Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Campers...Let's see what you got!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by mctim64, Jun 4, 2009.

1. I personally like this thread and enjoy seeing what others are doing with old campers,granted guys like DeLuxe 32 could care less and that's his prerogative,agree or not,but snide remarks are not necessary.

I too suggest that he just skip over this thread , there are thousands of other threads that should keep him and others satisfied. HRP

2. von zipper

von zipper

Better?[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maverick Daddy, i.rant and Model T1 like this.
  3. von zipper

von zipper

And, it's not for sale! That's the first pic I saw of it!

4. Model T1

Model T1

Well now!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:This thread is about old campers and many of us grew up even before these old campers were new. We started out with tents, then fold downs, also known as pop ups, then various small RV's. So old campers are interesting to me. Even old campers with young women in them.
    In fact old boats with young women in them interest me as do old cars with young women. But this is not a boat thread so start your own. We've also had boats of various sizes, ages, and shapes. Since we lived near the Illinois river we soon got tired of going up stream and down stream. As someone once said a boat is a hole in the water where people throw money. Actually cars and RV's are too. But since we all have plenty of money we have these hobbys.
    Damned I got off topic. o_O But I do like looking at old campers..... and old boats. If I didn't I wouldn't even open this thread.

Sent from my home computer using mostly common sense.

Ellwood59, 36 ROKIT and i.rant like this.
  5. von zipper

von zipper

I plan on hitching mine up to my Galaxie and go to out of town shows! View attachment 2928225 View attachment 2928226 as a matter of fact, I would have been camping near The Scrap Drive show this weekend,but my hitch broke right when I was gonna meet up with my car club members with their campers! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434216277.975176.jpg

6. Model T1

Model T1

[QUOTE Sounds like you were lucky when it broke. Never ever had a hitch break but lost the ball while towing a boat and trailer from Illinois to Missouri. This was the type where the stud screwed into the ball. Never saw one of those before or after. The ball was still in the reciever when I felt the trailer bang the Chevy truck bumper. With luck we were using the bumper mount on a friend's truck. Like the professional trucker :rolleyes: I was I slowed to a stop right in front of a hardware store in Mexico, Mo. Also when we discoved our first Wally World.
    See I did have boats.[/QUOTE]

7. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Pulled these of the internet. old trailer (2).jpg old trailer.jpg

Felix 40 and mgtstumpy like this.
  8. Model T1

Model T1

A 5th wheel RV with slide outs. What a neat new idea!
    [​IMG]

Felix 40 and 701 Driver like this.
  9. What I meant by an age thing was, that because I did not grow up in that era and did not have any personal connection, I didn't have an interest. As I said "obviously plenty of people like it" .....therefore I must be wrong. As my posts have not added any value I will delete them, and skip over as recommended.

verde742 likes this.
  10. The 41Dude

The 41Dude

This is mine, a 1974 Dodge Travco. 440 big block, 727 3 speed auto, Hedman headers. My grandkids love it and lovenly named it "Hufflepuff"

Attached Files:

Ellwood59, 36 ROKIT and Model T1 like this.
  11. Model T1

Model T1

Looks nice!
    Stevie does that have a round port hole window in the door? We nearly bought an early Travco but didn't like the dark enterior. Bought a 1977 Concord instead in 78. Same engine. Kept it till a few years ago.

12. Now a '74, on the other hand, probably is out of acceptable HAMB time period....

13. The 41Dude

The 41Dude

Mine is pretty light inside, window is rectangular in door

Attached Files:

Model T1 likes this.
  14. Clik

Clik

Yeah, unless it's a replica, like the Shasta 1961 Reissue. I personally would look at a 61 Reissue like a Brookeville Roadster.

patrick66 likes this.
  15. von zipper

von zipper

My parents could never think of getting one when I grew up. I always liked em! So when the right one came up, I pulled the trigger!

Model T1 likes this.
  16. tinsled

tinsled

But look at the car. I bet it is customized to pull the trailer. The rear axle is way behind the body, never seen these proportions on any 1920's car... LWB touring phaeton?

Model T1 likes this.
  17. I hope you get many years of enjoyment and make lots of memories that you can look back on in 30 years and reminisce.

von zipper likes this.
  18. Model T1

Model T1

We don't all grow up in a camping or old car family. Many of us never camped when younger or had hot rodders or customs in the family. We buy them because our friends have them or we just decide to try something different.
    I can't really explain why my wife and I got into camping and old cars. But I'll try. Our parents didn't camp. My dad didn't even drive and neither of them knew how to open a hood. Still my wife and I started camping in 1957 right after we married. Actually before but don't tell. For us it was a cheap way to get away from others and we loved nature.
    The old cars began when I discovered the first "Little Pages" in middle school. The cars and older boys with mild customs turned me on. To this day I'd rather drive a beat up old car than a new vehicle off the lot.
    We live near a busy north south Florida highway where many zillion dollar motor homes and 5th wheel RV's pass everyday, driven by first time RVers following the sheep. Those aren't campers and neither are those people inside them. Some of those blue haired little ole ladies never get out when parked at a campground or Wal-Mart. Those people can be classed with the check book car guys.
    It's like our love of old cars when it comes to campers, we are all different. I believe many enjoy and buy old campers for the same reason we buy old cars and build them. The same reasons people deal in old furniture, watches, and other old things. It's our love of simpler times and simpler things. Besides old campers look kool behind old cars.
    Yes, I nearly bought an old Aeronica tail dragger and a 150 Cesna. Always wanted an old wooden boat. Always wanted to have sex with Ann Margaret too! We don't get everything we want but we can still dream. Camping is not the cheap hobby it used to be. It's getting difficult getting in campgrounds without reservations. Most are over crowded. Still it's a good way to get back to nature and enjoy our old cars at the same time.
    Looking at this thread, I can't believe the different sizes and styles of campers that were out way before I was born and before I camped with what were modern RV's at the time.
    This thread gives us a look back at those simpler times and encourages many to find and build an RV of their own. Like old cars, they may be all modern inside but most only see what's sitting in the campground.

19. I went camping as a kid,both in boy scouts and with my grandparents.

My grandparents bought a used Shasta camper and I went with them several times during the summers of 61 through 63 and the next time I went camping was during the early 70's during the Van craze.

I wanted to share the experience with Veda ( granddaughter) before she reached the ago of not thinking her grandparents were not cool anymore,and possibly trying to recapture those care free days of summers past.

I am still in the long process of restoring our 1956 Shasta camper and the only piece that was missing to put it back to the way it came from the factory was the original stove,,and I recently found that in Texas and it's on the way now. HRP

Ellwood59 and Model T1 like this.
  20. Very nice Travco, Stevie; really like their fiberglass bodies. Considered a '68 model
    a few years back that needed extensive reno. Thought a Cummins would be the cats
    pajamas, but reality ruled the day. Decided it would only delay (once again) my long-
    term '36 project, so passed.
    (Denny sums it up nicely for most of us old farts...)

Model T1 likes this.
  21. Model T1

Model T1

I don't mean to mess up this picture thread. Just hope some of us writing about our old camping experiences will encourage more to work on theirs and still more to buy an old camper.
    None of our family camped. Well mom and dad did spend nites along the road when my brother and I were around 3 or 4 on the way to Oregon and back. I don't really call that camping. It was survival like the pioneers.
    We have two boys and a daughter, then adopted our first grandson. We had a deal with the kids. One weekend the boys could bring a buddy. Next time our daughter brought a GF. Worked great and it was to our advantage. While the kids played we could wander off. What made this even better was the kids got to camp with the other parents so we could camp alone with the bears and racoons. Ya ever hear a herd of racoons on an RV?
    The kids all loved camping. As they got older they stopped going and now they all camp in resort hotels that cost more a nite than we'd spend in a week or two. Everyone does not like roughing it.
    To us camping was getting away from the daily hastle of life and being alone. We did join two camping clubs and found out people can be fun. One was a company club and the other a square dance group. We miss those clubs. Since older RV's were made of cheap wood and many had a treated canvas roof they didn't last long. Even many of the aluminum UltraVans like we own need a total reskin and enterior. Restoring a camper is a labor of love.
    That'd my wife hiding next to our RV.

Attached Files:

loudbang and i.rant like this.
  22. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

23. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

Just picked up my "new" teardrop camper. It's a 2011 build using vintage aluminum from a truck body. Thanks to Rotten Roger.

24. von zipper

von zipper

Went camping last weekend with my fellow Five Aces Car Club members, and Mr. And Mrs. Voodoo Larry! at the Greasers and Gamblers show! It was a gas!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attached Files:

loudbang and Model T1 like this.
  25. atch

atch

I don't have a vintage camper, but just came across this about a 2-story Spartan Manor that I think is pretty interesting.

26. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

27. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I picked up an old Serro Scotty in need of much repair. Inside was gutted and used for storage. Plan on pulling it behind the 55 after a refurbishing and paint job, of course. About 80% done now with the interior. Will be on the road come spring. 2015-08-01_17.33.18.jpg

28. I haven't made any progress on my long term camper project since Brenda & I got Tboned in late June,I broke my wrist and I just haven't gotten started back on the '56 Shasta. HRP

[​IMG]

daddio211 likes this.
  29. blackanblue

blackanblue

That's just crazy..

30. blackanblue

blackanblue

I agree HRP I like anything that's old, except meat..

i.rant likes this.