Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How do I give an aluminum firewall a cool retro look...cheap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by okeesignguy, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

^^Better yet, those chrome mudflap girls harhar. Seriously tho, the problem with Hambers you always get 10 Good solutions to any problem : )

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

or paint it with a black/white checkerboard pattern for a classic/old school look.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Scuff it with 80 grit, drive the piss outta it 4 a year, leave all the bugs you collect on it then clear it. Now that's differant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

You asked sooo. . . . . . I would either slam an original firewall back in there(maybe reversed if it hasta) or pull existing out and put a couple, tastefull beads on it then bring it to a huge car show and get Paul LeMat to autograph it. BAM DONE!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. verde742

verde742

But Paul Lemat drove a Ford... and this is a CHEVY...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  6. sunbeam

sunbeam

Years ago I remember an article on engine turning with a drill press and a wooden dowel rod for a bit on aluminum.

7. verde742

verde742

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its officially called "Damascening" >> you can now buy a vinyl that looks like it.. lazy man's way but VERY EZ and effective..

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

There's a lot more on that car that hurts the vintage look of it, Hell nothing is wrong with an aluminum firewall, lots of early cars ran them. If you really like engine turned a drill press with a 3/4" dowel and some stick abrasive will do it but expect thousands of spots to do it right. My dash insert on my t was 1600 spots

Personally I'd ditch the bowtie on the firewall, piecrusts, and some different front tires. Also I'd throw everything away off the top of the motor, and go with early 'vette or cal custom stuff

9. oldolds

oldolds

Did anybody say fill it up with stickers and decals of performance parts? Usually for parts that were never on the car.

saltflats likes this.
  10. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Post a current pic. The old one really doesnt look that bad. As said by some others, maybe change up the valve covers and air cleaner to something more period looking. Pull off that stick on bow tie, get some mothers, polish away, and drive it.

11. I have used a wood dowel, you have to keep scuffing the wood because after it gets hot it polishes itself. Would do it again and again though., I almost always have a wood dowel lying around.

There is this stuff that a lot of the fellas use that I cannot remember what it is called, maybe @raven will chime in here with the name (or someone equally as intelligent) feels like a piece of hard rubber with grit in it that works really good. I have also used cup brushes of various sizes to engine turning.

Engine turning is not at all easy to pull off but it is one cat with a lot of ways to be skunt. ;)

12. Zandoz

Zandoz

JMHO, I think trying to manually reproduce an engine turned effect over that large of an area would have a high likelihood of glaring flaws.

My first thought would be to try to polish out the existing flaws.

If that fails to give satisfactory results, I'd try finding a scrap of similar material for testing using various grit sandpaper to produce a brushed look.

13. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I like engine turning but if that makes it look too busy, take it to a powder coater for a candy color over the top. You will still see the metal underneath and the coating is not expensive. Plus, the powder coating is tougher than barbequed boot leather.

14. Yep that's it. Works like a champ.

The problem with engine turning is the layout, but once you get the layout you are golden.

15. verde742

verde742

HOLY CRAP !!!!! Easy for you to say. ?????????????