Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Orr Trophies

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Nov 6, 2009.

1. wow, some of my favorites!

2. I posted previously that my granddaughter was named after Veda Orr and I was searching for a Veda hubcap

I finally managed to get my hands on one,,even though it is a re-pop made,,,many thanks to Steve Sellers. HRP

[​IMG]

3. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Those trophies are for speed records, not show cars. Any one who would scorn those are pretentious fools.

4. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Did a little research and found that the 1960s building that housed Orr's is still in existence. Located at 17670 Sierra Highway, it is now a pest control business. You can see the architecture is basically unchanged from the late-1960s photo with the '55 Chevy and Mr. Orr. A roof has since been installed between the Orr building and the building to the left/south.

Then:

[​IMG]

Today:

[​IMG]

5. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

amazing how the building really hasn't changed all these years, want someone to peel off that siding to see if we can still see the outline of karl orr speed shop.

6. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I saw a really unique item today. It was Karl Orr Speed Equipment. They were 24 Stud Ford heads that were tapered much like a Navarro w/o the need to replace stock studs. I've never seen a set of these before and it seems that they're going to be made again as this was a new casting.

Is there any info on anything like this? I've seen ORD heads made by Mal Ord, but never a K.O.
    I hope that I'm not letting some cat out of the bag as this is just what I saw. I did not take a pic, because the owner/fabricator was not there to ask.

It's always nice to see different speed equipment coming out though, so as an enthusiast I'm stoked as my Grandfather (Eddie Balanger) who also did the roundy round CRA thing knew K.&V.O. when they lived in Culver City in the late 40's.

I guess out near Saugus Robert & Suzanne Williams used to visit them into the 80's.

CK. ;).

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. I would love to see these reproduced. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Like this?
    P5250333.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Orr had at least 3 Big (sprint) Cars in the 40s/early 50s. ko-1.JPG ko-2.JPG ko-3.JPG

Asphalt Demon and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. 2935ford

2935ford

If you look closely in the left window of that famous first shop picture you will see the car behind the 32 in this picture.
    karlorr.jpg

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The first pic above is at Bay Meadows Speedway 1951 with Bayliss Leverett. This pic is at Oakland Stadium with Bob Sweikert. The wire wheels and lack of paint makes me think it's around 1949 and probably it's first race. sw2.jpg

13. Yes, but I want to see inside of Typo41's window. ^^^ up there. ;)

14. Wonder if someone has printed a poster size reprint of the Orr Speed Shop photo?
    If so, let us know.

15. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Sorry for the tease, but I wanted to show that the car does exist and is in the same shape as the old black and white photos. The car is in a private collection, which is better than if it had been in the Peterson, and I only got to see it for a few minutes.

16. That is awesome. Lucky you. Return visit maybe ... and please.