Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Problems at Goodguys Columbus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Capn Al, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Capn Al

Capn Al

Saturday at Goodguys was about as frustrating as could be. Long lines and long times just to get in and park, then more looooong lines to get a couple of tickets, then as others have pointed out, not as much to see and no information as to where the pro's picks were. (luckily, a couple guys who sat at the same picnic table for lunch told us). It's the one show I really looked forward to all year, and have only missed one in about 15 years. We were disappointed and left earlier than usual. The route they forced us to leave by took us right through the ghetto, (Columbus must have wanted to put their town's best foot forward, huh?) and another 35-40 minutes to get to the interstate. I don't think I'll be back if that's the way things are going.
    Thinking of going to the Syracuse Nats this coming weekend. I'll post a new thread for that.

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I Live just outside of Columbus, and I haven't gone to GG in years.
    The Arthritis Foundation has a large show in town the same weekend. Just about anyone who lives long enough will deal with arthritis at some point, so I feel it supports a good cause! It's a really nice show drawing about 2000 cars on Friday and Saturday.
    Just my feelings about that weekend.
    KK

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

The Syracuse Nationals has easy in and easy out (relatively speaking). You won't be sorry you checked
    out the Syracuse Nationals.

4. c57heaven

c57heaven

We too wondered where the pros picks were...
    Wondering if they moved it inside because of the rain or because space was an issue outside.
    Some years you bake in the sun and begin to cut short your pros picks viewing time to seek shade or ac.
    None the less; it was much nicer inside the building with the air conditioning and a place to sit and look at the cars while you relaxed. Didn't see many of the big names as in years past. that ghetto tour got me one year too. I feel your pain.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Long lines into a Goodguys event has always been a problem as they only let one car at a time enter the venue. I guess they are afraid someone will beat them out of $5 as they have to check everyones entry badge.

At the NSRA Nats theres 5-6 cars entering at once and multiple exit lanes.

6. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

We went on Friday, and although it looked like it would rain at any minute, it actually didn't until about 3pm.
    The top "builders cars" were right where you walked in (friday) until about noon, then they moved them to a building (sorry don't know its' name). We just happened to see them in a parade going thru the crowds, and by sheer dumb luck, to find them in the building at about 3:30 when everyone was scrambling for cover from the rain. "everyone" got kicked out of the building about 4:45, as I guess they were going to judge the cars or that it was close to the 5pm closing time....

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sounds like whoever the GG rents the property from needs to get their act together as far as general parking. was there a separate entrance for cars in show? oh ya, nobody took any pics to post?

8. Roadsir

Roadsir

I don't have a horse in this race. I've never been to the Columbus GG event, and didn't make it to Des Moines this year, but I heard nothing but good feedback from anyone I talked to about Des Moines. Record attendance, great venue etc etc.
    Does GG change up staff from local to local? or do they have a tough time dealing with certain local event promotors, cops, local clubs,dealing with traffic flow etc etc.???

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  9. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

At 7 am on Saturday morning I drove right in without stopping except to give my ticket stubs to the attendant.
    Had plenty of parking to choose from.
    It doesn`t pay to sleep in...

10. If you want to avoid long lines you gotta get up with the power parkers! :D HRP

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

A buddy and I were talking about that this weekend and I came up with a new term for them. P.P.P. Power Parking Pricks.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

That's exactly what I did...7am & plenty of parking.I did see a friend who got there around 9-10am who couldn't find a parking spot & had to pay $6.00 to park in spectator parking.

13. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Was there all weekend. Drove right in friday and saturday. With the wife, so both days were about 9 am. Spectator lines to get in were jammed. I suspect Capn Al was in those lines. Friday, street rod and street machines were in north lot by spectator walk in entrance.Street Machines auto crossed noon to two pm, then into building for rest of weekend. Saturday Deuce Doings and other such were in north lot. Put the 32 there saturday morning, and couldn't get it out to park by my buddies until 5 pm, I hate driving thru walls of spectators. Lots of great cars to see. Catch up with old friends. 776 miles round trip, better than half of it in the rain. Ya gotta drive em.

14. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

My problem besides the exit from the park, is the COST to enter the show. G.G. are gougers $90. to become a member and entry to the show but that is not all another $50. for postage for the magazine to be sent to Canada. So in Total $140. "Welcome Canadians."

15. I think my grandma would say "early bird gets the worm"

deuce354 likes this.
  16. 2X, ^ " wormers" from my swap meet days.....

17. ...you'd think after all the shows GG has put on that by now they'd have it figured out; I haven't heard anything but good comments on Des Moines even tho I didn't make it this year.

18. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I got there Friday at around 9am no problem parking at all got there around 9am Saturday had a bit of a line no big deal, parking was a little tougher but I made it and had a good time. Have plenty of pics just to dumb to figure out how to post em up.

19. patina33

patina33

Was there all week end. Got there about 9:00 am both days. Had no problem finding a parking spot. If I wanted to get a real good parking spot, then I needed to get my butt there earlier. I had a great time with friends and cars. GG, keep up the good work!

20. 61falcon

61falcon

I was there Friday and Saturday and had no problems with getting in or out. Saturday I drove in at 9:30 am and although there were a lot of cars arriving we drove right in. We left about 3:00pm and drove right out. If you wait until 5 or 6:pm when the bulk of the cars are leaving there will be a lot of traffic. I know this event draws a lot of cars and spectators and traffic can get backed up. If you plan accordingly you can beat the traffic. We leave a bit early, beat the traffic and use the time to use the hotel pool and clean up before going to dinner and hitting the evening hot spots.

21. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Some people gotta bitch no matter what.
    I`m not a power parker. I left my Deuce smack in the middle of the empty pavement at the slide at 7 am and never went back to it until the end of the day.
    Most usually manufacture any issues either by timing or actions.
    I couldn`t think of a better way to spend my weekend seeing buddies, talking cars and strolling thru the masses.
    Some of the womenfolk weren`t bad either...I`m old, not dead!

22. A Boner

A Boner

The main problem, is the lack of pictures.

Patiently waiting....

flynbrian48 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

^^^^^I agree. Very few pics online.

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I just posted A BUNCH of pics under
    GOODGUY'S COLUMBUS PICTURES 7-10-15 have a lot more from Saturday just don't want to wear out my welcome!

25. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I got there Thursday morning and checked in.. Came out, sold my car and went home...

26. Or do like I do, sleep in and show up late! :)

27. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

It's a big show. That's what's so cool. Saturday has the most cars and spectators, so things get bogged down. It is what it is. There are lots of GG info booths, and the DJ made announcements all day. The immediate neighborhood isn't great. But lots of cool bars and restaurants on High Street. We've been every year, 18 now. We had a blast. It's a lot better as a participant than a spectator.

28. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I was there Fri & Sat, didn't have any problems, had a great time as always. Bought a few things at the swap meet and from the venders. Good time

29. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I think I would tell Good Guys and ask if there is something that can be done about the problems rather than bitching to people on a forum that has nothing to do with the event and can change nothing.

deuce354 likes this.
  30. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Now I remember why I drifted from the HAMB. Bitch, bitch, bitch.... I had a great time in Columbus. What a beautiful fairgrounds! And it was a real confirmation that Ohio indeed puts something in the water that makes some of the guys build super cool schitt. Great time with great friends and all new friends, hope to be back sometime.