Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Painting Steel Rims with Rattle Cans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53CHKustom, May 22, 2015.

1. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

Nice work, the wheels look great.
    Like they said earlier preparation is the key, the extra time on each wheel made a huge diffrence.

I feel like painting my wheels now. :)

53CHKustom likes this.
  2. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Woohoo... IMG_0917.JPG

Model T1 likes this.
  3. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

4. You were able to sell a house that reeked of car paint????

Good deal though, they came out great with just a little effort!

5. indyjps

indyjps

I'm not a fan of rattle can. If you're gonna do it, dip the can in a bucket of hot water to get the paint warm, shake, soak, repeat until the paint no longer makes the can cold.
    Use a halogen lamp after spraying to get heat into the paint.
    Multiple light coats is the way to go.
    I've done rims with tires on before, coat the tires with liquid dish soap and let it dry, the overspray cleans right off. Vaseline was suggested above, maybe, I keep all oil products away from stuff prepped for paint.

6. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

The buyers kept asking if the smell would go away last week.. I was in primer state then. I shot color and clear coat yesterday and my real estate agent caught me red handed (pun intended). Luckily I have been blowing fans and we schedule the house inspection for Thursday to give the place time to air out.. They tried to do the house inspection today without giving me notification but thank god my real estate agent intercepted.

It took a ton of my time... its not perfect.. I spent probably 16 hours total.. I'm embarrassed they aren't show quality with that much time invested but i panicked at the end when my real estate agent dropped by and saw me painting again.

Model T1 likes this.
  7. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks I did use a bucket of hot water to get the paint to come out better.. one can looked like it was used before and it spattered spots and ruined a lot of my work. I lightly sanded and put a light coat (I ran out of cans) and then put the top coat. Its hard to see it unless you look real close... its ok for now.. the tires are old anyways and eventually ill need to invest in new tires and at that point a set of matching rims...

I feel bad I spent so much time and feel like maybe they should look better (if you look real close you might see what I mean) but its a learning process so I guess thats ok.

8. indyjps

indyjps

The rest of them will turn out better, light coats. Put the one you just painted on the passenger rear so you don't see it often.

Post some pics

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Three years ago I painted a pair of Series 13 Smoothies from Wheel Vintiques on my T-bucket using a couple of rattle cans of Krylon Rust Tough Enamel Paint in semi-flat black with no primer. Before painting I just cleaned the wheels with steel wool. Real happy with the results. They still look good today!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    JDMJNKY likes this.
  10. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Here are some more photos. I'm still getting used to the big color change which is still weird for me.

It will be interesting to see the car in daylight when it looks blacker outside and the rims will look slightly redder. The cool thing is the car looks different from different angles and in different lighting.

Either way I love the chrome bullet center caps and bullet lugs and colored rims. I confirmed I don't want to run full caps like some do.

IMG_0939.JPG IMG_0941.JPG IMG_0943.JPG IMG_0944.JPG IMG_0952.JPG IMG_0953.JPG

11. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

There's a gloss/shine and somewhat candy look that I just can't capture with the iphone but I can see it with my eyes at certain angles. They look a bit more vibrant than in some of these photos.

12. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Ahh there it is, I needed HDR enabled on my iphone

IMG_0959.JPG IMG_0960.JPG

JDMJNKY, 55Caddy62 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  13. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

Beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!

53CHKustom likes this.
  14. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

came out great....

53CHKustom likes this.
  15. Those look great !
    Congrats on selling the house.

16 hrs into hand sanding and painting 4 rims with tires on isn't that far out of wack. Dismount and dip or blast would take time too but save the tedious hand work. Great outcome and a great project to learn on.

53CHKustom likes this.
  16. Nice job. Rims look great! :)

53CHKustom likes this.
  17. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Lookin' good!

53CHKustom likes this.
  18. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

The new wheels made the car that much quicker to attract a great looking girl last night.. too bad condensation on the roof ruined a perfect photo. I better bring towels next time. She texted me the photos this morning and said cruising in the car was fun. Hopefully I wont get in trouble for posting these ;-)

IMG_3724.JPG
    IMG_3723.JPG

19. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

Nice job on the wheels, you have a great looking ol` Chevy there.

53CHKustom likes this.
  20. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks!

21. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

you have to get a picture out in the sunlight to get the true colors to pop.

22. thunderplex

thunderplex

Use a self-etching primer on bare metal... my $.02 worth.

23. Now get her to help ya pick out yer new house. :)

24. Hopefully I wont get in trouble for posting these ;-)

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission. See how this goes and you'll have a good idea.

25. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Couple more shots from a psychobilly show (The Quakes) Friday night. I waxed the car up prior to driving it down to San Diego. I think the rim color looks good at night as well. Everyone loved the car and a pretty red head girl gave me her phone number.
    IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1108.JPG IMG_1129.JPG IMG_1135.JPG IMG_1146.JPG

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  26. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Me with the button up long sleeve rolled up.

IMG_1143.JPG

27. lp_jonney

lp_jonney

How did you get that bullet cap to fit? did you grind out the center piece on the steel rim? I bought some bullet caps, but they were too big to pull through the center..