Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** June 2015 Banger Meet - Cruising Time ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jun 1, 2015.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Did the dyno and got 60 HP and 170 ft lbs of torque. Changed from 2 97's to a single 97 rejetted for 1000' elevation

hotrodA likes this.
  2. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Can you post your combination and the dyno sheets. What did the afr look like

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

x2

60HP engine or at the wheels ??

4. Miller and Cragar heads originally came with 1 7/8" valves.

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

60 HP at the wheels. Will post details and a video later. This is a Zipper with '31 Model A running gear. Engine was built 25 years ago with inserts. Over the years I've added headers, FS ignition, a B-F super head and a '39 transmission. Switched from a pair of English 97's to a single 97.

waxhead likes this.
  6. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

Our Speedster produced 77 HP, 173 pounds of Torque at rear wheels turning 3400 RPM. Engine is Full Pressure Balanced Model B, Thomas 7:1 Head, Dual Stromberg 81s, FSI Ignition, Larger Intake Valves with a Model B Cam. Trans is 35 Ford, model A 3.27 Rear End Ratio. Fun Event. We will return for 2017 Event. image.jpg

41FordSuperDeluxe and waxhead like this.
  7. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

The Fuel Injected machine had 140 HP on rear wheels, don't know other details. Carbs manage Air Flow. Also has crank trigger ignition. image.jpg

waxhead and Kjell Elias like this.
  8. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Hope you all can help me . Took my Pickup out for a test run. It over heated pushing the water out the over flow. Let it cool down and add coolant 50/50 mix , restarted it and notice no water flow just a raise in the tank of the coolant and the stock water pump stated to leak . Qusestion is should I replace with a stock A pump or something else.
    Engine has 6:1 alu. head ,twin 81s, headers, 60 over with balance crank and 36 lb flywheel, Jim B R1 cam . Tank was just gone thru at rad. shop

9. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

new leakless pump & recore the radiator .......

10. If you over fill the radiator it will push the excess water out of the overflow tube. Rebuild the pump with a leakless kit or replace pump with same leakless feature. Flush the radiator out checking the flow. Which tank was just gone through? You didn't say but was the pump leaking before?

11. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

thanks for the help!
    The Radiator was gone thru , but I will check the ticket. I was wanting to stave with the Model A pump so a new one will be ordered , I was reading on the V8 pumps but the cost is up there to make the change.
    The radiator did not over flow the first test run only after I finished putting the front fenders and doors on and drove it a longer test run.

Thanks again

12. 97

13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

anyone know about a WICO MAGNETO Model JEM 1509 ? ............... thanks .. steve

14. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

15. 97

16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

thanks "97" . that's what I needed ................ steve

17. Tedders

Tedders

Looking for information, pics of how you have run your fuel to the carb. I'm building a 28 rpu with a model t tank in bed, fuel pump to down draft with 97

18. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

mount pump at the tank (push not pull) , and go from there .........

19. 97

You will need a fuel pump AND a fuel pressure regulator ...a good one that works properly... not one of the cheesy cheap ones. If you have a B motor you can use the original block mounted manual pump, if not you need a low pressure electric pump. Stromberg 97s only use around 2.5 to 3 psi., (3.5 maximum ) . Any more pressure and you will have trouble with mixture control.

20. RussTee

RussTee

Also put a good filter between tank and pump most modern push pumps dont like rubbish.

21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

where were these dyno tests done ?

22. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Thanks for the links , After reading them
    Going with the waterpump from Bratton , they are 20 min from my house and I like the prebuilt one that is $120 with the 2 yr. warnity That way I may be able to make cruse nite on Friday

23. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dyno results...
    I missed this year but the Speedster Trials and Reunion at Speedway Motors, Lincoln, Nebraska they have a driving tour, hill climb and you can run your car to a frame dyno as part of the activities. I believe this is where the numbers are coming from any 4 cyl powered car is welcome as long as it is pre '35
    I'm not missing it again

24. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

Dyno Runs were performed at "The Shop" in Lincoln during the Speedway Motors Speedster Trials and Renion. The Museum of Speed (part of Speedway Motors) hosts the event in June on odd numbered years. An mentioned above, it includes: a Road Tour of about 200 miles, Hill Climb using F.A.S.T. Rules, and Dyno Runs. You also have a lot of free time to visit the museum. Group picture outside the museum. image.jpg

waxhead and Jiminy like this.
  25. Tuumer

Tuumer
    from Finland

I have similar Scintilla mag also. Too bad it died 2years ago. I really liked look of mag and it worked well before it died.
    It has self advance and was used previously in water pump. Now i'm running FSI.

Does anybody knows where you can get new coil to Scintilla?

26. Joe Hunt coils might work?
    http://www.huntmagnetos.com/parts/

27. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Dusty where in md are you. two of my cars are in Mt airy right down street from brattons and the other is in gaithersburg. Being able to walk into brattons is amazing. It helps that they are the nicest people as well.

28. ebtm3

ebtm3

Ne4ver been to Brattons, but plus 2 on them being nice, and accommodating!

Herb

29. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I live so close it's like running down to advanced auto except they have everything

30. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I live an hour and a half from Bert's in Denver and I have to admit it is very nice.