Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The John Mearns '32 Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The John Mearns '32 Coupe

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Boy that is some nice frame work.Thank you.

3. seatex

seatex

That's it. I'm calling bullshit. Tardel is really a robot, isn't he? The "Tardel1000XLNT", right? Probably built by Baleigh, too...........spill the beans, Cochran, or the guilt is gonna eat you up. "Another can of Soylent Green for Mr.s Tardel and Cochran, please!"
    Scribed............. (beautiful framework)

bengeltiger likes this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm so all over this one.
    Look'n forward to the next installment.
    Hey Larry, Wakee Wakee.

Texas Webb likes this.

5. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is beautiful. So many great details. I can't wait to see more.

6. This is going to be a fun ride for sure....signed up to follow along

7. You had me sold at, "Nailhead"! With all of those that are already involved, it has no option but to be a kick ass hot rod! Has the body been chopped? Any pictures of it???

8. This is going to be good!:cool:

9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those hairpins were my tipping point...I'm along for the ride.

10. Me Too! Love hair pins!:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

11. Ryan I just want to say thanks for reporting Keith's progress. It just doesnt get much better than high quality pictures showing high quality builds. I hope we can expect more of this!

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. The builds and history are what really make the HAMB, to me. Great to see more quality builds being documented, seems it had slacked off for while. It does take a little effort to snap some pictures, write a few things up, and get it posted to the board in some organized fashion. The 'new' HAMB has much improved handling and the curves can be negotiated with relative ease, thanks. Looking forward to another fine build from Keith, should be a good 'un. Hopefully it will inspire more. Cover as much detail as you dare. I know some folks get bored with detail coverage. But hey, not I, go for it man. Thanks again!

seadog likes this.
  13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Brothers, welcome to the Church (sorry Colby) of Ryan and Keith
    Gaze upon the alter of the '32 Ford
    I SAY HALLELUIAH!
    ok not really, but amazing workmanship.

14. A Nailhead powered chopped 5 window with 3 pedals!
    Sounds like a great combination to me, although I might be slightly biased.

15. louisb

louisb

16. I suspect Jim Jacobs deserves some of the credit on that chassis fab, design/work. He and Walden have worked well together for a few years now.

17. Raffle time ! Sell tickets to personally hold beers/wash tequila glasses/sweep floors for you guys. I'm sure the tool polishing is delegated elsewhere but one could have separate AC/DC derived sweepstakes for that one. :D I hope this marriage continues for our sakes. Photography is key note to the practical knowledge here ... and much appreciated. Thank you mucho' !!!!!!

18. brady1929

brady1929

Damn this is going to be good!
    I am going to be broke if you continue to take your really cool pictures Ryan. With the removable posters and all.

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks for following along fellas! Much of the day has been spent unpacking parts and making parts lists. A couple of neat things:

1. John got some NOS '32 hood latches. Look close and you can see they have 60's era Ford part numbers and labels. That means Ford was making these latches at least 30 years after the car ceased production. Makes me wonder what else was using these things.

14.jpg

2. Gauges are really important to me. Nothing drives me more crazy than the perfect car with new white faced VDO gauges or really anything that comes in a vacuum packaged set of 5 or 6. John feels the same way. These are RAD:

16.jpg

Anyway, just a few of the things getting unpacked around here... Keith did get some work done. The car came to us with Sanderson headers that looked a bit like this:

headers.jpg

I like Sanderson headers and think they make a pretty damn good product, but logos are for t-shirts - right? Keith cleaned em up a bit:

15.jpg

I think they look 100% better... Of course, getting rid of the single piece header flange helps A TON as well... Keith made em look 1950's factory fresh.

-Brent-, dana barlow and HEMI32 like this.
  20. seatex

seatex

[​IMG]
    Those are beautiful, but won't the nail pull more than 4?

21. silverdome

silverdome

If the rest of the car is as detailed as the frame then it will be a real nice ride. Maybe a little less rust though :).

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It sounds like a dentist's office in the shop right now. Surface rust is being attended too! :)

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Valid question... Not sure anyone has thought that far ahead yet!

24. flamingokid

flamingokid

His work never fails to amaze me,it's what we all aspire to be....and with Chinese wrenches ;)

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

He just did this with a Chinese grinder. Left is before, Right is after... The idea here is to make a well fabbed piece look a little more factory... a little older... by beveling the edges. Not that anyone will ever see this stuff... except for right now I guess!

17.jpg

dana barlow and 3dnsouth like this.
  26. Must be something in the water down in Dripping Springs that enables
    one to crank out HotRods at an incredible rate.
    Keith Tardel, Chris Casny, and i'm pretty sure I saw that
    Lee Pratt has something in the works too.

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Chris is a beast... He gets some shit done and has a great eye to boot. Hell, he gets all that shit done while coming over here to help us as well as helping Lee all the time too. Texas man. Can't beat it.

#leeprattrules

dana barlow, 63fdsnr and Flowmeister like this.
  28. Very cool. This is going to be another interesting project.

29. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I'm in for the ride and maybe even learn something new along the way.

Jimbo

30. Mearns is a great guy too....