Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wood kits for Cabs / Bodies---> Templates available?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tuck, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I started to make all of the wood pieces for my pickup cab- its pretty fun. These are pics of the bed sills- I have the floor pieces for the cab made as well all from existing pieces I borrowed and used as templates.

I was wondering if they sell or you can download the templates for the TOP wood kit- like the wood bows etc? Anyone have these in a CAD file by chance?

I want to make all of the pieces- I really enjoy making that stuff. I've learned more about wood in the last year than I have in my entire life time- :) I'm hooked.

Attached Files:

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. Tuck, what species of wood did you use?
    I had to replace the wood in my Autocar truck cab, having more tools for, and experience with steel I used small 14 ga. tubing. Cut through 3 sides, pull the kerf together, weld up the cuts, repeat as necessary. Probably more work initially but easier to make changes as the project progressed.

4. wood kits are available for a lot of different makes and models , depends on what you have , a great resource if you can hunt them up is "skinned knuckles" red cover and another publication called "motor news?" has/ had a yellow border on the cover, other wise if the sheet metal is in good shape and straight you can set station lines and build a pretty accurate pattern right off the truck and plane carve and sand away to your hearts content. if you were closer I'd teach ya how :),for books or text, look into shaping parts for small wooden boats its pretty much the same process . good luck and keep postin those pictures of progress , looks like your doing a beautiful job so far (from a 25+ year veteran of the wooden car and boat resto world.)

5. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Thanks guys-
    I'm going to keep searching- it would be cool if there were drawings in cad or something then I could print out templates.

Steve- I used black walnut for all the cab floor stuff and the bed sills- because I had a big slab of it and it was the right thickness- plus it'll look beautiful when I finish it.

I was thinking about how most of us pull out the wood and replace with steel- normally what I would do... but lately I've been wanting to make more and more replacement pieces out of wood.

Some of those kits for premade stuff are pretty cheap- I think its 300 bucks for the roof kit and if I could spend that money somewhere else I'd just make those bows and header etc-

Tuck

6. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Check with Steve Becker at Bert's Model A in Denver (closed Monday's) 800/321-1931

7. 343w

343w

How about patterns for the wood in a 32 Tudor sedan, mine is mostly missing.

8. This was what I was confronted with, appeared to be white oak. Heavier than hell, with a lot of steel reenforcing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. met a neighbor last night who's resurrecting old T's and is currently rebuilding wood in one.
    I thought surely there would be something to find in cad or pdf printable templates, but no luck so far.
    nothing ever turn up for you, Tuck?
    JML

10. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I ended up using an existing wood kit to use as patterns and copied them in black wallnut to match the supports for the bed @vintage56

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Pictures or it never happened

Did you at least make templates so you can cut them fresh? For other people, and maybe swap patterns with other people so you can help people with more "exotic" needs?
    Trucks, Chevys, autocar or just do simple Tudor or fordor kit, in hardwood.

Runnin shine likes this.
  12. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Wood kits available for Fords and Chevys Look in Hemmings Motor News under suppliers.

13. i made all the replacement wood for my chevy. build thread here with details;
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/33-chevy-3w-time-for-a-cool-change.863287/
    i used the old wood for patterns and thin cardboard [think cereal box] for templates.
    i used ash, [a good piece is hard to find;)], and some chunks of black walnut and cherry i had.

i had a friend, cabinet maker, build a 37 studebaker custom woody body. he built it first real crude with pine, glued up pieces, tape, screws and patches, then replicated the pieces, with good wood.