Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Looking back - Peoria 1970

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Great photos, Danny. Thanks to John for getting them. I wish we'd see more channeled full fendered cars today, don't know why they went out of style...I think they're cool. This one especially.
    0710rc_56_z1ststreet_rod_nationalsexpanded_for_web.jpg

Rick28 and Model T1 like this.
  2. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

Yep. That's it. I sent the picture to my Mom. She thinks that was at Gatlinburg. One of these days, I am going to start a "where is now" thread and see if anyone knows what happen to it. After Tom Pekel sold it, it went out west and lost track of it.

Rick28 likes this.
  3. On second look, maybe it's sectioned, anyway it's cool.

Rick28 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. I believe that's Lou Armbruster from Ohio. That's Freddie standing in front of it for sure. Tom Pekel wound up with the car.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. I agree. HRP

6. Just caught up with the post's. Pekel sold it to a crook here in Louisville and I don't know where it went after that.

HOTRODPRIMER and Cincinnati Slim like this.
  7. Lining up for Rod Jousting @ the Nats East, Timonium, Md. 1974. Jousting is the official sport of the state......Really. 06142015.jpg

8. Jousting in 1974. HRP

[​IMG]

Rick28, ct1932ford, T-roaster and 3 others like this.
  9. Northeast Rod Run Early 70's in Rhode Island. NSRA_0006.jpg NSRA_0007.jpg NSRA_0005.jpg NSRA_0001.jpg NSRA_0002.jpg NSRA.jpg
    NSRA_0003.jpg NSRA_0004.jpg Everyone should know the first photo (black roadster)
    The chopped and channeled five window was mine

10. Don,45 years later and the simple unchopped Model A's like this still get in my eyes. HRP

[​IMG]

Rick28, lothiandon1940 and Model T1 like this.
  11. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great stuff! That black 3W in post# 61 is good ole' Buddy George, out of New England. He's still tearing up the streets with it , as of the last time I saw him. If I ever figure out scanning ,I have a bunch of Poliroids I took at Timmy meets in '73-'74 , I'd love to share.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Mark,that is one nice ride,I like it a lot! HRP

[​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. Buddy George :eek: man that brings back memories!:rolleyes: Did anyone notice Kevin Malony's T in the photo next to my coupe and in front of me. Photo while driving?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Here ya go mark. HRP

[​IMG]

ct1932ford and Model T1 like this.
  16. Danny: Refering to the roadster in post #72....is the green sedan on the left the one that was on the cover of a Pictorial year book back then? I have that book still. tim

17. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

Danny, Thanks for posting this old stuff. That's me behind my old 29' Roadster with
    under carbed Olds engine. I'm guessing the old pics supplied by John is my old friend
    transplanted from the hoosier state. As many have commented, I am saddened by Tex
    passing. He contributed so very much to the Hot Rod movement. Tex father actually
    was involved in the construction of the 29'. Hope you and your wife doing well.
    Bob Gorby

Model T1 likes this.
  19. ^^^^^^Click on images to blow up.^^^^

20. Here ya go Don,I love the old style..didn't they call it resto rod? HRP

[​IMG]

Phillips, Model T1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. That's right, Danny. I remember guys like Orv Elgie and Wayne Henderson were keeping the traditional theme alive with Resto-Rod cars at the time. We would soon witness the 80's with the Pro-Street look, Easter-egg paint jobs with tons of graphics and tweed interiors and massive amounts of Billett aluminum. Thankfully true art and traditional styling have a way of transcending all of the fads that come and go over time.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. More 70's North East Stuff! North East RR 002.jpg North East RR 003.jpg North East RR 005.jpg North East RR 006.jpg North East RR 007.jpg
    Barb on top of my Coupe and in my Sedan before it was done:cool:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  23. Some Westchester guys sitting around in one of these shots! North East RR 004.jpg North East RR 008.jpg

24. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. Said that in post 73:rolleyes:

26. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1972 Detroit Nats pix 1972 Street Rod Nats Detroit, Mich. #1.jpg 1972 Nats #2.jpg 1972 Nats #3.jpg 1972 Nats #4.jpg 1972 Nats #5.jpg 1972 Nats #6.jpg

T-roaster and Model T1 like this.
  27. Thanks for the great posts. Noted we Americans were not so heavy back then. What year was the beautiful young lady with the red hot pants with rod an custom written on them. I used to have the magazine but who knows now. Then some few years back one of the guys posted her again wearing the same shorts. Guess we call this thread drift!

28. My dad would drive this 35 Ford roadster to the NSRA Mini Nats in Lodi, Ca. sometimes. Put a lot of miles on it in the 70's. He liked the hotrod look even then.The car is not in the family sadly. It rests unfinished in Wash.State. It needs to be back on the road. 420102_201517643289216_100002929463998_364240_617043336_n.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    KKrod, UNCLECHET, T-roaster and 2 others like this.
  29. brad2v

brad2v

I absolutely love these pics, I was born in '71, so my earliest exposure to rods was to cars that looked like this. I think it's worth noting, that a good number of these cars are very traditional. Probably more so than many modern "traditional" builds, and I believe many early 70's hot rods were genuine traditional, built in the 50's and 60's cars. Although many were updated to the times with paint and wheels and tires.

30. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I'm all for bringing back these times...just don't bring back tires sticking out side the fenders (hate it then, hate it now) and overstuffed van style interiors. Dad had a '39 Plymouth that I couldn't shut the doors because the interior was so stuffed!

brad2v likes this.