Register now to get rid of these ads!

F100 Front Clip Swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by King Karl, Feb 5, 2009.

1. You feel better now?

Don't drink and HAMB

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Fuck yeah!!!! Preach it John!!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Well, thanks Johnb11, that was interesting. I'm not sure I full understood what it was all about, but it was interesting.
    Times have changed since he mid 80s, some things that were the best thing in the world then are now obsolete. There are better options out there now. Gene

4. mattrod68

mattrod68

When did they invent the paragraph?

Must have been after the Volare, and Jag.

Just poking fun there is some truth in there. You must choose a suspension that is designed for the weight of your vehicle. Nothing wrong with a mustang 2 "style" suspension that has been upgraded for heavier duty.

All the aftermarket companies aren't crooks, just most of them!

Matt

5. miketlane

miketlane
    from shelton wa

oh wow Johns rant was out there. My 05 Crown Vic swap into a 54 F100 worked just fine. not to wide at all and i didn't even need to cut up the frame. Sure the Mustang2/pinto kits are originally a light car suspension but they are beefed up for trucks and AND the strut rods are optional. yes they should be there. If they really were a rolling death trap one would think some class action law suites would have been filed by now.

Big changes since the 80s aside form improved modern suspension systems. finding a volare, mustang2, pinto,Chevelle or Jag is like finding dinosaur bones these days. On top of that IF you do find one that has not been crushed it is so rotted out you would be lucky to have any usable steel left. If it was even some what usable it would need stripped blasted and completely overhauled.

In the 80's you used what you could and what was readily available in wreaking yards and made it work just as we do now including mail order parts that were not an option then and are not an option in wrecking yards now. most auto wrecking yards i have been to say if a car is there more the a couple moths it gets recycled so the term junk yard doesn't fit anymore.

With the hundreds of companies making a very good living selling thousands of Mustang 2 kits you may just was to stay home where you are safe.

I researched all the options of an IFS swap in to a 53-56 F100 of every kind and I was going to go mustang 2 simply because nothing else was available until i found one tried on a 03 crown vic swap and i could not be happier! I personally don't think there is a better choice of ready available donor cars for today's generation. id even be willing to bet the CV cross-member will be a reproduction like the mustang 2 later down the road when all the CV's are crushed and gone.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think someone is off his meds.

Pretty sure that some of folks on this board have aftermarket suspension under control.

7. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I just got this and it's a big heavy beast. It's got an inline 6 and a four speed. I'd like to put a V8 back in it next summer. I'm thinking crown vic front end. This thread is a couple years old. Anything new or any more input?

Attached Files:

8. efd187

efd187

hello,

I'm looking for more information on the crown vic front end swap. If you can help please reply. I have a 1961 ford f100 unibody, I would like to swap the front end of a 2003 to 2007 crown vic. any suggestions would be helpful

9. aircoup

aircoup

ive done many volare swaps and a couple gibbon ones , even a twin i beam ,, im going to do a crown vic next on my 62 uni, just my 2 cents worth , it all boils down to affordability and skills in the end ,

10. luckystiff

luckystiff

the crown vic is 6" wider than the stock track width of your unibody. that can be dealt with via high positive offset wheels like the ones used on the crown vic or the mustang 5 spoke style. the wheels also have to be at least 16" unless you want to play "how much can a clearance my calipers with a grinder and get away with it". it is also NOT a "bolt-in" as so many try to push it to be. there is fab work to do so that the crossmember can then be bolted in but you don't just pop it up there and it's done. if you want LOW you also need to notch the frame for the crossmember to sit higher in the frame.

the jag xj like i did in my 62 uni is the correct 59.5" track width for the f100. welding it in is actually less work than all the fab work to get the crown vic to bolt in status. both straight to the frame rail give you around 4-5" of suspension drop. if you want more than that you notch accordingly.

my buddy and i do jag and cv swaps(and camaro and others to) for a reasonable price. he likes cv i like jag....ken....

11. aircoup

aircoup

good to know luckystiff thanks

12. Here's my 65 shop truck with a CV front end, I sectioned the front end in mine by 2 inches, makes a big difference, I have 16's. I think it looks good, the rims and tires fit nice, I'll notch the frame on my 64 when I do it to get it a couple of inches lower. It works really nice, I just put 4000 miles on it in the past three weeks.

13. Here's the picture.

Attached Files:

14. LR Wiliingham

LR Wiliingham

I reading you have done a few swaps with gibbons and I was wondering it you ever did a cordoba with a 56 f100, if so did you ever have a problem with adjusting the torsion bars where the finger at the end of the adjusting bolt pushed up against the frame rail? I would sincerely appreciate any info on this….LR

smoke_eater likes this.
  15. Larry T

Larry T

In stock for your 56 from your local HAMBer - Elpolacko!

industrial chassis.jpg

16. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Do U know how old this thread IS?

17. LR Wiliingham

LR Wiliingham

No I don't, but does that matter?

18. 117harv

117harv

5. As mentioned throughout these guidelines, the H.A.M.B. focuses on TRADITIONAL hot rods and customs. Posts pertaining to traditionally inspired, but not quite period perfect belong on the main forum found here. Please note that we don't focus on things such as modern fuel injected motors, big-inch wheels, frame clips, after market independent suspensions, etc... at all on the H.A.M.B.. As such, posts that stray away from the "traditional inspired" will be deleted.

Taken from the rules ^^^

19. desertdroog

desertdroog

I am pretty sure El Polacko's work is sanctioned by Ryan, unless otherwise specified.

Thanks for helping non-Alliance members to understand the HAMB rules, nonetheless.

20. curt vesely

curt vesely

21. curt vesely

curt vesely

I have a Gibbons cross member and most of the Cordoba suspension in my shed, about $800 invested. If anybody wants it for free give me a call at 4802012509. I'm in Mesa Az. and I won't ship...