Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What are YOU doing to get ready for the 2015 Meltdown Drags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Sep 30, 2014.

1. 55chieftain

55chieftain

To bad there isn't a live feed set up for this event, that would be great for the ones that can't make it.

powrshftr and 55belairx2 like this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I bet if you get here someone will find a place for you to stay and some wheels to move you around.

9sectruck likes this.
  3. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

We have a spare bunk in our camper if you want it. There might be some snoring, but it will be air conditioned and free.

55belairx2, 9sectruck and beebee78 like this.
  4. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Is it me or did Ric basically go radio silent when the Hairy Hauler called him out?

5. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Ric and Pond are in hiding....sort of like the witness protection plan.lol

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

He must be busy making sure his alligator mouth did not overload his hummingbird ass.

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ric has had plenty to keep him busy lately,but I would just like to take this opportunity to sing his praises again,as I dropped off those killer pistons he built for me at the balancing outfit today.
    The guy was blown away by the quality and light weight,and didn't hesitate to mention that they were the nicest pistons he had ever worked with for a street/strip motor.:)

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436209655.754722.jpg

Thanks again Ric!I know you've been swamped lately,but you are a ninja,and I'm sure you have all well in hand.
    That was a very cool photo of Samuel and Solomon on fb by the way.You must be a very proud Dad. :)

Scott

55belairx2 likes this.
  8. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thanks Kip, thats really good of you to offer.
    Let me see what I can come up with.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    30dodgeboy and II FUNNY like this.
  9. powrshftr

powrshftr

I'll second that.We're getting a trailer for the weekend,you can stay with us if things get a little too crazy at Kips hacienda...:)

And if you need transportation,I'm sure there are a couple hundred guys who would be more than happy to throw you the keys......Just remember:We drive on the RIGHT side of the road,NOT the left...!;)

Scott

10. Kip & Jeff, your smack rhyming is coming along swimmingly!

30dodgeboy, powrshftr and saltflats like this.
  11. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Wow, i thought i was the only one going into a total panic trying to get my car done! Still waiting on the engine builder to get mine on the dyno, and the guy to finish my transmission. Plus, in my wisdom i decided that my trailer floor needed replaced. Looks like some 20 hour days coming up!

30dodgeboy and saltflats like this.
  12. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

image.jpg Joe hired a new driver to wheel All Hacked Up!!! Light weight edition !!! Lol

13. jailbird

jailbird

I discovered a bad cam lobe #1 intake, flat tappet my machinist ask me what kind of oil I was using Valvoline
    he told me newer oil eats flat tappet cams
    so its all apart again i will have to go cam shopping and work on it wish I could find a 550 Isky version
    its for a 327 4 speed 57 chevy

14. squirrel

squirrel

I switched to a hydraulic roller 10 year ago...more reliable.

15. jailbird

jailbird

I have a Sig Erson custom grind 302 645 solid roller in my blower motor its awesome
    my little 327 is from high school days it use to run well with just a comp 305 H and a Holley

16. Dang Salty! That was.., well, SALTY! Well I guess its about time to come clean. The Hairy Pauler, and Oinkie Doinker can rest easy as well as some more if you suckas, as Yesterdays Child will regrettably NOT be making the trip to the Meltdowns this year. However, it will be making a trip east with me and my family in the next coming months to our new home. I can't say anymore about it for now, as we are finally able to adopt our little girl after ten long years of waiting. Its best for us & her to remain stealth for awhile, but it will make it much, much easier to show up for the Meltdowns next year full of piss & vinegar, as well as attending lots of SEG races with Quain and the boys. I know there will be plenty of verbal beatings for our no show, but that's ok, bring it on. On a good note, you won't have to endure me needling you all about California's bitchen weather all winter long, as I'll be dealing with my own bit of white stuff. Marc & I were hoping to be able to attend at least as spectators & help out the Meltdown crew, or our new racing buddies in one way or another, but with our move still being sorted out, the Meltdown door is quickly closing. Sorry for going silent running for awhile, but I'm ass over tea kettle with moving stuff, and honestly depressed we can't make it this year. It ain't much fun throwing smack, when you won't be able to show up & back it up. All you honkies be safe, have fun, try not to abuse each other too much, and I'll read about you in the funny pages. Sincerely Mr. Humming Bird Ass. XOXO.

17. TH
    Thanks Scott, those pistons, & those boys, and you bunch of nut jobs, are part of what makes my life fun. I GET to do this.

Tickety Boo and powrshftr like this.
  18. 9sectruck

9sectruck

You guys are the best, thanks for the offer. Lets hope Mr. Branson & Co cut their profit margins at the last minute................and FYI the left is the right side you guys drive on the wrong side...lol :rolleyes:

55belairx2, saltflats and powrshftr like this.
  19. powrshftr

powrshftr

So to REALLY open a can of worms here......In my Holley tunnel ram carbs,should I just plug the power valves and change the jetting accordingly,or can I leave the stock 8.5 power valves in (they are on the primary side only),and go nuts?

I'm thinking I will pull these things apart and go close to what the stock jetting was for a baseline.....I may be pestering some of you for some assistance at the track,since we will probably still be putting this thing together as we roll it off the trailer....lol

This is NOT going how I planned it,and I definitely don't wanna be that guy who if fixing his broke-ass shit all the time,messing up the program....

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

beebee78, 30dodgeboy and II FUNNY like this.
  20. bigslim55

bigslim55

Scott which carbs are you running? Was it 660 center squirters? I'd ask Norb, he's helped me quite a bit... Think you need to start with getting a manifold vacuum reading first, to see if power valves are too big... The 55' seems to be running well, fingers crossed! But Norb suggested plugging power valves & going at least 5 sizes bigger on jets on my car for starters. I haven't tried it yet, cars seems to run good at moment, but I bought block offs if you need them?!? I've got 450's with mech secondary's, & jets are 58's ... On Weiand tunnel ram... Jimbo

Tickety Boo and 30dodgeboy like this.
  21. Here's a sneak preview of what has been keeping me from getting my beauty sleep for the last month... just set it in between the rails late last night...
    MVC-062S.JPG

22. The power valves just lend a little bit of drivability/smoother transition from idle or part throttle/cruise to wide open/power circuit. I'm thinking your new combo will idle at around 10-11 inches, so 8.5 power valves would be pretty good. However, when your at cruise it'll probably pull 15-17 inches, in which case you'd need at least a 12.5, and I think that's the biggest vacuum rating power valve around. If the power valve is much more than 1-2 below what the engine pulls, you could have a little hesitation during light throttle movement from light foot to heavier foot, and would have to band aid it with a little more pump shot on the front side. Personally, in a zesty street drag car I prefer no power valves (remove one variable that can break, and who knows how closely they are actually rated/made), and jet up about 4 to 6 sizes (single 4 applications) max. I would plug them and run the jetting "square". What ever is in the rear (76's from Holley, i believe) for original jetting, run it the same in the front bowl & tune from there.

23. 55chieftain

55chieftain

VR1 or conventional? VR1 has the zinc in it to help, I run it in mine and no problems with the cam/lifters. Also if still going with flat tappet get the lifters with the oil hole on the bottom .

24. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Was looking forward to see the car run again. There is always next year. Sounds like you got a lot on your plate, and in a good way. Family first. Hope everything goes smoothly.

55belairx2 and powrshftr like this.
  25. 318 Poly!? Tried to talk Dog Patch into one, but he wouldn't listen to sound reasoning.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  26. Thanks Zettle, its gonna suck out loud not being there.

27. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Tough call Ric, looks like I won't be the only grumpy old man come the 17th.
    Sounds like you're doing the right thing though, good luck with your plans for the future and I'll see you there next year then :)

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Take care of life first Ric
    We will sill be here shit talking and bragging about how my brother can beat up your brother and all the school yard smack talk like always.

55belairx2, 30dodgeboy and powrshftr like this.
  29. You guys are all Aces! I've been dreading this "confession" for weeks, hence the silence, so thanks for letting me off easy. On the upside maybe we'll finally get our maniacal mouse motor finished for next year (this sucks talking about next year, when the Meltdown is still 10 days away), and go deep in the 9 second zone.

30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hay guys and gals get your pistons ordered from Ric and then next year we can have a Panneton Piston Shot next year.

Tickety Boo likes this.