Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 58 Plymouth Belvedere old hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adventurer, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

More pics when you see some progress. :)

2. wallyringo

wallyringo

looking forward to what you do to it.

3. Whatever you do, don't seal it in an underground vault for 50 years. That's hard on them I hear.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  4. I like it like it is. With the popularity of Christine, there's plenty of restored examples.

I don't think the 20 number is right, even the DeSoto we had they sold 500 or so convertibles of just that model.

5. indyjps

indyjps

Paint, top, go over mechanical and drive it. Full in resto will be expensive and take a long time. Then it's perfect and won't get driven much.

6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

If you have all the original parts, store them away for future use and work with the engine/trans it has now (although that shifter needs to be replaced with something that looks more period correct.) :)

7. Zandoz

Zandoz

Just my .2 cents worth....

The repairs are a given, including body work and paint. On the paint issue, I'd only go with black if the body is straight enough.

Now for something I may catch flack for....I'd take it back to being a push button automatic. The pushbutton automatic is probably one of the most iconic features of late '50s thru early '60s MOPARs. It was born as a button baby, and it should be returned to it's roots.

From there I'd deck it out as a very very mild custom. Fender skirts, side pipes, Lancer spinners, etc...but no not easy removable mods.

On the engine...if it's serviceable now, I'd leave it as-is until all the other big stuff are out of the way. Then I'd go for the original 350...and what ever bolt-on speed and dress-up equipment you find.

8. You don't replace a Hurst shifter you just bolt a different stick on it. ;)

I would change the T handle out if it were mine but I didn't like the T handle when they were cool so it is just a quirk for me I guess.

9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I was never a fan of the T handle either. :rolleyes: They just don't feel right in my hand.

10. adventurer

adventurer

11. adventurer

adventurer

Changed the lever, made a lot of differences...still don't know if I like the T handle....just had it. WIll get a black Hurst ball...and will see how it looks. In the menatime I am working on the engine compartment....valve covers polished, radiator support sandblasted and powder coated....inner fenders Painted...radiator redone...

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Super nice car. Although I've always been a Chevy fan its nice to see something different for a change.

Gary

13. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I would move the tach to a location where it would be easier to see while driving.