had to have been a lot of thought between Ryan and "The German" and many others I'm sure, because I am still finding features that you just don't see on other sites.

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I forgot to respond to the OP's request, but oldsjoe said pretty much how I found the HAMB.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

noboD told me I might enjoy the HAMB over ten yeas ago. He sure was right, EVERYTHING I enjoy about the hobby is here along with some if the finest people in the world. Bob

18. i found it years ago searching the web for something off the wall. Lurked for years, one day I decided to post a question about an old KC area custom (that still haunts my dreams) that thred turned into a really cool 4 page history lesson, and Porkenbeaner, actually new the car and the dude that owned the car. I've been hooked ever since! Don't post much, cuz I ain't ever got much to say, but I waste hours of company time every day on here.

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. No he meant he searched for hot rods and his computer said, "BINGO" and took him to the HAMB. :D

20. I was reading an article in Hot Rod about a car one of the editors was building. He said he found some of the parts in the HAMB classifieds. I Googled HAMB. I read some of the threads, and thought "these guys are as fucked up as I am, I think I like this place". 7 years later I'm still here.

volvobrynk, gas & guns, pat59 and 3 others like this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

22. You ain't right in the head Dean,but your one of the guys that I have immense respect for,you have been beating the hot rod drum for more years that some of our membership has been around. HRP

volvobrynk, bowie and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. I can still hold the drumstick, just can't beat it as hard.

Murphy32, volvobrynk, bowie and 2 others like this.
  24. Ham and Bingo! Yummmm:rolleyes: Actually my wife said I was searching for a "Social Network for Old Guys" and The Hamb came up!:eek:

25. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

I can't remember if I was looking at/for pictures of "Jungle" Pam Hardy or Linda Vaughn, but, either way, a couple of pictures lead me here. Looked interesting, fit my tastes and interests. Oh, and had more pictures of both ladies.

26. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

i was a member of GarageJunkies,remember that site? now garage journal..found the hamb thru that site ...

27. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

I was in class at art school at the time (back in '04) and one of my art professors walks in and says he's got a buddy he'd like me to meet. So I walk with him over to one of the galleries and he introduces me to a fella named Marc D'Estout, who was a sculptor with several works on display. Marc, as it turned out, was also a hot rodder who worked for Hop Up as a freelancer and later as Art Director. He said he'd heard a lot about me and was interested in the work I was doing at the time (my early hot rod work was fairly simplistic). Anyways, he tells me I should check out this place online called the HAMB......says I'd get a kick out of it and that there are other hot rod artists on there I could connect with. Been on here ever since, although I didn't sign up for another 3 years.
    By the way, the very first piece I ever sold was to Marc....a painting of a Model T gow job.

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

he said "stick" and "beat" in the same sentence...:p

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I never had turned on a computer til 2010 when my kids gave me one. Wasn't long til I stumbled on to this site. I don't look at many others. now . I used to sit here reading and bust out laffing, my wife knew where I was. P&B HRP 3window Larry still make me laff , I think we all could get to be friends. Sometimes the younger guys can make you wonder , but we were all there once. Thanks to all of you

30. Model T1

Model T1

How did you find the Hamb?
    I was lookin for beer in the fridge and there it was!:rolleyes:o_O

gas & guns likes this.