Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '32 ford coupe found it's way back home after 56 years

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hapydz, May 16, 2013.

1. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I just finished reading this thread. I sit here thinking about the '31 Coupe that I just bought earlier this month. The man I bought it from was @ 14 in 1957 when he parked it in this barn. You did Goooooooood. Congrats!!!

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      340.5 KB
      Views:
    • 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      250 KB
      Views:
    Denns1989 and Hapydz like this.
  2. Jordan 4 Rear.jpg
    Yes it is Jeff. I took the photo a bunch of years ago at a deal at our house that I dubbed "The Backyard 400".

Tman, JP55, justntime and 1 other person like this.
  3. A few bits that Mike Mondrella from Grand Rapids brought to the Detroit Autorama for the '32. A new intake for the Vortec along with a gently used carb. A little closer...:) Intake.JPG

4. G
    G'day Ron, that was a great read mate, thanks for sharing it.

Hapydz likes this.
  5. Another close target fiver.... Black 32 Fiver 1.jpg

36 ROKIT and Roger53 like this.
  6. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

This has got to be surreal to be able to get your Deuce back after such a break in time. Looking at the images really got me thinking about what you and the car have experienced in your 57yrs. since you had it and its 83 yrs. as a Ford.
    You obviously have had a love for it and had the pix all these yrs. To me that is the driving force of being a Hot Rodder.
    You have great taste and I admire you're past builds so I only see a kool rod coming from this time in ownership. Ya gotta keep it longer than a year and a 1/2 though ok ;). Congrats on the reunion.

Hapydz likes this.
  7. I have decided that the engine will be totally black. Any chrome parts will be done in a clear black (smoke). The only polished parts will be the stainless bolts. I figured that there are enough chromed and polished engines out there that I would like to do this one a bit more subtle and would like to achieve something that might be refered to as being "elegantly understated".... if you know what I mean...:)

Amaverick and OahuEli like this.
  8. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

We like 'black'....but then again, we be a bit biased.;)

Bob

Hapydz likes this.
  9. Spending most of my "old car time" helping Shaun Hopkins, the painter, getting my '39 coupe ready for paint ( which entails staying out of his way...LOL), so haven't done much towards the '32 except for gradually getting more parts for the Vortec engine. Joe Phillips restoration tells me the '32 body is up next after he is done with the Jag roadster body rust repair.

10. Facebook tells me that It was two years ago today, that this wonderful event happened . Wow, time flies when you are having fun :)

OahuEli and Blue One like this.
  11. elba

elba

Neat ! Good for you.

Hapydz likes this.
  12. It has been two very short years ago today that I first started this thread, here on the HAMB. I would like to thank all of you that posted your comments. My wife and I have read and enjoyed every one of them and I appreciate you taking the time to do so. I am still in awe regarding this wonderful event and I still find it hard to believe that it is not a dream. As you might have read, some progress been made with the ‘32 but as the “Ghost Rider Roadster” will be coming home next month from it’s winter vacation in Southern Ontario, close to Detroit for the Autorama, it will be going up for sale. The funds from this will be put into the ‘32 restoration account, then it will be “Game On”. I feel as though I am living the ultimate car guy’s dream and I want to be able to continue to keep sharing it all with you, through this thread, here on the HAMB . Thanks again for your support and “Stay Tuned”.

OahuEli, JP55, chop32 and 8 others like this.
  13. \'32B Radiator 001.JPG I was looking for a nice stock B radiator for the coupe that I could modify for the Vortec engine as I wanted the look, if you know what I mean. Just so happens that the fellow that I got the seat structure from last summer just happened to have exactly what I wanted. I will be picking it up in Grand Rapids in July. Another step closer....

14. Taking the original hood to Joe Phillips Restoration on Saturday to see if it can be saved. Knowing what Joe can do, I think that I won't have to look for another one.;) Hood 2.JPG

oliver westlund and JP55 like this.
  15. \'32B Radiator 002.JPG \'32B Radiator 002.JPG model%20a%20radiator%20necks.jpg I was able to find the right neck for the Model B rad at "The Brasworks" in California. They sure do nice work . Check out their web-site.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    oliver westlund likes this.
  16. dprodder

dprodder

Great Story Ron!
    We haven't talked since Bonneville 15 years ago. That's certainly an almost unbelievable turn of events and it involves a deuce to boot. My deuce has evolved as well, it now has fenders thanks to Canadian fuzz with no sense of humor, and a 454 thanks to a relative that needed some farm work. I've got a '34 barn car that I picked up in Ely when I was working there, and that's on the block due to age and too many projects. Give me a shout if your passing through Sudbury, that's a nice break before you tackle the north shore.
    Regards, Andy Bite

Hapydz likes this.
  17. Andy; didn't you give me a ride back to inspection to get the go ahead for my run in the Texas boy's '37 Chev ? Bon Adv 7.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  18. Good of you to remember Andy ! Glad to hear from you again :)

19. thunderplex

thunderplex

Is this a pic of you and your '32?

Attached Files:

Hapydz likes this.
  20. Yes it is....It was my 16th birthday... 60 years ago...tomorrow.:)

21. thunderplex

thunderplex

Well, ...Happy Birthday!!!

Finn Jensen and Hapydz like this.
  22. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Happy 76th Birthday :)

Hapydz likes this.
  23. elgringo71

elgringo71

Happy birthday, I think that you should do a before and after picture with you dressed the same to duplicate the picture taken when you were 16.

Hapydz likes this.
  24. .... heck yeah, Happy happy man !

Hapydz likes this.
  25. Going for lunch tmorrow with a fellow that purchased the '32 after I traded it in on the '40 Ford Coupe. We were in the same year in High School and haven't seen him since. It will be nice to have some the car's history filled in... I will file a report.... :)

OahuEli, greaser and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. Louie and Me.jpg 4 - _19 Louis Tocheri 1957-58 season.jpg I took Louie out today for coffee and a field trip to my shop to see the ‘32 and the roadster. Took a couple of pictures of the “Witch Doctor” with the ‘32 in question. He liked the activity with the cars but he thought I should spend a bit more time on the lawn......LOL

Regarding the trail of the 32 Ford Coupe, I think this is what is known to be almost true....[​IMG]
    Ron Limbrick bought it from Dominion Motors in May of 1955. (I believe the salesman, Mr. Winters, told me that a fellow traded it in on a truck....)

Ron Limbrick traded it in on Don C. ‘40 Ford Coupe in 1956 at Gibson Ford on Syndicate Ave.
    He said in a phone conversation last evening that he couldn't remember the salesman’s name but from his description I think it would be safe to say it was Len Dickson.

J.U. C. bought it from Gibson Ford a short time later.

J.U. sold it to Murray R. in 1956 for $200. (Murray gave the front axle to Louie Tocheri for his stock car.....unfortunately Louie could not recall this. )

Murray traded the ‘32 coupe to Lyn Mac. for a 1940 Tudor. Lyn needed the money to fund his first sprint car so.....

Lyn sold the ‘32 to Al S. and John L. in........Ian bought the left front fender off of Alstair S. in August of 1967 for his coupe project.

Cheryl L. sold it back to me in 2013.....

It would be nice to know who traded the ‘32 in at Dominion Motors to buy a truck , as I recall.........? I wonder how far back they keep records ?

Any thoughts ?
    Ron
    p.s. This information has been tabulated as a result of having the lunch with some of these players that we had a few weeks ago. I think I know about the ancestry of the car from the time I first bought it to being the keeper of it again. I hope that I will do a better job this time than I did the first time. Ron
    P.S. Louie was a very colourful 1932 Ford stock car driver from the 50's and 60's here in Thunder Bay. I really enjoy going for coffee with him and hearing his stories !

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    oliver westlund and JP55 like this.
  27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I'm a few weeks late on this but happy 16th at heart! 60 years and the same smile, I've seen the pics you can't hide how old you feel.

Hapydz likes this.
  28. nightmoves

nightmoves

Well happy early birthday. And you still have present from many years ago. I really enjoy reading this thread.

Hapydz likes this.
  29. United Pacific Industries has a catalog illustrating with great quality pictures, all of the body parts they produce for the '32 Five Window Coupe. It has been a wonderful source for identifing the few parts that are missing on my '32. United Pacific.jpg

oliver westlund likes this.
  30. calonego

calonego

Very cool that you have a nearly complete history Ron!
    It's unusual to be able to find so much information on a car...

"J.U.C." is my grandfather, J.U. Calonego - from old family stories I suspect he bought the car to turn into a stock car - but Murray (or someone else) must have talked him out of destroying it. "JU" managed to destroy a few '32 coupes (5w's and 3w's), but your coupe luckily skipped the CLE Racetrack.

The '32 5 Window I picked up in Winnipeg last fall is 99.9% complete (splash pans, entire mohair interior, etc) - you should come check it out when I'm back in TBay in a couple weeks.

- JU

JP55 and Hapydz like this.