Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects frame match for a 57 ford ranch wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgregory, Jul 4, 2015.

1. sgregory

sgregory

Hey guys.

New to the forum here. I was hoping that someone knew of a frame for my 57 ford ranch wagon. Long story short, I got my original frame narrowed at the rear for my tires and put a 83? grand marquis clip to get power steering and disc brakes. Sadly the job was butchered and not sure whether to try to rebuild or look for a donor. Any help would be appreciated. If I am in the wrong section, mods please send me to where I belong lol

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I seen info on this subject posted some time ago. What I can't remember for certain is whether the wagon chassis' have any significant shape differences from sedans. I tend to think they not.

In any case, I believe the wagons use the shorter wheelbase that Ford used in '57 & '58 on the Custom 300 and Custom.

Ray

3. sgregory

sgregory

Thanks Ray, I had heard that the fairlane used the same frame but have been scouring here for the last few hours for confirmation.

4. Where are you at?

5. Does Hollenders interchange manual (sp?) include frames?

Charlie Stephens

6. sgregory

sgregory

7. my Hollanders only showing a fit for 57-58 station wagon - sedan delivery and Ranchero....and 58 Edsel wagon....

8. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

9. Well I just happen to know a little more than some about 57 Fords. Your Ranch Wagon is built on the 300 frame but different from sedan in the rear half to accomadate spair tire well and gas tank. The Fairlane or 500 chassis is longer. 57 and 58 are the same and 59 is all by itself. Not sure why you would narrow the back frame section for tires. I have 10" wide rubber in a stock rear wheel house. How much more do ya need? I see some are changing the front to all kinds of stuff. I guess that's the new thing to do. Sounds like it didn't work out so well. I do a lot of chassis stuff so throw up some photos and maybe I can help ya out. If you want a direct bolt in frame it needs to be Wagon or Ranchero.
    The Wizzard

10. I have a 58 Ford wagon frame, no suspension, just leaning against a wall in a barn. That's why I asked where you were at. I'm not shipping, but if you are local Id make you some sort of deal.

11. sgregory

sgregory

Worth apeek thanks Charlie
    We have a 514 stroker that we need meat to keep on the street so we decided to tub it. I will gladly send some pics of the car asap and would love some imput.

12. sgregory

sgregory

I live in british Columbia so I am probably out of luck? Where are you located. Maybe a fresh start on the frame would be nice

13. sgregory

sgregory

Stop the presses, Monroe Washington is not that far!

14. Im getting ready to hit the hay, lets talk via Pm or phone tomorrow, maybe I can help you out.

15. sgregory

sgregory

sounds great. I pmed you with my number

Thanks
    Steve

16. sgregory

sgregory

17. Quote "
    We have a 514 stroker that we need meat to keep on the street so we decided to tub it. I will gladly send some pics of the car asap and would love some imput."

514 ci. That should be close to 700 H.P. You need someone that knows what they are doing to build you a Chassis, not Hack up both ends of a stock frame and make a mess. A stock frame has no X built in it, just 90 degree crossmembers. Your going to have constant issues with that layout.
    The Wizzard

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thanks for the info on Hollanders, Charlie Stephens.
    CG, sgregory, and Pist-n-Broke all seem to be in the same general area, hope you guys can make something work. A '57 Ranch Wagon with a 514 sounds like it could be a real cool ride to a hard core Ford guy like me. Maybe start a build thread?

19. sgregory

sgregory

I agree pist, but that is what you get when you put your trust in the wrong hands. Hoping that with the right help and a fresh frame from cg, we can make a better go this time.

20. sgregory

sgregory

OahuEli, I think we are fairly close so it would be awesome for any added input. I will start a build thread when I master the art of adding pics to the thread. Lol

21. Are you planing on rear leaf springs or 4 link stuff? How much actual tire do you plan to run?
    The Wizzard

22. I should have also asked if your planning to Street drive, Road Race or Drag race this thing once done.
    The Wizzard

23. "Thanks for the info on Hollanders, Charlie Stephens."

your welcome......

Alias Charlie Stephens

Hnstray likes this.
  24. Mmm, sounds suspiciously OT.

25. sgregory

sgregory

We have currently a 4 link system with air shocks and coils but they look very crowded. I will try to post some undercarriage pics but I dug up some pics of the car[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. sgregory

sgregory

I should have responded all in one post lol, the car will be be pretty much all street with the odd exception. 514, air gap intake, 800 edelbrock carb, msd ingnition, and a 150 shot of nos.

27. sgregory

sgregory

not sure what that means x38?

28. sgregory

sgregory

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Notice the rear seat of the wagon in the background

29. Well,,, I like what I see so far. I must say I don't see any sign of rear housing, springs, suspension or brakes at all. How do you plan to mount the rear end?
    O,T, means Off Topic. I don't see that yet. I'm no stranger to Horse Power or custom chassis work. Do a little search and you'll get a pretty good picture of some things I've done, not that that means much.
    The 57 will let you do a lot to accomodate horse power without going over the edge.
    Here is an 11.5 inch wide tire with 1inch clearance on both sides and no tubs or frame rails pinched. Rear Axle mod 008.jpg
    The Wizzard

30. sgregory

sgregory

wizard thanks for the pics, I will check out your projects tomorrow before work. I will also send some pics of some of my frame issues at the same time.