Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Hot rod magazine forced subscription

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Jul 11, 2015.

1. birdman1

birdman1

any one else getting demands for payment from Hot rod magazine for subscription you never asked for??

2. Never heard of that...

3. GTS225

GTS225

That's an old trick. Send someone a bill, and there's plenty of folks that just pay, not realizing they never requested it. Don't respond.....and if they start sending you the mag, you are under no legal obligation to pay them anything. That's already been decided in the courts.

Roger

lothiandon1940 and Hot Rod Nut like this.
  4. midroad

midroad

Did you have a Rod and Custom subscription? They will try to sell you something else.

flux capacitor likes this.

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

A few years ago I had a Hot Rod subscription and when it ran out I still got it for like 3 years without ever receiving a bill. Even the freebee ones sucked!!

6. Don West

Don West

Ya get them all the time. it's just a ploy to try to get you to front them more money up front. if you pay it they will either start a sub for you of extend your current sub. just pitch it in the trash.

7. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Lately I've been getting offers from Rod & Custom for a subscription!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Don't worry about it,they are just trying every trick in the book to try a survive,I'm afraid hot rod magazines days are numbered. HRP

1927graham and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

What pisses me off is that when R&C folded they gave me Hot Rod mag. and I am locked in until 2017 and they still send me notices to re up. As far as I am concerned Hot Rod is a cross between Road & Track, Truck World, Muscle Car Magazine and other magazines that I don't read.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  10. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Same here,obviously lost R&C then got that crap. I flip threw it in about 15 secs and toss it in the recycler. What a waste.
    Why can't they send something good?
    R&C and Hotrod are 2 different types completely to me.

56don likes this.
  11. Those demands for payment are not from Hot Rod magazine. It's like when another publishing house tries to get you to re-up your subscription, they have nothing to do with the the actual company that you have the subscription with.

5window and Hnstray like this.
  12. They kept sending me a copy long after my subscription expired...nothing in them interesting anymore,so I took them to my local barber shop,put them in the rack for anyone to read while waiting on their turn..They finally stopped sending them..

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

14. I'm in the minority but I personally think HRM is a better rag than it was a few years ago. It can actually take a few hours now to read vs. the 15 min scan then recycle I used to do. Yes that pro mod crap is still well represented but they are doing some good tech and history articles. Just my .02

5window likes this.
  15. I had the same deal , they killed R&C and started sending that "hot rod" crap publication... kindly but firmly pitched a bitch and sent the "hot rod" back -return to sender- they sent me classic truck and a few others more to my liking to finish out my subscription , did what they could to make me happy , all we really want is R&C back lol

16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Why not contact them and request a prorated refund on the remainder of your paid subscription. After all, you bought a R&C subscription. I don't see why a consumer has to accept a substitute magazine for their subscription. It's a breach of contract on their part.

17. Muttley

Muttley

HAHA, me too. I got the "Warning, this is your final issue" card about 14 times.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  18. I had 3 years of R&C now I get street rodder it is more like a catalog.

5window likes this.
  19. dad-bud

dad-bud

The 'catalog' is all the advertisers who are the ones who actually pay for the magazines.
    The publishers will use any technique to get the mags sold or just distributed - the more copies they send out, the more they can charge for advertising per page.
    Street Rodder is very thick because so many advertisers want to be in it, meaning it will survive for much longer than R&C did..
    I had subscriptions to HRM, SR and R&C a couple of years ago - the subs cost next to nothing (3 yrs for about $50 for each) but R&C was about half as thick as the other two - 'course it was a better read, but it was always going to struggle because so many didn't want to advertise in it.
    Paper mags are doomed, like the dinosaur, because we all spend so much time getting our kick on the HAMB ............ I'll miss the old paper mags when they finally go but want to say "Thanks Ryan" for this great place.

20. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

They sent me "stinkin" motor trend! I put it in the trash at the post office when I check the mail ! Flux

21. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

Yeah........they sent me "Motor Trend" too. I think I thumbed through the first one.....now I don't even look.

22. unklgriz

unklgriz

I read on here that the "courts" decided that it was against the law to collect the money for subscriptions that you did not ask for. As that may be true, the companies that have the subscriptions are usually not the magazines themselves, and they will turn you unpaid bill over to collections. I have been dealing with a brother in law from Pocatello Idaho for the last year that has sent us more types of magazines than you could care to ask for. (yea, he's a dirtbag). Anyway, your best actions for this that I have found is to call the companies and put a data block on your name and address. This will (supposedly) stop any of the magazines from that company from coming to you. Also ask them for a copy of the original subscription card, they may tell you that you need a police report to get that or just their letterhead stating that they need the card. Please guys, don't let these jerks keep doing this, it cost us all in the end.

Larry

23. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

When they sent me Motor Trend after R&C folded I called and they were happy to extend my subscription or swap out to any other magazine they published. :)

24. I personally like HRM and there's something in there for everyone...

25. flathead4d

flathead4d

The best car magazine is Auto Restorer. No ads no bull shit. Just real car stuff.

26. I haven't read a car magazine in 10 years, except in various waiting rooms, then Carp and Drivel is usually the only choice. (and I really don't give a shit about BMWs new 19 class piece of crap)

27. 5window

5window

I agree.

28. 5window

5window

How hard is it to throw it into the recycle bin?

If you get it but didn't order it-it's yours free
    If you get one of their publications, they certainly will see if you'd like another-this is only good business
    If one magazine folds, they'd rather send you another that send you a refund (Duh)
    People have different tastes that's why there are different magazines. Your likes may not be the majority (if they were, R and C would still be published, right?) I like HR and CC, I get StreetRodder, but there's not much on real hot rods in there-but it's relatively inexpensive and I like cars-even those BMW's-got to like the tech advances. But, that's me. Your opinion is equally as valid.

i.rant likes this.
  29. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

When my R&C went dead, they sent me Street Rodder. It's not bad, but not the same. I doubt that I'll renew it when it comes due. I haven't got any of those bogus bills, but I have had some pretty enticing offers on new subscription prices. Unfortunately for the them the magazine just doesn't appeal to me. Might be looking for a new gig one of these days.

30. another thing that pisses me off about mag subscriptions....I'm good thru 2017 with HRM...yet I get almost weekly phone calls wanting me to re-up...Damn !! at 73 ,I don't even buy green bananas....!!!

pat59 likes this.