Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1 barrel carb air cleaners

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rui, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Man, the offer outhere is a bit mind bending. From the more reputable, desirable and expensive, to the poor quality stuff, you take your pick.. Amidst the range, there are those that are finned, louvered, polished, raised or lowered, w/ nut, no nut, the ones that say that fit all necks, plus the adapters, cleaning fluids, replacement filters and so forth.
    Fact is I'd like to ditch the OE oil bath tub. The thing so large and heavy that it seems to want to rip off the Holley 1904 right out of the intake log!
    Also I'd like to freshen up the engine bay, by simplifying and cleaning it visually. Plus it leaks a bit altough I have already tig welded it a couple of times.
    Dont want something out of fast and furious, no CAIs, I run a stock weathered 223 six for heaven sake. I'd like one of those little mid 50's dry round flying saucer cleaners, NOS or used, refreshable, something that goes along with the rest of the car.

So.. what are you one barrel guys using to keep dirt out of your inners?

Regards

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The air cleaner that came on your engine is actually going to work better than any replacement. The passages directing airflow into your Holley are shaped to maximize it's economy and performance.
    Want to improve something ? Wash your "weathered" engine so it looks nice ...

3. 'Mo

'Mo

This may not be what you're after, but I really dig the looks of this later model Ford unit!
    (Reminds me of those on the Hudson Twin H.)

[​IMG]

Mid-century Chevy PU dry filters are the darlings of the Stovebolt set.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Whatever you get won't work as well or as cheaply as the oil bath. Why not clean it, paint it, and service it and let it go at that?

Or add some pinstripes if you want to be fancy.

Model T1 likes this.

5. Rob68

Rob68

Stock filter unit with an 10" top from unknown vehicle. Napa carries the filter if this helps.

6. Hey there guys, thanks for your input.
    @302:I've been keeping the bay area and engine clean and simple. Aside this size issue, the unit leaks a bit. I guess thats normal given the age. Take a look at the pics attached. I'd like to have a slicker cleaner.
    @'Mo: cant see the Ford pic but those little Chevrolet dry saucer cleaners was what I was talking about. Found 'em new yesterday for some 60 or 70$.
    @Rusty: Dont want to be fancy... If I could pinstripe, then yeah, sure. But I cant so it doesnt make much sense to me. I like clean simple and solid things. Anyway, look at the pics attached. BTW, sorry for the probably dumb question, but is the oil bath needed, I mean, for instance, are there important oil particles atomized/carried by the air flux that benifit the overall runnin?
    @Rob: thats interesting. How's that a stock converted unit? Is it on the truck on your avatar?
    Regards

Attached Files:

302GMC and Model T1 like this.
  7. wsdad

wsdad

The way it was explained to me is that the oil catches dust particles the same way mucus does in your lungs. The dust sticks to it while the air just goes on through it.

I believe they are designed to keep the dirty oil out of your engine, so there's no beneficial oil particle atomization going on that you're going to miss out on by going with a paper filter.

It was also told they were a little bit more restrictive than paper filters but not too much more.

We had one on an old International schoolbus/camper my dad had rebuilt when I was a kid. We put a lot of miles on it going to the, "Feast of Tabernacles" every year. But he was the one that maintained it, `cause I was just a kid. I've not had any personal experience with them.

8. Thanks for the input wsdad.
    I was aware of the principle of cleaning air thru oil. Eventough the only stuff going in after the carb should be the air/fuel mix, there could have been an added reason for the presence of oil.
    The bath type cleaner is a bit messy anyhow.
    Regards.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  9. Rob68

Rob68

Yes it is the stock base that bolts to the 1904 ( as far as I know). I took the big metal top half ( that covers the entire element) off. My neighbor had the small top cover and it fit perfectly. I have it on my 272 that is in the truck now. I always thought it might be cool to have the original cover louvered all the way around someday

10. Yup, I like that one. It doesnt get lost in the engine area and its pretty clever looking. Dont have the cover tough..
    Thanks

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Oil bath cleaners work well and last the life of the car. Clean and refill with oil every few years. 1 quart of 50 oil will last for years since you only use about 1/5 of it every 10,000 - 20,000 miles.

They only went to paper filters because they are cheaper (for the manufacturer, not for you) and easier to fit under the hood.

If it is messy and leaky it is probably because it has thin oil in it. You must use thick oil like 50 wt.

Other than cost, there is no reason not to use a paper filter if you want to.

Can give you more complete details on servicing the oil bath air cleaner if you like.

12. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

you can probably modify the oil bath housing to hold a paper element. this would weigh less and not leak, and look stock. seems like a step backwards though.

13. Thank you for your input guys, I appreciate it.
    I dont want to chop the old air cleaner.
    The HAMB is a mighty fine thing to be involved in. Even the most modest of questions will teach something. Didnt imagine I had to use thicker straight weight oil in the cleaner... I keep using what is at hand, mostly what I run in the engine, 15W40, 20W50.. Thanks rusty.
    I'm gonna clean, repair, paint and service it properly.
    But.. I'm gonna get me one of those little flyin saucers. Heck, they'r super fine!
    Regards

14. oj

oj

Ditto what Mo said

Attached Files:

15. That intake is gorgeous. What is it?

16. 'Mo

'Mo

That is a Tattersfield intake, and a real piece of work. The two-plane design helped equalize fuel distribution by imposing partial restriction to the center port.

Tattersfield was partnered with Thickstun, producer of the first flathead V8 aftermarket 2x2 intake manifold.
    When Tommy Thickstun died (in 1947), Tattersfield re-branded and manufactured under his own name, from 1948 to 1952.

Below is an even earlier Chevy 2x2, as offered by the Thickstun Company. This is the celebrated "Dog Bone".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  17. A really beautiful part. Thanks for sharing.

18. Anyway, here's an update:
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg
    Regards

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Hubcaps for top and bottom?? Clever and attractive. That's the spirit, make your own! Nice work.

Ray

20. oj

oj

That is a hell'uva piece of work! Damn.
    What happened to the other 12? you must be hard on hacksaws! LOL

21. Thanks guys.
    Oj, I do like to hacksaw stuff. It can be much more precise than angle grinders, given the fact that I dont own other equipment. And yeah, I use it quite often. It seems much more appropriate to accomplish some tasks. Its rewarding and calm.
    Thirteen ya know is in fact a surfboard "brand" that a best friend makes. So we tend to get grapghic about it and write it all over stuff. Besides that I like to draw.
    The cleaner is almost done, I'll update later.
    Regards

22. Wyo George

Wyo George

I love the idea, I might borrow it for my '49 dodge when I finally get it pulled in the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Very nice....it looks very well done!:)

24. Thanks guys.
    Not quite done yet, still missing the wire mesh. Cant seem to find what I want.
    Here's two shots of current state.
    Regards 11.jpg

12.jpg

25. Final:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      352.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      278.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      243.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      287.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      271.4 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      300.6 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      322.3 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      323.2 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      250.2 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      248.2 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      337.9 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      928.2 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      455.1 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      260.5 KB
      Views:
    • 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      334.9 KB
      Views:
    • 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      301.4 KB
      Views:
    • 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      File size:
      320.5 KB
      Views:
    • 18.jpg
      18.jpg
      File size:
      304 KB
      Views:
    'Mo likes this.
  26. Jim alexander

Jim alexander

This is mine! I cleaned and repainted it. Looks and works like new.

Attached Files:

27. MILOJ

MILOJ
    from Waterford.

I always wondered why they call them oil bath air cleaners. Then I found out when the air cleaner started leaking out the bottom from a pin hole in the metal all over my freshly painted engine