Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** June 2015 Banger Meet - Cruising Time ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jun 1, 2015.

1. 97

I wouldn't use one of those early ones...you will be no better off than a Model A box.
    Look for a 38-39 box or a pickup box up to 48. ( you have to change out the open drive parts if you want to use a torque tube )The gears from a side shift box fit right in the top loader box, and are usually in good nick.
    Personally I would go for a T5 and a Macspeed bellhousing, with one of Dan's kits if you are using a closed drive (torque tube).

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

is macs still open ? I have tried to call & email with no results ............ steve

3. 97

As far as I know Graeme is still in business, he is hands on in the shop building cars and parts , so may not answer immediately...
    Two things to remember, New Zealand is n a different time zone, 17 hours or so ahead of West coast time. 5pm there is around mid day here today , that changes with daylight saving but only an hour either way .

Country code for NZ is 64..
    www.macsspeed.com
    64 9 530 8920
    email: [email protected]
    Graeme McNeill
    mobile: 64 21 916 476

4. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

I would like to stay with closed drive and the mech brakes as I have a flathead teds kit installed and it works great. I emailed Macs in NZ a while ago but got no response.
    Getting an S10 box in Aus is tough, I bought a single rail borg warner 4 speed box with the thought of converting to closed drive but I would need a MACs bell housing.
    I go to lots of swap meets and keep an eye on Ebay but 39 boxes are few and far between.
    Regards
    Brendan

5. 97

I just called him on the cellphone, went straight through...he doesn't make a Model A to V8 adapter, but the ones for the later boxes ( T5s etc) are in stock for both Ford and GM patterns as per his website. Seems to use facebook a lot...but I don't ....and have never tried so don't know what he is like with responding to emails.

6. Attached Files:

7. El Mo last Sunday on the return road
    142 with da 6500 ft
    IMG_0557.jpg

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  8. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I'd go with a VOLVO O/D and Ford truck nose and open drive line

9. 97

Yes, I agree but those are just as hard ,if not harder to find in the lands down under.

10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Anybody here going to Lincoln next week for the Speedster Reunion?

11. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

We are taking our White Speedster, but won't run the Hill Climb, gearing issue.
    image.jpg See you in Lincoln.

waxhead likes this.
  12. was out Cruising.. garage time! :) 10383478_918225574907562_7262294447989957464_n.jpg 11428545_918225554907564_4810182978248989929_n.jpg

13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Spray WD-40 in that right away.

Was the head torqued correctly?

Take the gasket off and hang on your garage wall

Pull the studs Run a long file over the block and check for low spots........ same for the head AND We hope nothings cracked

14. How far did you drive with only one hole functioning?
    Check the rods too if it hydraulic stopped.

J

15. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Check it out John....... all cylinders are trading air.
    Honest good luck with that

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  16. I find it difficult to believe that one failure didn't stop the motor, No1, or 3-4.
    No 2 is a minor leak into H2O and should have run for a while if not pulling water from 1.

The windshield should have been just covered in coolant.
    That could be an expensive fix.

J

PS. been out in shop making solid copper gasket for new head, hope the restrictors are right............

17. The car is now back togheter! :) everything was actually fine and it is now stronger than ever with a new head and a new headgasket! :) and the car was still running when we tok it apart, we just did not want to drive anymore.. hehe 1.JPG

2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

18. You are very lucky, better luck than mine.
    No wonder it still ran, is that mag from a Porsche/VW? running in reverse?

J

Kjell Elias likes this.
  19. The Mag is from a German industrial Model B engine :) love that mag.. hehe :p

and yeah, i got lucky! :D

20. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Maybe........ sorry

21. hehe! its all good, and the gasket is now on the wall of my parts room :)

22. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am glad you were able to get it back together.

Kjell Elias likes this.
  23. so am i! :) hehe

24. Proof that its back togheter :p

Dannerr likes this.
  25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

curious : what are the ups & downs of running a mag on a daily driver ? ...... thanks .. steve

26. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I did it for a long time with two of my cars. Small bore, high compression, long cammed engine didn't care. The GMC 6 wasn't as good.... ate more gas, didn't idle as nice. BUT no one else knew
    Both engines started on the button.

Kjell Elias likes this.
  27. It will depend on the mag.
    Most have no advance mechanism and this makes it more difficult.
    If it does have an advance mech, there is no reason not to run one on the street.
    Personally, I would run one any chance I get, there is a VW/Porsche unit that works really well.

J

28. i really just run it for looks and simplisity of install.. but i have had no problems with it, likes some fuel tho :p

edit; + okey when the battery is flat and you can just pushstart the car..

29. Some early mags had an impulse mechanism that utilized what is known as the "lag angle" with the most popular mags such as the Wico this angle is quoted as 9 to 12 degrees. The mag is timed with the impulse to TDC, when the engine reaches 200+RPM's the impulse releases and the timing is 9 to 12 degrees advanced. We used to time them until the engine just didn't kick back. Some people would advance them further and hit the starter and when the engine was cranking they then turned the mag on. One problem was/is they tend to work lose in some softer Al heads. Quite a few clamping screws have stripped because of this. You can idle the engine down until you can hear the impulse kicking in and out.

30. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

thank you guys . my lil banger runs on the rich side with the FS self advance , but I do need the self advance but hotter spark . cant run more than 26* advance . weber with lion head 3 . 7-1 . just looking for maybe a lil better set-up .
    ill try to check out some options ............ steve