Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HAMBERS! WHO OUT THERE IS REQUIRED TO HAVE YOUR HOTROD , STATE INSPECTED?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mad mikey, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Taking my coupe for its state inspection tomorrow. It is reg. in PA. as a street rod, I have the street rod plate. Boy are they ugly! Who else has to do this and what state? Just wondering. I know people in my state that just run without the sticker and take there chances.

2. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

I live in Pa too! Hate to get mine inspected, but it's better than a ticket and insurance increases.

5window likes this.
  3. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

We no longer have a state inspection in Nebraska, but when we did all cars liscenced and driven on the streets had to have the car inspected

4. prpmmp

prpmmp

Me Too!! I get it inspected! 32 Coupe(fake) and 37 chevy truck. Pete

5. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Arkansas, No inspections. Flux

6. 2935ford

2935ford

Not USA but here in NB, Canada....yearly inspection mandatory.

7. Yea, I hear you Flux. The weird thing is in PA. with inspection, there is some big time junk rolling down the roads!:eek:

8. In down-state NY they do safety only and issue a sticker. The shop I use is 100% legit and the guy is a stickler, which I have no problem with. Some cars I see around... looks like the inspector had his eyes closed when they were inspected.

9. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I just shortened my reply to read no inspections. But that is exactly what I say, I see this junk daily & it's ridiculous. Rotors wore plum through to cooling ribs , ball joint & tie rods wobbiling & cords in tires...... Whew & we & family are out their on same roads as this stuff. Revenue Part a hassle but safer vehicles should be their main concern. :confused: Flux

10. mike bowling

mike bowling

Mass. inspection every year- once the vehicle is over 15 years, no emmisions ( which is what most of the "reject" stickers are for; "check engine" light-- 30 days to fix). Safety inspection is pretty basic, but if you fail that, you're not supposed to drive the car until it's fixed. I go to a garage run by gearheads, so the car goes in, gets a nod and a wink , and out the door $35 bucks later. My newest vehicle is my '95 F-150, so inspections aren't a big deal. I just hate giving money to the state!!

Attached Files:

11. Roadsir

Roadsir

Minnesota is street rod / hot rod friendly largely in part to the MSRA having a good lobbyist group. No inspections, street rod / collector / and pioneer plates with flat fee tax (not based on value), no annual tabs. Vehicle must comply to laws that were in place during the year of manufacture. I've never been bothered.
    The little I have heard about PA wants me to skirt the state at all costs.

Fortress and Murphy32 like this.
  12. Cymro

Cymro

UK, annual inspections, the MOT test not required on vehicles older than 1959, but testing is recommended by most enthusiasts simply to ensure that the vehicle is safe ( the standard is the same as when the vehicle was new) If your vehicle is not road worthy your insurance is invalidated, so it is cheap insurance to get a second opinion, there are garages( testing stations) that are old car friendly, and realise how few miles they travel in comparison to the average daily driver.

prefect20 likes this.
  13. frosty-49

frosty-49

Md. has no inspections on historic vehicles, but all it has to be is over 20 yrs old. There is some junk running around here with historic plates that should pulled over and ticketed and junked. Wish MSP would clamp down on this. Should be at least 25 years.

oldcars.acadia likes this.
  14. No inspections in Cali for cars pre 1976...

15. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Keep this post away from my governor. In CT we have an emissions test every two years which amounts to a computer read of the OBD. No emissions test for cars pre 67 but they pay a "clean air fee" of the same $20. No safety inspections - even on registering a car over 10 years old. Go and figure. In the old days it was difficult to register older cars. I am wondering if states with safety checks/inspections annually have older and better kept cars on the road which may be a benefit beyond the obvious safety factor by having owners keep up their vehicles. Any thoughts?

16. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

NC emissions tests 96 and newer, plus safety inspection.

Older than 96 and up thru 34 yrs old gets safety inspection only.

35 yrs and older no inspection required.

Safety inspection here is a joke. All sorts of "safety inspected" trash on the roads with headlights duct taped in place, running on 2 slick tires and 2 temporary spares. The sort of junk that you look at and know it ain't had a brake job since it left the factory in 1990.

Some of the newer additions to the safety inspection station roster here in NC are raghead ripoff artists who manage to find something wrong with everything that comes thru the door and then charge some outlandish price for the supposed repairs. You could pull a car off the assembly line and truck it to one of these clowns and the thieving shitbags will still claim they've found something to make it fail inspection.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  17. 38mag

38mag

I have 3 with a PA street rod plate, I got them inspected today. I've seen a lot of PA street rods recently running around with antique plates, what's the deal?

18. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

NY state need Safety inspection as stated...not hard to make it safe for that inspection

19. 6-71

6-71

I think that a lot of people have taken advantage of the fact that Penndot no longer requires pictures to be submitted with the antique plate application. I have 2 street rods,1939 Chevy that I have driven for 42 years and my T-bucket that I finished last year.They are both registered as street rods,and inspected annually.I prefer to obey the law,and enjoy driving my rods without constantly"looking over my shoulder". One more point,if you are involved in an accident,your insurance company may not like your illegaly registered vehicle.

20. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

I have to inspect mine cause i dont run antique plates. This is in texas. I could avoid it an run an antique plate or register it as an antique and get around it but since they only check for 1958 items it dont matter

21. In Texas,you cannot buy licence tags without the safty Inspection,,and its all computer generated now..
    I no longer have to show my proof of Ins as its also in the computer system as is the safety Inspections

22. MI- no inspections!

23. Kentucky once had safety inspections and then emissions inspections and finally did away those so we don't do anything now.

24. Dick Lobach

Dick Lobach
    from Emmaus Pa

I live in PA. and would rather have them find something that's wrong and fix it now, and avoid a big bill later when something brakes and hurts somebody or me. If it's safe, nothing to worry about. Just my way of thinking.

oldcars.acadia and racingonerobb like this.
  25. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

I have a 1936 Texas tag on my car which does not require a safety inspection sticker:):):):):):)

Attached Files:

26. stimpy

stimpy

people will pay a 20 bribe i
    funny how people will pay a bribe vs fixing a balljoint ,tierod end or tire

and if you built it you should check it every few trips besides the oil ,if you stay on top of it you have no worries about passing .
    when I drove truck we are required to inspect it before leaving , most drivers didn't . its amazing how much damage can add up if a part is run broken or worn .my rig was hardly down for repairs as it was checked daily sometimes several times because of loading ( Fuels ) , some guys were in for 3-4 days because of several parts were damaged because they didn't check , and lord help you if you got caught on the road at a roadside inspection and got shut down .. 3 days off work no pay . 2nd time your gone ...

Illinois no inspections on personal vehicles under 8001 GVWC ( 3/4 ton pick up trucks ( B plates RVs and up) and up have to have a biannual inspection , commercial or not ( 625 IlCS 5/13-111 for those who want to say I'm wrong ) ) ,
    but I inspect my own cars every oil change DD O/T s and others . my neighbors like it when I do it for them as I keep records on how often I replace parts for them . one of the neighbor kids was driving his car with a serverly worn out tie rod ( non greaseable OEM ) and said nothing to his Dad about it till dad drove the car and brought it over to me . kid was worried he loose his car for the day while I fixed it , ( VS his life if it pulled out ) his dad pulled the keys for 1 month .

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is no SMOG inspection pre 1976.

There are no safety inspections, period.

California sure does suck.;)

Special Ed likes this.
  28. stimpy

stimpy

ours starts at MY 1996 to current and is biannual .

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have winter.

30. stimpy

stimpy

you have mudslides and earthquakes , take the pick ... :p I can hide in my garage all winter , and we still do drive in the snow :eek: the white stuff doesn't bother me or the cold .. we also have machines to play with on the snow too !