Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T5 input shaft :

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Miff, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Miff

Miff

I am building a 1931 model a speedster. I am using the model a motor with an aa bell housing. I have the addapter plate for the t5trans to model a bellhousing. Also the bushing that adapts the model a through out bearing . It is my understanding the the t5 main shaft is one quarter of an inch is to long. What is the best way to shorten the shaft . I have only hand tools and am I correct on the amount to shorten the input shaft. Miff

2. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Measure twice/cut once!

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

There are many T5 input shafts with different lengths and other characteristics. Nobody can really help you unless you identify what you have. I'd like to think that the adapter plate would have taken care of the length issue, but again, that all depends on which T5 you have.

I suggest you take some serious measurements before you start cutting anything.

5. Miff

Miff

It is out of a s10 pickup. Early 90s with a ford bolt pattern. How would I take the measurements ? I have the chev clutch plate to match up the input shaft.

6. Face of trans to end of shaft,then distance from adapter+bell to flywheel pilot hole depth..subtract and bing.

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  8. Inline

Inline
    from Ohio

How thick is the adapter plate? I actually started making these adapters and with my design which uses a 7/8" thick adapter plate, you have to cut about 5/8" off of the pilot bearing diameter. I am sure with what ever adapter you have, it is going to be fairly similar. Look at how short the stock pilot bearing diameter length is compared to the T5. The end of the clutch disc splines should be in the same location between the stock trans and the T5 relative to the flywheel. Also, you shouldn't have to cut the bearing retainer on the T5. I can get you measurements and pictures if you like.

The pilot bearing from speedway for a V8 flathead to T5 conversion works well. part#91629520. You also need to use a AA thowout bearing hub and not the stock Model A throwout hub since it is shorter. If you don't have the stock AA one, a throwout bearing hub from a '40 ford one works.

The '93-'96 s10 T5's with the ford pattern have the same length input shaft as the earlier '83-'92 S10 T5's but with different splines

I've cut these with a hacksaw, die grinder and lathe before. It doesn't have to be too precise.

9. Steve More

Steve More

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Do you have an adapter plate for an 8BA flathead to a S10 T5 ?

10. Miff

Miff

Yes I have an adapter plate. Since this post I have cut the end off . Still had to have a 1/8 additional adapter plate made to fit between the 1/2 adapter and the trans . Worked out well. I have been driving it for some time . Thank you all for your help . Haven't been on this site in a while . Miff