Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Pete Eastwood built 29' roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barillaro Speed Emporium, May 30, 2014.

1. Nice!
    Who's your plater?

2. Atlantic Coast Plating in Athens Tn. Very nice quality work at reasonable prices.

3. It's funny how small detail parts of a project just seem to really stick out compared to others. These Batwings that Pete made at Blair Speed shop are my favorite parts of this entire car.

Attached Files:

Kan Kustom likes this.
  4. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I am glad you are keeping all of Pete's craftsmanship on the car. He is a master of making parts from parts that are eye appealing and cause you to think — why didn't I think of that!

Kan Kustom likes this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You are spot on Lynn--
    Hand hewn parts like these have so much soul to them, not to mention the provenance that they lend to the car.

6. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! This is so cool and so quaint it is almost unreal.Thanks for all the great pics and your desire to rebuilt an important hot rod in the style you are doing it in. Hope to see you and the car some day as we don't live that far apart............

7. Not much going on right now other than sanding primer. Finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! Hope to be spraying paint the next couple weekends.

Attached Files:

Tmmason10 likes this.
  8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

This 29 is one of my favorite of P-Woods builds, just look at how young he was in the R&C Garage Scene feature by "Yer Ol Dad"! If you look closely, Pete's 32 3W is in the background which is now the chassis under Robert William's ex-Eights & Aces, now "Prickly Heat" roadster.

It would be cool to see that car wear the Kelsey's and grooved implements & Dirt Trackers again. (would love to have a set just like those DT's with that exact size and tread pattern)

I used to see this car everywhere when Vince drove the wheels off of it. Still remember the Datsun Pick Up tail lights and the piece that he made in the center to conceal them as a rolled rear pan, pretty ingenious in the late 70's to be able to think that out back then.

I remember it being all pearl yellow at some point then it got licked. Vince changed out the Kelsey's to Weld type wheels and the ever present Kleber 145-SR-15 fronts-BF Goodrich Sport Truck Radial T/A's in the rear. It's funny how a car is given it identity by its builder, that's precisely how I knew what this car was when I met Vince in the late 70's. I wasn't even driving age, but read old R&C's because they were in the garage where I worked on a pal (Mike V's) 23 Ford T-Roadster with a 57 Olds V8 that was around long before we both were apart of this world, (he's doing the bodywork on my own A-roadster that had a ton of work done to it's whole body by it's builder in 46).

The hood sides with curved louvers,Auburn dash, Chevy Engine and the Kelsey's were it's identifiers with Pete's build, He did a Y-Block powered 30 A roadster before this one with steelies and black paint.

Just as you plan to do, Vince drove the wheels off this car as I stated above. Used to see it at our Outrider Picnics and the Prowler's Picnics into the 90's. Heard about the accident and Vince's passing, Then Pete said he bought the remains back. Don ended up with it and it became a car again. Thought it might get restored to the Antique Nat's-Yester Year Drags version when it wore Red Oxide primer or perhaps the pearl yellow?

This car has the right owner and lots more miles will be put under the remaining hand made P-Wood parts and original and new sheet metal. Really looking forward to seeing it again as a car in
    it s new and continued chapter of it's enduring Hot Rod Life!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!! ;).

9. Wonder if anyone has pictures of it at the Drags in red oxide primer?
    Thanks for the compliment, and I would love to find a set of Kelsey's and dirt trackers for it.

10. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I believe the rears were widened by Eric, P-Wood would definitely know where a set would be, then you'd have to have him talk Eric into widening a set for you. Coker makes an 11:00-16 Dirt track tire - as seen on Coonan's Deuce when they did the "musical wheel/tire" swap @ the GNRS this year.
    I think they're about as close to what Vince ran before he swapped for the Welds, I just would love to have the "Earlier Large Angled Block" tread vs the" Double Diamond". The fronts are already available.
    You'll be at the LARS right? You may get lucky and find a set in the swap meet.

11. Not gonna make LARS this year. Pete told me that Eric did the wheels. Be great to find out who Vince sold or gave the originals to.

12. Close to being ready for paint. If it wasn't for the whole having to work for a living thing, this car would have been done months ago!

Attached Files:

13. Checking a few things before we pull the body off the chassis for paint

Attached Files:

14. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It sucks when life gets in the way of having fun, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

15. Yep, happens everytime!

16. Wet sanding the frame so I can paint it this weekend. It's been so damn hot lately that I haven't worked on the car since last Saturday.

Attached Files:

17. cuzncletus

cuzncletus

Just don't repaint it that hideous metalflake urine color the car was. It looked like someone emptied a dialysis bag on it. Yellow is fine, but not that yellow. Yes, the car has lots of history behind it but that's exactly where that color needs to stay...................unless you want to drive it in a lime green leisure suit. Now that would be cool.

18. Hey Pat,
    Not going to paint it yellow. Going 1932 ford Tunis grey with a black chassis.
    Do you have a Lime Green leisure suit? Haha

19. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I can understand your issues with the HEAT!!!! Its been over 100degrees in the Charlotte NC area for the last several days. Cooler air is on the way for this weekend so we can all get some garage work done...................(I got to learn how to post pictures).

20. Finally some paint went on today

Attached Files:

Tn. Trash, RICH B and Outback like this.
  21. Nice!
    Paint is a great milestone in a project.

22. sota

sota

Looks great AJ

23. Thanks Ed!

24. More parts got some black paint today.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    Tn. Trash likes this.
  25. sota

sota

Nice Jim it's all in the details!

26. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

What, no monochromatic yellow ??.........Just kidding.
    I love the look of gloss black, looking great so-far. When this thing is finished I would enjoy seeing it in person. Keep up the great work Jim.

27. Thanks! Your not to far away, stop by the shop anytime.

28. Getting to bolt brake and fuel lines to the chassis for good. Prepping all the chassis parts for final assembly. Hope everyone has a great Independence Day!

Attached Files:

29. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Jim, don't let the parts hit that nice Mustang. Looks go to go!

30. Thanks Lynn,
    I've had the Mustang since I was 15. It looks alot better in the picture! After the roadster is done I plan on doing some work on the Mustang to make it more user friendly!