Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Backroads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Madmax814, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Madmax814

Madmax814

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436880800.935619.jpg
    This is why I like traveling the Backroads , you never know what's going to be setting out in a pasture or a yard ! But every now and then you get lucky and see an what looks like an old T model running wide open down the open road ! I past this classic on Hwy 67 in Arkansas between Pocahontas and Corning .

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

flux capacitor likes this.
  2. You can't drive one of those on back roads around here. No matter what out of the way back road you get on, there is always somebody doing 75 riding on your bumper while talking on the phone. Overpopulation has killed the leisurely drive in the country.

3. I two lane a lot up in North Central Missouri. you got to watch for farm machinery but it is always a good ride up there. You all need to plan a trip up here and we'll go two laneing. :D

Madmax814, volvobrynk and dana barlow like this.
  4. the two lanes here in my part of E.Texas are like Porknbeaner describes..not only tractors but just an OLD geezer in his old farm truck

volvobrynk likes this.

5. Still have some good back roads around here, the less traveled roads. I drive the coupe on such roads every chance I get. Just have to watch out for pot holes. LOL!

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

It may be shocking to some,but around Miami fla. there are still some twolanes that are fairly low car count ,lot on the outskrits as well,even though we have lots of outer dirtroads as well,I stay off those nowdays.

7. Like Don,there are so many tailgating,texting teens and adults doing 75 miles an hour in 35 MPH zones they will run up your tailpipe! HRP

8. Old geezer in farm trucks are cool, there is a straight stretch up by my country place that I usually let her sing for a couple of miles. Makes me fell like I am really flying. :D

Last year I was about a mile into it and this old geezer in a farm truck ( old chebby) flagged me down. I figured he may have a problem and when I got over to him (he met me half way just like farmers in Missouri always do) he shook my hand and said, "son it harvest time and I really like having coffee with you in the mornings" Enough said. ;)

Madmax814 and volvobrynk like this.
  9. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Everyday at work some of the retired "car buffs" drive their relics. Last week a late 70s build "t bucket" from West coast showed up wire wheels n all. I love it here in the Ozark foothills. It's amazing sometimes just how many of relics are still hiding in barns & rolling down our 2 lanes. Flux

Madmax814 likes this.
  10. 2935ford

2935ford

So, it's time to Hot Rod and swap out those old 40 mile an hour motors? :)

11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Still some backroads left around my part of GA, you just gotta drive out a little further to find them, and every year it seems that roads where you once could "blow the soot out" are getting scarcer since somebody's bought some acreage and built another McMansion.
    Do still have one stretch less than a mile from my shop where I can give er hell as it is an undeveloped stretch in a declining area where no one wants to build. But the old road has gotten so full of dips, humps, and ragged edges that I'll only do it in 3rd! BGII is just too fast for that road in 4th!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Madmax814

Madmax814

I know what you mean, I respect the "keeping it original " but if I had that little jewel I'd have to just get rid of it , because I fear I would succumb to the temptation of finding a flatty V8 or a Y block and stuffing in it ! ;)

13. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Case in point , extracted from a barn north of Hardy area last Saturday afternoon. It's 95 years old & it's in my blood to modify stuff.......:rolleyes: image.jpg
    They're still out there....... Flux.

gas & guns and Thaplumbr like this.
  14. TexasDart

TexasDart

I have drove that 2 lane Hwy 67 more times that I can count. Watch out for those crop dusters. :)

15. LOL I got a 55 mile per hour truck now that if no one buys it will get turned into a pavement eater in the near future. great around town and bad weather truck as it sets, but I have to go someplace some times. :D

16. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

There is still plenty of two lane roads to cruise down in dairy country. You just have to watch out for the rare cow trying to make a break for it.

17. LOL last year we had a flood up north ( 10" fell between 11:00 PM and 4:00 AM) I was on my way back up to the place late in the afternoon. The weather had the deer all screwed up and I almost killed Bambi and his mom. They were crossing the road way to early. :eek: :D

18. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

That's what they call multitasking in the country. Driving home and filling the freezer at the same time.

19. Well I was cutting a fat Hawg in the ass if you catch my drift. They don't have much of a bumper. LOL :D

20. you could cut a "fat hog" here as we have many wild pigs(besides the deer).arount here in these piney woods

21. If you take two steps to the east you could be Cajun. :D Pretty country down there.

22. Thanks Beaner....very pretty and damn peaceful too...Cajuns usually stay over in La where they have tons of craw-dads..

23. Well you just can't beat mud bugs and boiled taters. :D

24. Hahahahaha...to each his own, I dont care for them,,just give me a good old T-Bone...taters are great any way you fix em

25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Wish I had about 5# of mud bugs and a six pac of good ol' Pearl right now! Hell, I'd settle for Jax!

26. Madmax814

Madmax814

That's a good find , that old girl made it through the Great Depression and WWll with being made into a bean can !! I'd have a tear in my eye getting near her with my cut off wheel equipped dewalt :,( ! Yeah they are definitely still out there !

27. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

My thoughts exactly, I'll whack up another one. Just the thought of it existing before road ways, titles, auto related taxes, its a cool piece of history & lucky to be out of the barn. But what I really, really, really like are tall unchopped "T" 2 doors. Back to the topic though, 2 lane roads are where some treasures and backyard finds still can be found. Flux

28. I knew a Cajon family that lived in Beaumont of all places way back when. They always had a spread of things that I don't think most people eat. That woman could sure make boudin though, family recipe.

Speaking of back roads East Texas or West Louisianna or SE Arkansas is the place to find roads like cow trails and good people at the end of 'em. its been a few years but I never traveled in that part of the world that I didn't meet good old country folk. And sites that just take your breath away. if you don't come see me for two lane and back road cruising you should consider that part of the country. ;)

29. Zandoz

Zandoz

Back when I was single and living in northern Ohio, I stuck to the 2 and sometimes 1 laners almost exclusively. One of my favorite things to do was to to take roads I'd never driven, just to see what there was to see.

Since married, my wife almost always gets impatient with non interstate/expressway travel,. But every once in a while, when there is no time constraints, I'll take a road less traveled.

Once I get my little bobtail T going, I'm looking forward to taking my dalmation along on Kentucky back road expeditions.

30. When I take a trip I usually try to stay on the 2 lanes unless someone is with me that thinks you need to go from point A to point B as quickly and directly as possible. Interstates give me anxiety. Its about the trip and not the destination now that I have time.