Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '41 LINCOLN ZEPHYR V12 DIRT TRACK ROADSTER

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FRYE66, Jun 15, 2015.

1. FRYE66

FRYE66

hot rod 7.JPG hot rod 6.JPG hot rod 5.JPG hot rod 4.JPG hot rod 3.JPG hot rod 2.JPG hot rod 1.JPG
    I've tried to buy this track roadster turned hot rod since the 80's when I first saw it parked in a field. I talked to the original owner for 5 years then I moved 3 hours away and he died a few years later. It was lost for 12 years to a metal scraper no one knew and then found it again by total accident. On my way to a dirt track race in Lebenon, MO I saw it setting in another field 60 miles away from the first one. It's been out side since the early 60's so it has some rust issues but I think we can revive it again! The original Zephyr V12 and chassis are there but in a sad state. The biggest problem will be locating and/or affording enough V12 parts to make the engine run reliably. The block has a couple of cracked cylinders and some rust issues that only a good cleaning and mag check will determine the extent of. The distributor/coils has frozen and busted so I will need that also. The crank I believe is good with a polishing. The guy I got it from said it had a racing cam in it but had original intake and cast iron heads. The radiator core is rotten but the tanks look ok at first glance. the rear end and hubs all turn easy enough, same with the trans. Any help locating parts would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  2. Reminds me of a few custom road racers built in Australia in the 50s, whoever built that had a great eye for design

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

What a killer boat tail design, love that huge grill opening as well. Can't wait to see progress shots and hear it running!

4. cretin

cretin

That thing is cool. I may be able to connect you with someone who has parts for that engine. Let me try to get the contact info.

5. very cool car and worthy of saving!

6. vwdave30

vwdave30

7. Jerry Rice

Jerry Rice

Restoring it will be well worth the time, effort and expense.

8. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Tom at Adelmann Engine Rebuilders in Blaine, MN 763-398-0356 is a good contact for parts and info. on the V12 as well as all other flat heads.

9. FRYE66

FRYE66

Thanks for the contact, I'll call him!

10. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check out the LZOC, Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club, they have a list vendors with NOS parts. Give me a call back in Omaha Bill if you want to make a deal on my rebuilt V12. tim

11. noddaz

noddaz

Nice looking project... And are those "jackstands" really quick change axle housings?

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

13. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

There was guy from Aus. that came up here a few years back . He had a HotRod with blown V-12 in it. He had blown C-cab with a Ford engine in it with two blowers . I believe his name was Rod

14. FRYE66

FRYE66

Thanks and yes they are quick change housings and aluminum axle tubes. I've got quite a few of them, you think anyone would buy some? I'd need like a $100 a pair for them, but they are really good stands. I've got them from short to 36" tall.

15. FRYE66

FRYE66

I've seen pictures of a blown V12 engine.

16. 0601sr_hadfield_01_z.jpg I believe this is the blown V12 from Aus. Owner is a member here, and I'd bet, an expert on these things.
    Roadster would look great with an old blower on that V12. :D