Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Ford truck hot rod roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Todd M., May 26, 2014.

1. Todd M.

Todd M.

Yesterday I took an NOS 1965 Ford Mustang gas tank out of storage. I cut out 4" of the center and welded it up to allow it to fit in a recessed storage area just below the soon to be wood paneling of the bed. The cool thing is when you open the tailgate there is an 4 square foot storage area for tools and shit to hide along with access to the gas filler cap.
    The bed is finally painted! Still waiting on the tailgate from Mac's, I'm not feeling the confidence their going to come through on that ?!?
    I was thinking of some type of eagle for the rad cap, and it dawned on me that a 1937 silver dollar might just do the trick.
    Starting tomorrow on wiring up this '37 rod.
    [​IMG]

norms30a and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Looks good from here!

3. getting close Todd! Looking good.

4. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thanks guys.
    Her is a pic of the sub floor storage area. Once I seal all the seams I will cut and install a rubber mat so that tools, jack, moonshine, and what ever...... don't rattle around.
    The whole idea of this hot rod is to have plenty of storage and look clean at the same time.
    The built in utility box lid idea: I'm thinking along the lines of wood slats with working leather strap accents.
    [​IMG]

norms30a and tb33anda3rd like this.
  5. Roger53

Roger53

That is a nice color is it standard mix or custom? Looks like it coming along good. Roger

6. Todd M.

Todd M.

The 1946 Maroon color was converted to base/clear. One coat red oxide sealer, 3 coats of base, and 3 coats of HS clear coat.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  7. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

I like the color combo.

8. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

That bed looks great!

9. Todd M.

Todd M.

So, After 2+ months waiting and mutable phone calls I just herd Mac's Parts are unable to fulfill the order on the 1937 tailgate. That pissed me off! O'well more money goes to another company when I start the next project! I called Howell Sheet Metal in TX and they have them in stock and ready to ship.
    Working on the wiring right now along with the bed wood panels, with a Christ Craft wood boat deck theme.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  10. Todd M.

Todd M.

Here are a few photos of the proportions of the '37 rod. The top needs leather padding glued in before I can put the cab/ roadster top on. The bed wood is at the half way point and will be painted antique white in the 1/4" joints, install the 72 copper rivets, then lay clear epoxy over it. The cab floors will get the same treatment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Still have some finishing to do on the bench seat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  11. Stunning!!!!!!
    Charlie.

12. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thank you. Now if I could just come up with a name for this '37 Rodster

13. That is gorgeous! Can't wait to see it with the top on it. Nice work Todd.

14. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thanks!
    Today I'm making the leather door panels and kick panels. I will be cutting and fitting the top floor boards as well.

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Where do you do your painting and what kind of equipment do you use ?
    It would be nice if you could (if it's appropriate) contribute to my thread on painting at home in your garage or driveway thread.
    Share some of your prep and spraying techniques along with equipment etc.
    I like what you have done with the project so far, it looks good. Are you planning any chrome work, or just sticking to paint ?
    Larry.
    Looking forward to updates and more pictures. :cool:

16. That looks excellent! Incredible work!

17. Todd M.

Todd M.

Hi Larry,
    I've been a restorer, fabricator, painter, mechanic, and upholster for about 26 years. What would you like info on? I use a Sata primer gun 2.0 tip for epoxy and high build primer, Sata NR 95 HVLP for base 1.3 tip, Sata jet HVLP 1.3 tip for clear, and Sata mini jet HVLP for touch up and flaming/striping.
    I plan on adding some chrome and polished stainless once I color sand and buff the paint, I will also sand and paint the front frame rails.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  18. willymakeit

willymakeit

This makes me want to cut the top off of a 49 Mack cab I have, which incidentally a 37 p/u hood fits[width wise] and the belt line almost lines up perfectly.
    Nice work.

19. Todd M.

Todd M.

I don't know about making the 1949 Mack a roadster, but with a little imagination it would be really trick as a panel truck/woody ;) Thanks

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks, I'll be watching and follow along with your pictures. I'm a beginner when it comes to the body finishing and paint, the fabrication part has been no problem, but I have a lot to learn in the body and paint department.
    I want to do that part of my 26 RPU myself, I want to use Basf Glasurit 22 line single stage urethane.
    I have a 3 stage turbine sprayer and a Sprayfine HVLP turbine gun.
    Should be fun :)

21. Todd M.

Todd M.

Glasurit 22 line single stage urethane is a great start and buffs out looking 20 foot deep! I'm a Glasurit nut, as far as I'm concern the best paint out there!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  22. Todd M.

Todd M.

Here are some photos of the interior panels I made, not the final fitment. Love that weathered leather look, and the smell fills up the garage! I managed to find some antique brass wood screws, and re-taped them 1/4- 20 so they would screw into the door frame without stripping threads. I thought the roadster/ truck could use a little more storage for sunglasses and those pesky flyers that accumulate at the car shows.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    To the far left I picked up a 1940's candy/gum ball machine waiting for me to restore. I plan one day, fingers crossed to have grandchildren come over and hang out in the garage hand them a wheat cent so they could have a treat.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    dana barlow and Wayne67vert like this.
  23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Looking very nice indeed

24. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thanks!
    Here is a sample of the bed/deck wood with a few more steps to go!
    [​IMG]

Roger53 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  25. Roger53

Roger53

Hi It's looking better all the time it really is going to have a great old timey look. So your a sata fan have you used iwata any ? As a hobbist who likes to paint I've used iwata for around 20 years . But I'm always looking for ways to get better . And tools can make a big difference. Roger

26. Todd M.

Todd M.

I've never heard of iwata. My favorite tool in the shop would have to be a Blue Point 90 degree die grinder with a Rolock quick change, theirs not a day that goes by without being used, and so many options for restoration.

27. dos zetas

dos zetas

So... how did you do that conduit on the bed sides? Did you use a bandsaw to split it? Did you use a tig machine to weld it on? Those bends are pretty small in radius, how did you make them?

I think your truck looks great, ever mocked up hood sides?

28. Todd M.

Todd M.

Rainy day today and felt like playing around and made this coil cover /holder. Did a little wiring as well. I should have it fired up sometime next week! I'll do a video for the start up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Very nice work. Gary