Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spal 16" fan/cooling question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F1 Ford, Jun 12, 2015.

1. F1 Ford

F1 Ford
    from California

Longtime lurker and much respect to the mavens on this board. I'm always picking up great advice here.

I've got a question regarding the Spal 16" high-performance fan (rated variously at 1,900 to just about 2,100 cfms). I've combed these threads and read that these are the best aftermarket fans available, so I'll go with them. I have a Ford F1 with a US Radiator 4-row radiator (copper/brass) -- core size 21 5/8" X 21". After installing a Vintage Air unit, my engine (305/Turbo 350) is running hot -- the small mechanical fan wasn't going to cut it. There is a shroud available from Classic Haulers that covers the entire radiator. So I'll be running the 16" Spal fan with a full shroud. Anyone on here go with a similar setup? Just looking for feedback from people with something similar -- not looking for anyone to predict the future. I'm in Austin, TX, and the heat is going to really start hitting soon. My friend advised me to up to a 100 AMP alternator, which I'll do.

2. krusin

krusin
    from ga

why not go with a bigger fan you should have plenty of room to do so

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've never used a shroud with a Spal fan. Just mounted them right to the radiator with home made brackets. They always did the job. Spals will flat out blow your hat off. They don't use them on Ferrari's for nothing. You should note an improvement with the Spal and shroud.
    My current electric set up of choice however is the entire 2006 Toyota Camry dual electric fan assembly. Have one installed on my 63 BelAir. Looks as if it were made for the Chevy radiator. Makes for a nice and clean installation. Car cannot be overheated A/C on or off.
    The junkyard Toyota set up way cheaper then anything aftermarket and I'll bet its just as efficient.

Gary

4. F1 Ford

F1 Ford
    from California

Thanks for the reply. I asked the folks at Spal and they said that was the biggest/highest CFM fan set up (including combinations) they had for that core size. They seemed to think it was my best shot -- although a bigger fan (as you suggested) would be preferred. The people I've spoken with have been learning toward "give it a shot," which I think I'll do.

5. F1 Ford

F1 Ford
    from California

Thanks for the feedback, Gary. That's just another option if I hit a brick wall.

6. I have used and thrown the aforementioned electric fan in the swap meet box,noting works like a high quality mechanical fan.

[​IMG]

I use the 17 " Flex-a-lite steel blade racing fan from summit on ALL my cars and they never run hot,even in heavy sit still traffic. HRP

7. I have the same fan with a 305 motor and 350 tranny in my roadster. Just went to California and it was in the 90's going across the desert and the water never got over 200 and I can jug around the car shows and never get hot. But my roadster is less weight then your F1, so it might not be a good comparison.

8. F1 Ford

F1 Ford
    from California

HRP: Thanks for the response. I'd prefer to run a mechanical fan, but my engine sits a little low. The old mechanical fan was really small (13"?) due to needing to clear the lower radiator hose. It left a lot of radiator space open near the top.

Thanks for the response, Bob. Glad to hear this setup is working for you.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are a real hot rodder, who is about squeezing the maximum power out of of your ride, and not a historical reenactor, you run an electric fan, with a thermostatic control.

This allows a faster warm-up, getting to the prime efficient operating temperature faster, and keeping it there. A mechanical fan hinders proper warm-up, and can over-cool.

A over-cooled engine is a wasteful engine. An under-cooled engine is a wasted engine.

slammed likes this.
  10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Have a similar setup going in my 46 Olds. I however have a Walker radiator with condensor, full shroud and electric (Puller) fan to install. Radiator came with everything as a package so I'm using a 160 degree thermostat to begin with and go from there, I believe it is a SPAL fan? Down here it gets damn hot as well! In stop start traffic I've seen the water rise to 200 degrees in my 35 Chevy with a 160 degree thermostat and similar CFM electric fan and it has no AC or engine fan!

11. F1 Ford

F1 Ford
    from California

It cooks out here too! It's the stop and go plus A/C that's been causing me to run hot (220-230 degrees). On the freeway I'm doing great -- right around 195.

12. 117harv

117harv

AC, electric fans, again? Am I still on the HAMB?

13. F1 Ford

F1 Ford
    from California

It gave work to a friend's shop (not that they need it) and I like those guys a lot. I also prefer not sweating in Austin's stop-and-go traffic -- on those 100 degree/90+% humidity days (which happen a lot). I don't have another vehicle; this is my daily. To each his own.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I passed through Sacramento, the thermometer said 127º.
    [​IMG]

Not doing that without AC. You can, if you want, but not me.

i.rant likes this.
  15. 117harv

117harv

OK, here is how I see it, your thoughts may differ. Air conditioning, good stuff, I have it in my OT, but not for anything that fits in with the HAMBs criteria that I would own. Electric fans, UGLY, no make that hidious, they have no place on a traditional hot rod or custom, do they work, yes, do mech, yes. If your engine is too low to run a mech. fan then you made yourself problems, or didnt engineer it correctly. Make metal stub for the lower hose to gain clearance, and as long as the fan fits in a shroud, low or not it still pulls air from the whole radiator area.

So many parts for cars have been improved over the years that work better, but this place, the only one of it's kind, that pays tribute to an era gone by, is constantly bombarded with OT threads and posts that have a short life. Why do so many bring their OT stuff here and try and justify it? To the OP, you stated that you are a lurker and have been for awhile, yet you still posted a thread that is clearly OT. All the info you seek is all ready here had you done a thorough search

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My '60 Falcon has an electric fan, and AC, too. I would have been driving it, but I am half-way through rebuilding its transmission, waiting for parts to come in.

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I notice you live in Oregon, in that climate, you can have your attitude. But get in a high temp, high humidity location and you'll change your tune.
    Do a search for a Zip's water pump riser, it will raise your waterpump shaft by 5.5" and allow you to run a fan like HRP depicts. I use on of these on a '31"A" Hiboy with a stout 355cid SBC with no heating issues.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  18. That is the primary reason that the zips riser was invented,I have used these on both my Deuces to center the fan on the radiator,it effectively raises the water pump and fan 5".

The accompanying photo is the riser on my old Deuce pickup. HRP

[​IMG]

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  19. F1 Ford

F1 Ford
    from California

Dave: Thanks a lot. Very helpful and constructive advice. I'll do that. Much appreciated.

20. F1 Ford

F1 Ford
    from California

21. slammed

slammed

That sound's like air flow needing more pulled through at slow/standstill speeds. Having both and fin tuning the thermostat on the electric will cover the bases of at least if one died, you'd still have something to get home w/.

22. The late Deuce Roadster turned me on to the Zips risers and I ceased to have overheating problems.

This is a photo he posted several years ago. HRP

[​IMG]

23. F1 Ford

F1 Ford
    from California

Thanks, HRP. I just passed this information onto to my buddy who's been invaluable in helping me keep my '51 on the road. Just checked it out on Speedway's site as well. It's a solution I was unaware of and yet another reason why this board is great.

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

SPAL fans rule. We have them cooling a 306 Ford, a 331 Ford, and a 468 Olds, all cars with too small radiators due to chopping the grille shells. All of them run 180-190 in Florida's heat and humidity. The one on my 27 is only a 12 incher, due to the small radiator, and it keeps even that engine cool.

Two of the cars have shrouds, but mine is mounted right to the radiator with those ugly plastic tie thingies (no clearance room for a shroud). I'm having a new radiator built right now (mine is 25 years old) and I will put a new SPAL on it when it comes.

Don

25. F1 Ford

F1 Ford
    from California

Thanks, Don. Confidence in Spal's fan (in a harsher environment), plus a way to keep/upgrade the mechanical fan I was unaware of. Thanks a lot, everyone. I'll confer with my friend over a course of action. All of this info has been greatly appreciated.

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Slammed, best avatar photo yet. May you never get caught taking them.

Oh, and I have a Spal 16". Non of the others I tested came close.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All my fans are Spal.

28. slammed

slammed

She is TIGHT! I was at a major show years ago, Spal had a booth & like 4-5 other brand fan and there's. Fire each one up so you could see, hear & feel what they were capable of. Yep. That Spal was vastly superior.

29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

For years I bought the cheaper ones that are sold at places like Autozone, and they would last me just about one year. Then I bought a SPAL, and the first thing I noticed was that, when I held it in my hand and connected it to a battery, it almost blew out of my hands ! It moved a ton more air than any of the others. That sucker almost flew !

The second benefit is longevity. My first one lasted about 8 years, and my current one is 5 or 6 years old, and I could probably reuse it. But I am going through the entire car and am going to put a new one on just to be safe.

Don

30. F1 Ford

F1 Ford
    from California

Good to know. Thanks, Don. Although I kept my handles, I used their door lock actuators for my bear claw latch upgrade and they were money well spent.