Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Long Block Cleaning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whemming, Jun 16, 2015.

1. whemming

whemming

All,

I have acquired a rebuilt long block 350. The long block has sat for a couple months since being built. It was wd-40'ed well and wrapped in plastic.

I'm just now getting around to installing the rest of the components, however I have noticed a fine grit dirt has developed. I assume this is from dust etc getting stuck to the wd-40 over the last few months (even though it was wrapped, I guess not well enough).

My question is, what is the best way to clean out this dirt/grit that has developed in the intake and bottom end. You can't see it, but you can feel it.

Thanks,

William

2. squirrel

squirrel

Take it all apart and start over...

saltflats and luckythirteenagogo like this.
  3. whemming

whemming

This is what I'm trying to avoid :)

4. squirrel

squirrel

The dirt on the cam is what would worry me the most.

5. whemming

whemming

I don't think any of the dirt got to the cam. The engine is complete minus the intake manifold and oil pan. So the dust has just settled on the crank and intake.

Willaim

6. mjlangley

mjlangley
    from SE MI

Relatively speaking, a gasket set, rags and cleaner plus some elbow grease now is cheaper than a new cam replacement in the car later.

Plus some piece of mind that it's as clean as it needs to be....

7. whemming

whemming

Yes good point, I was just hoping I could avoid it. But your correct, It would worry me to death if I didn't

William

saltflats likes this.
  8. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I agree ,its hard enough to get one clean in a clean shop with it all apart,let alone in a place that has already deposited grit all over it.IN MY OPINION ,if you do not take it all apart you will regret it.

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

anyone that doesn't heed Jim's advice is foolish

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. X2!:eek:

11. whemming

whemming

Thanks for the advice, I guess I will be ordering a gasket kit.

12. noboD

noboD

It amazes me when they doubt Squirrel

13. stimpy

stimpy

do it like the furry critter says , as its like starting it up with a pan of blasting sand in it .. dirt is thy enemy . next time bag it up in a trash bag or engine bag and seal it .

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, that is the best advice. I had one in our shop that was rebuilt and I wrapped it in layers of plastic bags and oiled the hell out of it. A few years later I thought I would pull the pan to make sure it was clean inside, and somehow grinding dust had infiltrated the block and the pan had this layer of grit inside.

Tear it down, and scrub it well. You will be happy you spent the extra time.

Don

15. My brother did a Chevy 327 short block in high school, did a real nice job on it. Had the pistons knurled, crank cut, rods checked, new cam bearings, the works.

He put an oil pan on it, cardboard and tape over anything else that was open. Then double-bagged it using 2 black trash bags. He opened it up 6 years later and there was not even a speck of dust on anything. It went right on my engine stand for final assembly.

16. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Did it happen to be stored in a commercial body shop?

Seems like ALL my half dozen mechanical dealings with a few of those guys so far have been VERY disappointing even when the paint is a good color match and smooth and shiny.

- Leave the aircleaner off for extended periods so when the entire engine gets covered with shop sanding dust the engine gets a nice mouth full.
    - Attaching new OEM plastic fender liners such that before traveling 100 miles the fasteners pop out on the highway and the the liners rub and large sections melt right thru.
    - Charge several hundreds of dollars to replace mechanisms inside a door whose window glass tips forward about an inch when raising. "I know exactly what it is. Done lots of those before. " When the car comes home the window tips and jams just like before.
    - As a courtesy pulls a large shallow dent out of a door. The first time that door is opened, the side trim snags the body, bends and rips off.
    - Attaching body panels with 4 or 5 mongrel screws and bolts using all of the dozens of the factory mount points.
    - Assembling a radiator support with a couple of 10-32 machine bolts instead of the proper number of full sized fasteners.
    - Says the car has to have the battery disconnected since it drains while sitting as there is something wrong with the electric clock. The real problem is the wiper motor brushes have welded together, possibly from being jammed and unable to return to the parked position.