Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Roadster - AV8 Ongoing Progress

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by wagoon78, May 19, 2015.

1. Man that is a cool looking car! If you lived closer, I'd pay for a ride. Enjoy!

2. jamesd1502

jamesd1502
    from san diego

Where do I find those tops?

3. dieselbronco

dieselbronco
    from jamesburg

I love this car. And was lucky enough to drive it. Its great

Stogy likes this.
  4. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quick little update. This work was completed by the world famous Ray's Hot Rods (creative and fabrication genius behind "The Death Capsule") about a month or so ago, just trying to keep track of it all. All this stuff is underneath and out of sight, but made the car drive and stop much better.

Clings master cylinder kit was installed. The back of the master cylinder fouls the ear on the trans, so the ear was cut off and a bracket made to support the trans off the existing cross member. Much better stopping power.

The wishbone mount for the unsplit bones seemed a little too low so the wishbones were split to the inside of the frame rail. While splitting them, the front end geometry was tripled checked and everything adjusted as needed. Used ctaulbert bungs and early ford tie rod ends for the split bones. With the splash aprons you can't see any of it, but I know it's there and I dig it. Check out his ad for the wishbone bungs. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...s-for-1928-34-early-ford-tie-rod-ends.923817/

Steering box from NealinCA was installed and steering wheel position modified. Brought the wheel down a bit. It is a little more difficult to get in and out of, but I like the driving position better. Going to figure out something to spruce up the column drop and swapped out the steering wheel for a 39 banjo.

After all the the above done by Ray's, the car drives, steers and stops great. It was good before, but now even better.

The flathead was smoking a bit and may need rings. Still pulls strong so I put in straight 40 weight VR1 oil and STP stop smoke and seems to have made an improvement. Will be fine with me until I can freshen up the motor.

Still have wheel hop at 60 mph plus and switched out my sedan rims and tires. The hop was still around, so I will be putting the 7.50's back on and start working on the rear spring and shocks to figure out the cause. The 7.0x16 really changed the look of the car and not for the better.

Stogy likes this.
  5. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

How tall is the windshield on your roadster. I'm getting ready to chop the top and windshield on my 29. Yours Definetly has the look I am after

6. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Any idea what primer is on the car? This car has the "LOOK"! Very nice.

7. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Halibrand quickchange installed and set up by Andy at Kohler Kustoms. This guy just gets stuff done and done right. Can’t say enough about him. Ended up going with a final ratio of 3.20, reversed eye t spring with tube shocks in the rear. Car cruises great and I’ve been racking up the miles. Working on a few things this week and then will be ready to run her down the sand next weekend.

kohler.JPG quickie.JPG quickie2.JPG

Stogy, hfh, Jeff34 and 3 others like this.
  8. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Almost down to race trim. Few things to do still but will be blasting down the sand in no time.

race trim.JPG

Nice commuter car too.
    IMG_6634.JPG

9. brady1929

brady1929

Cool hot rod

Stogy likes this.
  10. Pete

Pete

Excellent job dude.... Looks "right"...

Stogy likes this.
  11. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Great lookin hot rod

Stogy likes this.
  12. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone near King of Prussia, PA area have room for us to safely park a truck and trailer just for the day this Thursday? We are heading out to Hershey bright and early Thurs AM and then to Wildwood for TROG. King of Prussia or slightly west on the PA Turnpike would be a convenient place to dump an extra rig to save on time and gas money.

Let me know if you have any spots. Even in front of your house on a quiet street that we won't get towed. Thanks.

13. Mr. Breeze

Mr. Breeze

14. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got a bunch of little things out of the way for The Race of Gentlemen. Nothing that really can be seen, but I grooved the rear tires for traction.
    [​IMG]

Went to Hershey bright and early on Thursday and made it in late Thursday night to Wildwood. No photos of the my Hershey purchased, but woke up early on Friday morning and headed to the beach to check things out.

[​IMG]

Still had to get the car in race trim so I removed the headlights and windshield and then Anthony DiLiberto stopped by to number it up. Only gave him 2 photos of cars I liked and he came up with the number style. Really like what he did on the doors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Told Anthony I wouldn't mind a little V8 somewhere on the car and had a little thing printed out. He took it and ran with it and came up with his own thing for the trunk. Better than I could have expected.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saturday morning comes and I can wait to get some runs on the beach. Waited much long than I thought and only managed to get in 2 runs. Photos of me waiting in line which felt like all I did on Saturday. Tried starting out in 2nd on my passes and the car bogged down and other guys got out on me. They were both faster cars anyhow, so I still would have lost

[​IMG]

After an uneventful Saturday, I was able to get in more runs on Sunday. Felt like the good ole days of TROG. I am bad with taking photos so here is what I got.

[​IMG]

Found some good photos online of my car from Allen Dobs of RAD Photography

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little bit of smoke.

[​IMG]

Ended the day covered in sand with a huge smile on my face.

[​IMG]

Loaded up and head home. Let my youngest help hose it off. His first trip to TROG he was only 2 weeks old. Must remember because he is always in the garage "helping". Every time he helps, it takes twice as long but it is twice the fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy, hfh and lodaddyo like this.
  15. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

Nice start. Wish my 31 had been that good to start. Now I'm wondering how mine would look if I cut the top off of it.............

16. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Awesome, looks like fun.

17. Beautiful car, love the look!!

18. Very nice. I like the stance, do you have the frame notch also? or just the T spring with the reversed eye?

19. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glass height is a little less than 5.75" Visibility is actually really good even with the top on except at traffic lights.

Mr. Breeze
    There is a rectangular tube cross member the previous owner/builder put in. The master cylinder from the Cling's kit fouled the ear on the trans mount. I had the drivers side trans ear cut off and a plate fabricated from underneath that attached to the bolts at the clam shell and supported by the crossmember. Took a photo from underneath, but it didn't come out. Here's a top view. Just trying to get to everything to clean the sand out.

[​IMG]

No frame notch. Reversed eye T-spring over in the rear and dropped axle in the front. Happy with the stance.

Stogy likes this.
  20. That v8 logo on the trunk looks so amazing, Ant did a great job. Really love the upgrades you're doing to it too, just dont take the splash aprons off!

Stogy likes this.
  21. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Love it! What size front tire you running?

22. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Recently moved houses so the car projects were put on hold. Moved into new place and starting to tinker again.

I picked up a rebuilt motor. Bored 0.080 with unknown cam but looked real clean and I couldn't pass it up. Started to fit weiand heads and intake. Heads are cut too much for cam lift so I need to get the valve pockets opened up in the heads. When put on without head gaskets and cranked over by hand, head lifts off about 0.047 measured with stacked feeler gauges. Just needs a little bit of extra room in there. Put it up on the engine stand for now so I can finish up everything on the motor and have limited down time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I picked up a set of what looks like original paint 40 steel wheels. Ordered up Firestone 5.50x16 fronts and 7.50x16 rears. HAMB Alliance discount for Coker Tire was great. Placed my order over the phone at the end of day on Monday and everything was delivered before lunch on Wednesday. Can't beat that kind of service. Got them mounted on on the car. I like the wires too, but digging the look of the steel wheels for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need to rebuild carbs before I can take it for a drive, but will get done one night this week and get her all buttoned up for the Jalopy Showdown this weekend. Feels nice to spend some time in the garage again.

Stogy, 38 Hump, waxhead and 2 others like this.
  23. Jeff34

Jeff34

Awesome roadster!

24. Your wind shield height is PERFECT!
    Did you measure the glass height in the centre, or along the edge beside the stanchions?

25. Mart

Mart

Great looking car. Love the profile.

26. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

27. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the kind words. Its been a while, but got a notification this got bumped back up to the top. Guess I can throw in some progress updates.

Needed motivation to put the new engine in so 2 weeks before TROG 2018, I pulled my old engine. Ran decent but was smoking a bit and was a little low on power.
    Engine Out.JPG

Got the weiand goodies (high rise manifold and FR heads) on top of new short block, installed eFire destributor and put it all back together.

Weiand goodies.JPG Engine In.JPG
    Back together.JPG

She ran real strong at the Race of Gentlemen and I won all my races until I lined up with an actual race car and got beat real bad. Great time and loved every minute of it. Ran excelsior 17" bias plays and they hooked well on the sand.
    TROG 2018.JPG
    phila classic car examiner facebook.jpg

After the race and driving around town, my ignition was kicking in and out until it just let go. Thought it was coil and chased the problem around until I figured out it must be the new eFire distributor. Pulled the cap and the wire were fried. In the early versions of the eFire, they didn't have a clip to hold back the wires and if you pulled them tight they would rub on the rotor. Put the stock distributor back in and the Stromberg guys refurbished my distributor. Took a little while but they stood by their product. It's been a few years and I haven't put it back on yet.
    efire fried.JPG

Back to Stock.JPG

Other than little misc maintenance things, the car has been great. Top flipped open while on the highway and it tore it up pretty good. Going to have a new top material put on and keep it as close to the previous canvas as possible.

IMG_5853.JPG

Just putting on the miles when I can. Not much more to do.

28. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Great car ! glad you are having so much fun with it

29. Mart

Mart

Thanks for the update. The car is looking great.

30. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland