Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Title issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mjcat, Jun 24, 2015.

1. mjcat

mjcat

Hey guys, so I have a friend that stumbled across a real 32 5w. He hasn't purchased the car yet and is concerned about an issue with the title. He says that the car has a salvage title. He really wants the car because it's an original 5w but doesn't know if he should deal with the salvage title. What's everyone's thoughts? I don't have much experience with this and don't know what to tell him.

2. uncle buck

uncle buck

A salvage title is not going to hurt anything unless he plans on restoring it to a correct stock restoration. It will probably have a state issued vin number tag on it and as long as that matches he should be fine

3. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

How often will anyone see the title ? a lot can happen in 83 years.

4. I would be more concerned about the cost then the title on a deuce 5 window.

traffic61 likes this.

5. If I had a chance to buy a '32 5wndw I wouldn't get too caught up in the title, salvage or whatever. As long as the title is legit in the state in question. There are other ways to get a title later. Tim

6. redo32

redo32

First I've heard of a salvage title for a hot rod, unless it was totaled and the insurance company was required to sell it with a salvage title. As a hot rodder into '32's I would not be concerned as long as the numbers match. As a matter of fact my last 3 deuces had goofy numbers, but with patience and perseverance I got the numbers straightened out. Love the DMV experience!!

7. Some states used to issue a salvage title if you bought the car in pieces. like chassis one place body another and drive train somewhere else.

Calif is odd on titles so I can't be much help with what calif would do.

8. LOUDERMILK64

LOUDERMILK64
    from INDIANA

I would go for it

9. dan31

dan31

Tell him to buy it now.

10. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I know that in some states a salvage title makes the car unable to be licensed. I would never suggest something illegal, but there are places where you can purchase a title, buy the car!!!!! Most antique cars that I have purchased in the past didn't have paperwork and always got them registered. Again buy the car!!

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

salvage title will stay with car, even when it changes hands. your insurance company might not insure it. if totaled in a wreck might not get full value.

12. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Something seems strange to me on this one , if its an original car why would it have a salvage title. Salvage titles are usually for wrecked -damaged cars that have been declared a total loss through an insurance company.In Iowa salvage cars are required to to be inspected by the State DOT. Original cars would not generally fit in this category.

13. As long as the numbers match I don't see where he should have a problem any place. I talked to DMV in Ore about this & they said go to the state police for questions or problems as they cannot & do not deal with changing a title from salvage to standard.. I also talked to Grundy about insuring a salvage or rebuilt title & same answer . No problem as long as everything matches. If the car has a state issued number DO NOT remove it or you will be in deep shit,think felony here. I have not talked to the state police about changing a rebuilt or salvage title to a standard title as of today .I do plan to do so one of these days. I cannot vouch for other states but would suggest you talk to DMV or state police in your area.

14. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Salvage titles in CA are issued when a car is 1) Totaled by an insurance company and the car is bought back or 2) A car is sold to a junkyard and then that yard re-sales the car to an individual. No problem registering a salvage-titled car in CA. The car must be safety-inspected before the salvage title is issued. The state issues these "salvage" titles to protect the buyer from buying wrecked or rebuilt cars that are not advertised as such.

15. fergusonic

fergusonic
    from Kokomo, In

If the Salvage Certificate (Title) is old; it may not be in Ca. Data base and, therefore, one could apply for a regular title.

16. mjcat

mjcat

Thanks for responses. Ya, I initially told him to buy it. It's not everyday we come across real bodies. I believe he said the insurance company declared it salvaged and the previous owner bought it back frm the insurance company. See if he buys it! Hopefully he does

17. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Even if it is out of the system, if you show up with a piece of paper (the title) and it has "SALVAGED" printed on it, the CA DMV will retain the title as salvaged.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd much rather have a title like that that can be verified as legit rather than one of the fabricated titles from the "we will sell you a title" outfits that sometimes don't survive close scrutiny by title inspectors.

19. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

If the title is 'out of the system' meaning not registered for a number of years, Caifornia dumps the title. If it is currentaly registered with plates with tags it will remain salvaged. But if there is just a piece of paper that says title for said vehicle and is salvage. Call one of the private title companies, they will help you out.. I bought a 54 wagon with no title and for the price I didn't care. I got a card from Pomona Swap vendor. I called her and she ran the numbers and it came back clear,, I asked what did I owe, she said nothing. If I remember right, when the artist Weeizie (Wesner)'s roadster was in the wreck on Mooneye day, to get the roadster back so he could fix it, he had to take a salvaged title.

20. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

same thing in missouri.

21. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

See above for California and insurance, if it was a buy back

22. Roadsir

Roadsir

Use the salvage title as a bargaining lever and invest the time to straighten it out.