Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. brad2v

brad2v

I've gotta get to LARS one year soon, but maybe I'll take the George approach. I'm going to start planning, I need some parts for my rpu.

2. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

You had the best deal in the park on water! Saved a lot of lives. Thanks

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, I didnt get a body, just the fenders and so on. A buddy of mine parted one out without telling me, sold the body to one of those " real hardcore trad hot rod guys":rolleyes: He didnt want the practically mint fenders or splash aprons, or even the inner door panels, and my buddy had already turned a decent profit off the body and running gear, so I got the rest cheap, and they are really cherry. The guy that bought the body is gonna chop it channel it and double z it. Hes 6'4", my buddy figures he probably wont be able to drive the finished car...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    dana barlow likes this.
  4. brad2v

brad2v

Is this future project material George?

dana barlow likes this.
  5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

In my youth I acquired a 26/27 tudor T body complete with fenders that I had plans to build a tall full fendered and complete with hood over a Pontiac, the old half of a 389 banger until my Dad came home and raised hell, and said "get that thing out of my garage". My Dad was not fond of my hot rod ambitions although he wasn't able to get me to forget that desire completely, he did bring an end to that project real quick.:(

volvobrynk and dana barlow like this.
  6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It could be. I have all the parts to make a psuedo '57 270hp 283, and a t10/4.10 geareddrop out center ten bolt to back it up. Gotta do something with it. If I run across a clean unchopped, tudor body for a decent price, I would drag it home, thats for sure. I spotted a '27 grill shell on local craigslist that looks decent as well, gonna go take a look.
    My dad was a car guy, but into sporty cars, HATED hot rods.

7. brad2v

brad2v

There was a pretty clean tudor on the local kijiji a couple weeks back come to think of it...

8. Tim, very cool watch!

Steve

9. WOW! 3 days without a post! Everyone must be recovering from LARS? I've got to go get a new patch cord to get my photos off my wife's camera, but I really didn't take that many.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Might be the only photo I took at LARS this year. Tim with a T. A little inspiration for him. The new red hoses look good in this shot. All went well on the trip. Talked to a lot of old and new friends. Participation was down but it was hot and we're all getting a little older except for Tim.
    Gary

IMG_0285.jpg

11. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Amen on the getting older for us old farts, but Tim is just a pup :rolleyes: I can almost remember what it was like to be so young. o_O The red hoses do look good on there Gary.

12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Yup.our Dad's backing us up was very helpfull to what ever amount they did,my Dad would not sign for me to get the cars I really wanted an tryed hard to talk him in to,even though I was the one paying for them. He was trying to protect me,but I didn't think so at the time. When I was trying that it was mid 1950s and that game went on tell I dragged home a badly crashed in rear 1928 A roadster with no motor or tranny that a farmer gave me. I think at that point he knew it was time to sign for something he though could be a safe bet to him.
    The cars I tryed to get ; $ 200 1953 Study v8 hardtop coupe{ had a bad rod but real nice shape],,$110 1935 Cord 812 {bad shift selinods an seats were at lest two tigers had a fight,,1930A coupe, hotrod open wheel, chop of about 3in. with v8 flathead an bad clutch,needed lots but I liked it,, he did end up signing for a $75 Henry J w/blown tranny=I had most of my saving still.. So I was working on two cars kind of mine,the "J" was EZ to get running,my A took tell 59 to get running,Dad even helped a little on "J" when it was stock,but only 6months later I put a Olds Rocket v8 an tran in the "J" anyway. But he was not going to help with that or my "A" he just called a junker.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  13. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

My Dad wasn't a car guy either, he made me get rid of my first hot rod before I got started on it, 26/27 T tudor that I wanted to put in a Pontiac banger, half of the 389 banger, with full fendered complete with hood and fenders. He came home and found it sitting in the garage and he came unglued, said get that thing out of my garage!!! :(:(:(

dana barlow and volvobrynk like this.
  14. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

If it makes any of you old farts feel better, most of the time I convince myself I'm still young, I try something stupid on my skateboard and end up hobbling around like a 60yr old man for a few days (like Tuesday for example). I'm just trying to fit in with y'all :)

15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Tim, I wish I still felt like I did when I was 60, I could get a lot more done on my project than I am able to do now.

dana barlow and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  16. nobux

nobux

[​IMG]

I rolled my chassis outside for the first time this year, so I could clean up my garage and get the body dug out of the corner.

17. Zandoz

Zandoz

My dad was a car guy, but outside of his factory street rod MOPARs and his MG, he was not into performance oriented stuff. He just liked cars. There were times in the 70s that between him and I we would have up to 8 cars...and probably 6 of them would be considered projects. When I wanted a car, all I had to do was show him the cash and where I was going to park it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Damn, Nobux! It's almost a car! We'll see.you cruising sometime this summer?

19. nobux

nobux

It's getting to the point that I believe that there might actually be a light at the end of the tunnel. I can't see it yet, but it might be there.

This part of a build is fun. If you did your homework, the car seems to assemble itself. I need to weld on some slant cut header extensions and get them sandblasted and painted white. The gas tank needs to be painted white, so I can get the fuel system plumbed.
    I have to figure out the finned Buick brakes, so I can swap them for the F-1's I have on there now. Hopefully, I'll have the body back on tonight. It's still in gel coat. I can't decide on a color. Black, Marina blue, or Hugger orange....

20. pitman

pitman

Guess I'm for the Black. Then detailed w/striping, etc.

21. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

I don't post a lot but do enjoy this thread. I've been working on a T-Bucket for the last year off and on. It had been a stalled project for ten years when I got it. I kept the frame, body, and axles for the build and utilized a good bit of left over parts I have on hand (some OT for now).
    image.jpg image.jpg
    I just finished the fuel and brake systems this weekend after a month working on it off and on.
    image.jpg image.jpg So I dropped the drivetrain back in to make sure everything cleared and fuel lines still mated up between the rail mounted regulator engine feed lines.
    image.jpg At least it gives the appearance of getting closer with the engine in.
    image.jpg And this is it mocked up with the body. A lot of work yet to do but getting there. Next is driveshaft and loop.
    Thanks,
    Mike

falcongeorge and AndersF like this.
  22. Zandoz

Zandoz

Look'n good!

I'm wondering if that Moon-esque tank in front of the radiator might block airflow enough to cause cooling problems.

01mikep and whiplash1923T like this.
  23. A Boner

A Boner

Like the headers.....where are they from?
    image.jpg

01mikep likes this.
  24. Looks good, Mike!

01mikep likes this.
  25. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

Thanks for the warning about possibility blocking airflow. If it causes issues I'll take it off.

I was going to use it as a feeder tank to the rear tank. Was going to leave the bed top enclosed with the main tank there and feed it by the "Moonish" tank up front via electric fuel pump.

I've since decided not to do so. I may use it as a radiator overflow or just take it off. I'm still mocking a lot of things here and there till I make my mind up.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  26. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

I'm a big fan of the headers as well. 1 7/8 primaries, 3 1/2 collectors, and in a design similar but not the same as most buckets I see.

Bad news is they are from Stahl Headers. They made great headers for 50 years but closed their shop last fall. I felt guilty for buying these at their going out of business sale for $100. Normally $6-700 if I remember right.

Their stuff was always a little pricey I thought but it was always high quality stuff and friendly folks on the phone. Hell, they even threw in the 7 bolt adapter flanges at no cost when I got the headers when the flanges usually cost more than what I paid for the headers.

27. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Olmikep,I like the look of headers too. pretty nice looking T,going tobe great when it gets some shiny paint on it. The moon tank thing is just trendy junk ,except if its a drag race only car,dose not belong on street cars. Your valve covers look like there is some type of vent on the out side wrong place for vents=leak all over the side of motor an make a mess over a fairly short time,vents need to be near very top of high point of cover only,mostly you see them on the intake side or top, not EX down side,you maybe able to just turn them around if they don't hit blower. The steering arm from your steering box is super bad place,some rethink needs to be done on your mount up and placemint{ maybe up 2in. or so/make box come through frame, ,As is, anything you run over that's a little high can crash you,by hitting the arm and steering the rod hard right out of control. Headlight are just a little too low to work well,up only a few in. makes a big def at nite lighting the road. Take this as helpfull info

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    01mikep, brad2v and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  28. Nice looking T right there but please loose the tank in front.JW

01mikep likes this.
  29. I LOVE this shot. THIS is what makes the T-Bucket so freaking attractive to me. It is the most basic intersection of form and function. you can tell so much about a car in this stage. proportion, wheelbase, stance, wheel/tire combo. love it. good job.

brad2v likes this.
  30. pitman

pitman

Agree w/Dana. The front mounted tie rod can be a challenge to get Ackerman effect correct. The car's lines look great.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    01mikep likes this.