Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody ever driven Hwy 1 in California?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flipper, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

After hitting SpeedWeek I have the crazy notion to see the Redwood trees in California and then drive the coast going south. Anybody ever made that drive (down the coast)? Is it worth the effort/agony of adding that many more miles to the trip? Any must see stops?

Driving the California coast seems like it should be a bucket list sort of item.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Is this a trick question??

Model T1 and Flipper like this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

where were you going to start and how far south were you going to go? I think if I lived in Kentucky a drive down or up the California coast would be something to see. put many miles on my motorcycle cruising the coast.

Flipper likes this.
  4. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Quickest way yo Eureka to see redwoods and then hug the coast to at least LA...maybe San Diego.

5. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

How many days should it take?

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

From the trip from Bonneville back to Kentucky? Well it's a bit off the route.. But I live here and just did the coast from Oregon to SF for the 100th time last weekend and was still mesmerized. Almost stacked my bike looking at the ocean.

Flipper likes this.
  7. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I won't be any closer any time soon....

8. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Well, it used to be a favorite scenic route for some of the NHRA drivers when the "Western Swing" ran from Sonoma to Seattle. Obviously the haulers ran up I-5. It's a killer side trip and something that should be seen even if it does add a few days to your trip. Redwoods and the rustic, rugged portion of the west coast. Go west and then head north to 26 or kick back east sooner unless you're set on a SoCal trip. Either way it's worth it. Figure at least 5 days additional

Flipper likes this.
  9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I80 is the quickest route across Nevada to Reno, spend the night and you really should see Lake Tahoe while you are so close. 80 again to Sacramento, then 5 north and 36 or 299 west to the coast (36 is famous, great route), should make that in a day. Avenue of the giants (Redwoods) to Leggett, then 1 down the coast all the way to SF. GG Bridge, Alcatraz, etc. I'll let someone else take it from there.. Carmel, Big Sur...

Flipper likes this.
  10. Rckt98

Rckt98

I have done the San Fran to LA down HWY1 several times over the years. Great drive, allow at least 2, maybe 3 days if you want to take in the scenic highlights. Hearst Castle is a must see. Take your time there is a lot to see.

Flipper likes this.
  11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Did it in my 36 Willys, Hearst Castle, Big Sur, Monterey. Camped out somewhere around Big Sur. We were on our way from San Diego to Andy's Picnic in Vallejo. That was in 1978 without a doubt well worth it. Now if I can find those pictures.

Pat

pitman and Flipper like this.
  12. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

YES! ca 1 is a very scenic from Monterey down to san luis obispo.

Flipper likes this.
  13. Did San Francisco to LA in one day.:cool: Lots of curves! :pBut I was young. :rolleyes:

Flipper likes this.
  14. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I still think of myself as young (47).....

Model T1 likes this.
  15. Autodave

Autodave
    from Menifee,Ca

One of the best drives...you won't regret it.

Flipper likes this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every couple of days.

Flipper likes this.
  17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

the overall beauty and overwhelming views make the trip well worth it, if you have the time and gas $$. remember, we have a lot of fast cars in California. but, the highways slow us down to a snails pace quite often. expect to hit a lot of traffic here and there along the way, especially with Summer vacations going on at the beaches. Look for signs for State Route 1 - Pacific Coast Highway (PCH), Cabrillo Hwy, Shoreline Hwy or Coast Hwy. Route begins near Legett in Mendocino County and terminates near Dana Point in Orange County at the I-5 Freeway that will take you down to San Diego.. Along the way it interacts with Hwy 101, especially around Ventura, Santa Barbara and the Golden Gate Bridge. Paper maps, Google maps, GPS, etc will help. finding motels, etc with a vacancy can be a challenge. but, there are apps for most of that. try to have fun.

Model T1 and Flipper like this.
  18. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

From San Francisco south roads are good going north they can be a tough what are you driving

19. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

A damn Toyota Yaris

20. I use to live in San Diego in the winter and Portland in the summer....would generally use the PCH for the trip twice a year....loved it but a word of caution.....staying on hiway 1 [or 101] through L.A. traffic is brutal! Traffic lights every 2 blocks for 100 miles. If you have a stiff clutch like I did, your left leg will lose 2 inches before it's all over.
    I'd suggest a freeway to bypass and then come back to 101 ...

Model T1 and 40fordtudor like this.
  21. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

That's the kind of stuff I need to kow.....

22. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I just did the drive from san diego to the oregon border on the coast. I cant wait to go again.

23. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

How long did it take you to do it?

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

DO IT! One of the most scenic rides you will ever take. Drove it North back in 1975 and then south in 2003, think the drive South was best. Got to check the dates, you may run into Pebble Beach week and get to see some of the finest cars in the world driving around. Look forward to your photos when you get back. Have fun! Bob

25. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

A couple of years ago I bought some parts from a shop getting a couple of cars ready for Pebble Beach....amazing work for sure!

26. uncle buck

uncle buck

I generally do the drive 1-2 times a year and have for several years. I always enjoy it. I would plan 4 days minimum if you want to really enjoy some sight seeing.

27. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Did it on a bike a few years back with 4 others on a lightly foggy day from Carmel to L.A.

Very cool.

do it.

Mike

28. town sedan

town sedan

You will love it. The guys are right the more time you give yourself the more you will enjoy it.

'83 to '85 I was stationed at Ft Ord. It is, or was, on the Monterey bay. Whenever the chance came to cruising up the coast to enjoy the redwoods, I would. -Dave

29. deucemac

deucemac

The drive between Big Sur aand San Simeon is spectacular. However, having driven that stretch of Hwy 1 many times over the years, be aware of rock slides and road washouts. It does not happen real often, but when it does, you may be back tracking a very long way. It is still worth the effort. Just keep that in the back of your mind.

30. dad-bud

dad-bud

My wife and I did it in 87 in a renter. Spectacular scenery. I definitely recommend you to do it. (I'm not saying this is THE most spectacular - there are lots and lots of other spectacular drives around the world, but you want to do this one, for sure).
    Enjoy, and post up lots of pics for us. (Just none of the Yaris, FFS!!!)