Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Leroi Tex Smith.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTFR8, Jun 11, 2015.

1. He was one of first names I remember for his stories in the magazines. Another real icon leaves us, a truly sad day.

2. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Very sad news. Always wondered why he moved to Australia.

3. When I was in high school, I bought and read Hot Rod Engines so many times, just to learn every shred of information I could about the things that mattered so much. I still have the book, and thanks to LeRoi "Tex" Smith, I have some of the knowledge he gave us. We all must pass along our knowledge, ensuring that his legacy continues.

4. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Tex Smith's legacy will live on forever RIP Tex

5. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Now that makes me laugh Wayne. I recall a similar incident or one I was told about after the salt here and a speeding ticket I think given to Ron and how Tex made fun of it later.

6. CGkidd

CGkidd

RIP to a great writer

7. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Not to forget Trish and her family here in Australia.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  8. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Sad news indeed. RIP

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Sorry to hear this news about Tex Smith - one of the great hot rod writers, and certainly someone I read with great interest in the 60's and 70's. His pursuit and description of vintage tin finds remain classic pieces of automotive journalism. My condolences to his family.

10. I always liked his writing, and his cars, and followed the changes he made to his modified to get it legal when he moved to Australia.
    I'll bet he enjoyed the last years rodding wise, in Aussy.
    Rest In Peace, Mr Smith.

11. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

His books were definitely an inspiration for me. A little creativity for using what I have have Instead of doing it like everyone else . I'll have to get them out and study them again.

RIP Tex

Spoggie likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A sad day for us in the hot rod world.
    I grew up reading what he wrote and in 1973 enjoyed listening to his stories as we worked our way down the side of the building to get into the "barbecue" on Saturday night at the street rod nationals in Tulsa. I got to visit with him and Tom at Plesanton in 1998 when they had a booth set up. That was mostly the two of them regaling a small group of us with their stories.

13. W Scott

W Scott

Tex was quite a character, someone who had volumes of knowledge on hot rodding and motorsports in general. The stories he could tell on Wally Parks and the early years of the NHRA were priceless. I can always remember the day he came to shoot our Roadster Show here in Boise. Asked him if he wanted to come in early one day to shoot, he declined and attended when the place was packed to the max. One lesson he taught me was events need to depict and include people that attend them in the photography, not empty caverns of vehicles standing alone in a room or at an event. Stuck with me since that day. He will sadly be missed, but never forgotten.

Spoggie likes this.
  14. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

That would be this car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Photos taken at the 75th year of the Deuce event here in Castlemaine.

15. Babyearl

Babyearl

Tex was one of a kind,, lots of hotrod knowledge. He will surely be missed. RIP

16. primed34

primed34

Rest In Peace Tex. A great automotive writer.

dearjose likes this.
  17. We've lost another great one. My thoughts and prayers are with his family at this time of great sadness. RIP!

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Very sad to hear of his passing. :( I always looked forward to his articles and I have a couple of his books. What a down to earth, smart man he was.

RIP, Tex.

Don

19. frank spittle

frank spittle

His contributions to hot rodding can not be overestimated. One of the best of any era.

20. Agreed on all points

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Wow, this is sad. Tex had a huge influence on me through his writings and adventures. I used to love his tech articles and his way of doing it yourself hot rodding.
    The junkyard solutions and all that was great.
    A whole lot different than some of the parts buyers and installers today.
    Hot Rod Mechanix was my favorite for quite a while.
    RIP Tex, hope to meet you one day.

22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

23. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Aww... nuts... ;( . Tex was my favorite writer. Also treated me well when we talked, & he could've ripped me raw, but refused to. Then did tell me why & how things actually worked, when he had troubles at HRMx. I have at least two sets of HRMx, as the 1st set is close to being worn out. Good info, but the thought process behind it is precious. &, of course, I especially like the thought process, & antics, behind the VolksRod he & Tom did (after Tex showed Tom, Kents' VolksRod)... :D .
    Prayers of peace go to those left behind - but, know Tex won't be forgotten. On the rare occasion I could talk to him, he talked w/me like I was an old friend, although I'd be surprised if he ever remembered who I was. While I never had anything worth getting a trophy for, the only trophies I 'coveted' were the"Tex' pick & Stroker' pick".
    Rest in Peace - You deserve it.
    Sincerely, Marcus...

Spoggie likes this.
  24. Sad news, always loved reading his slant on all things hot rodding, will be missed:(

Spoggie likes this.
  25. Zerk

Zerk

His books and articles were like an introduction to hot rodding for me. I've always had a deep respect for Tex Smith, and always will. A great man who could explain a complicated idea in simple terms.

Spoggie likes this.
  26. verde742

verde742

Dog gone it, I just posted a bitch how a bunch of us lost our subscription investment with his last publication fiasco.

Now I read he has passed away, I always respected his writings, and was so pissed when he escaped to down under, May he rest in peace, he really was a good guy, and the publishing business would hafta be a rough road to travel.. He wrote great fun to read articles. Condolences to his people. We will all miss his rambles.. A reader since the mid 50's.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    Spoggie likes this.
  27. rfraze

rfraze

Now that he is gone, it is up to all of us to take up the slack. RIP and Thanks!

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

I guess the XR-6 build in Hot Rod was the first Tex build I read about. Liked his '34 Tub and everything he wrote. . He was editor of Old Cars Weekly for a while and I got to meet him at the OCW booth at Hershey one year. He sure made a lasting mark on our hobby, Rest in Peace. Bob

29. Gods speed Leroi Tex Smith.

30. LeRoi Smith.jpg
    Clarence Le Roi "Tex" Smith
    January 4, 1934 - June 11, 2015

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015