Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dual Spark Plug Flatheads?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flattop49, Sep 20, 2006.

1. I got as set of Flatattack twin plug heads, the plugs are side by side. They were cast by Mike Davidson from Aussie a few years back, he was going to run them at lake Gardiner salt flats. I ran them in my dragster with a twin distributor setup, had an HEI on the Right side of the engine with the front cover modifed to take a Mallory supermag 2 on the left. I will post a couple of pictures. It worked real nice.

2. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

Here is my set :)
    Remade in Sweden, from NOS Elco Twin Heads.

Nash Twin Eight Dizzy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  3. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Jim Lattin made the heads when I made his 4x2 staggered intake.
    Duane..

4. 97

I think I've seen that!!:D:D

5. rschilp

rschilp

That's the "mid-size" Seagrave fire engine, 586ci, based on the pierce arrow design

That is my old post, and I've since bought that fire truck including the engine.

906ci is the big Seagrave, the one shown is "only" 568ci, it's the same as mine.

The ignition setup on these seem fun. The big ones (906ci) actually had a dual ignition setup with a distributor for one set of plugs and two magnetos for the other set, so you essentially ran 3 distributors for a 12 cylinder with 2 sets of plugs.. talk about timing nightmare. The manual for the seagrave actually says not to run both spark plugs at the same time.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rob,

If you check, you'll find the "small" Seagrave is 468 ci, not 568. (I have the original delivery data for my truck, and that's what it says.)

7. rschilp

rschilp

My research shows 3 engines. A 468, 586 and a 906, there are several threads on here about them.

8. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

Here's a flatty that was at Sacramento auto museum.

zsacr1.jpg

9. Magnus B

Magnus B

Dusting off an old thread. But does anyone have any pics, or stories about home made dual plug heads? It wouldn't be hard to do, but did anyone do it back in the day? I guess based on the strange things that surfaces the answer is yes. But it would be cool to hear the stories and see the pics.

Thanks,
    Magnus

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If you go back to post #40 you can see the twin plug head for a Plymouth that I made. If i wanted to have twin plug Ford V8 heads I think I would bore holes in conventional heads and weld in the new plug boss. Easy with aluminum.

11. Magnus B

Magnus B

Thanks Rich. Yes that was exactly my thinking. Would it be sacrilegious to do this to a pair of old Weiand heads? :rolleyes:

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Not to me. But really old heads have ofter been surfaced too often or are corroded. I think I would buy new. But I am on SS now. It's taxpayers money. What do I care.

13. alchemy

alchemy

Ol' Ron recently posted pics on the Fordbarn of some heads he added the second set of plugs to. I think they were new Offy's or Edelbrocks.

14. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpg
    First made in NZ by Ron Hogan way back. Now new and improved version available again in NZ. image.jpg

15. Very nice, have you got more details? How much are they? Who sells them and what dizzy is used?
    Cheers
    Ralf

16. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lincoln V12 Two Piece Twin Plug heads, made by Norm Fricke.
    101_2724.JPG

greasemonkey54 likes this.