Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Watervleit planishing hammers, need info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadfever, Jun 16, 2015.

1. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I picked this up Watervleit planishing hammer on the weekend but I do not have any frames.

It would be great if someone could give me the dimensions so I could build a frame. I would like to know the size and sch of the pipe. I need the info on the lower die that is attached to the pipe so I can build that part as well.
    It would be great if somebody had an extra frame they would part with.

2. oj

oj

Go to 'AllMetalShapers.com' or send the old junk to me and you won't have to worry about it, ok?
    Seriously, they can help you.

3. Okay thanks
    I signed up

4. Better pictures of what I got image.jpg image.jpg

5. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Good score there. My frame pipe is 1 5/16" OD with a wall thickness of 1/8" I have the frames shown in the upper left and center top in the photo. I've made my own dies to suit the work. You should be able to duplicate the lower post by studying the photo. The main idea is to be able to quickly change out the lower die. The fact that it is free to rotate on the post means less marking of the work by the tool I believe. You can make those dies with a lathe. For some work you may not want the lower die to rotate. Just fasten it to the lower post in that case.
    I built an adjustable Picture 003.jpg stand for my Watervliet with a foot operated throttle that I can shape panels on. The tool is quite versatile depending only on the tooling you devise. It will move metal quickly and is loud in operation.
    I have a 2 sided instruction sheet dated Feb. 1947 that I will attempt to post Wednesday. Thanks for posting your sheet. I had not seen it before. John

6. Okay thanks
    That sounds like 1" pipe sch 40. I will have to have the part machined that holds the die.
    I like your stand.
    image.jpg image.jpg I will have to sell my HF planishing hammer.

7. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

More factory info. John 102_2299.JPG 102_2297.JPG

8. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I can't help you out at all but it sure is nice seeing a tool made by a place I pass by all the time. The Watervliet Arsenal is still there although not as big as it was. I know they make canon barrels but didn't know they produced tools. I go out of my way buying old American made tools before I waste my money on import crap. Nice find you have there.

Pat

9. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Pat, What is the correct pronunciation of "watervliet" ?

10. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Don't quite know how to put this but, water- vl- eet. I'm sitting here laughing because I'm sure there is an English major with a minor in traditional hot rodding that lives around the Albany area who can do a better job of explaining it.

Pat

11. That's great info.
    I bought some 1" sch 40 pipe, I was planning on bending to the right shape.
    I might just buy a couple of weld 90s and 45s to build the first frame.

12. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Fay Butler at www.faybutler.com offers a very useful guide for this type of tool.

13. Thanks
    I will check it out.