Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 58 Plymouth Belvedere old hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adventurer, Jun 30, 2015.

1. adventurer

adventurer

Here is my latest project, a 58 Plymouth Belvedere convertible that was born with a Golden Commando 350 engine, and a pushbutton auto trans. The car was originally blck with red and black interior and White convertible top. During the years, the engine was changed to a very healthy 64 383 with 4 speed trans. Many parts were changed for racing use, like gauges, bucket seats, headers, and so on. All parts were changed during the sixties and the seventies. Then car was put away, and resurfaced when old owner died and estate was sold. Very little rust, despite being sold new in Ohio.
    Now the question is, how do I restore this thing? I know that the car is very rare, being produced in less than 20 examples. But on the other way, I also like old hot rods, with genuine speed parts and patina. There is rust on the front eyebrows, and lots of dents and scrapes, so the car will have to be repainted. I prefere black over the metallic brown that's on the car now. But still uncertain about interior, if fixing the 66 buckets on the car now, or redoing the bench with correct stuff. Also, what to do with the trans...going back to pushbutton auto or keep the 833 four speed that is in the car now.

here are some pics

[​IMG]

2. adventurer

adventurer

3. Well I am with you on the old hot rod thing and maybe if it were mine I would treat it like an old hot rod that changed hands and got that personal touch from the new owner. I am afraid that the 383 4 speed would have to stay.

I wasn't aware that Plymouth made a 350 a poly I am guessing? I'll have to find out more about the original motor in that car just to satisfy my curiosity.

Nice old car none the less no matter what you decide it will be a sweet ride when done.

4. 350 was a small bore 361 which was a small bore 383 (low block).

5. adventurer

adventurer

Plymouth 350 was the first B block in 1958...and this gave way to 361, 383 and 400. The 440, or 413, or 426 were derived from this design and were called Rb, raised B

6. wallyringo

wallyringo

how about changing the convertible top and drive as is? are you keeping it or selling it?

7. Thanks I have heard of and played with all of them except the 350. I just never heard of the 350 before. Anyway that saves me from wracking my brain trying to find out.

8. mjlangley

mjlangley
    from SE MI

Looks like a one-of-a-kind project. It would cause a lot of double-takes with some fresh paint but the later-model power train.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

9. WOW. Great car you have there. Yes, rare or not ... keep the 4 speed. It's part of it's history. Why not throw a party continually for that ?

I had an off topic L78 396 original paint Camaro SS with less than 18,000 miles, and tons of hand painted white pinstripes from it's era. When I found it, it had been parked for 20 years. It's history was blown up big block under warranty too many times. Set up for slalom racing as a small block. Parked in 1974. Yep. Celebrate what you have. Let the restorers resurrect the dead. You're lucky enough to blow the dust off of the still living. Your car is bad ass.

10. George

George

1st BB & only year made. If your actually going to restore it, check out www.forwardlook.net

11. oldolds

oldolds

This option has my vote!

12. adventurer

adventurer

driving as is is out of question....needs clutch, power steering reinstalled...seats redone...and so on...
    This is a keeper....

13. Porknbeaner and Wallyringo have it right. Fix the clutch, power steering, top and body work, get it repainted and enjoy a slightly updated Plymouth that is true to its Mopar heritage. I always felt that 361 and 383 engines were underappreciated.

14. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I don't get the leaving it with patina, aka rust, I would fix it and repaint it whatever color makes you happy. I do think I would retain the 383 and 4 speed and enjoy it as a resto rod. Nice find.

deuce354 likes this.
  15. George

George

Yeah, either the body survives or it doesn't. If it doesn't, nothing else you do to the car matters.

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Get it driveable and put a new top on it and have fun for awhile,if you dont have the funds for the top put it down and put the boot on and have fun.

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool ride - will not be a quick, or cheap one. but, in the long run will be well worth it as a keeper. leave "improvements" in.

18. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

A '58 Belvedere convertible built black, with a red interior, white top, and a dual quad 350? I'm not sure there is a more desirable Plymouth on the planet. You are very lucky.

I am 100% a custom guy, but I would put that one back to stock, just like the day it was built. So I guess I'm really a 99% custom guy. ;)

19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Decisions decisions

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

What's not to like about a topless Christine? My understanding is that if you talk nicely to her she will restore herself.

21. Yea and then stuff you into the wall. :D

I did meet a topless Christine once, she was a Hippy chick. I never really liked Hippies but I liked hippy chicks. :)

The car can be as smooth as silk and should be before it gets put away for its next long nap. Might not happen if I owned it but I at least would get a good start on it for the guy that finished it. :D

22. fms427

fms427

Really your car and your call- I have done cars both ways. Just remember most high bucks restorations will want 'original" everything- numbers matching, original paint, stories about low mileage and previous owners , etc. and endless sitting around at concours talking about such.... Obviously, I'm not a fan.... As nice as your car is- it's originality is a long way gone...

I would much prefer a well done " resto- rod" - keep the current power train and do the paint, interior, and top as you like it - if it is indeed a keeper, why worry about original restoration....

23. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Only 20 made? Only 20 convertibles, or 20 with those particular colors/options?
    Hagerty Price Guide rates the car between $29,000 to $90,000 (which is about 3X the value of a regular coupe with a 318 but not an awful lot more than a base convertible with a 318). There were also two different 350 engines, one with 305hp and another 315hp.

Problem is, I suspect the original engine is lost. If it were mine, I'd clean it up and run the existing drivetrain. As far as paint, etc. it's a personal choice. Plum Crazy or Patina, to each his own.

24. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

the 1958 350 was a bigblock, same stroke as the 383 smaller bore.

25. Why not dress the 383 to look like the 350 with 2 fours. Make it look like it's factory livery without going overboard on a resto. It would appear to be factory stock without the time and expense. Hardly anyone could tell what is factory correct or not and it doesn't matter. Neat car, I'd keep the 4-speed and throw some rims on it.

283john likes this.
  26. Word of caution on the two-fours: Unless you put a stronger cam in there, you'll find no discernable power increase and much worse fuel economy. Went there once with a friend's former highway patrol '63 Belvidere.

27. adventurer

adventurer

I have all the parts to restore to stock. Bench seat, auto trans, 350 block, dual four ...but really prefere the early hot rod look. I can go stock after I enjoy as is now. Will paint the car black because I am partial to black. But will keep the 383 and the 4 speed for now. I don't care about selling, so I will build the car as I like. No modification is irreversible....can go back to stock when I want. Thank you for the input..will keep posted with the resto

28. adventurer

adventurer

The engine is VERY strong.....a dual four will be a blast to drive

29. If the 350 was like the early 383 it will be a tall deck and the '64 383 should be a low deck. The 350 intake may not fit the current engine.

I like the look for the engine that is in it simple and to the point, what I like probably isn't important but in my opinion it looks good.

30. adventurer

adventurer

The engine is a 64 383...so it's a low deck. Dual four intake will swap. Now I am using some lacquer thinner to remove some flat black on the firewall, to expose the original black paint. Time consuming, but Worth it