Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Naming your car

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by IROC100, Jun 6, 2015.

1. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

I name all my cars something. My 55 chevy sedan delivery was "Dreamy". My 50 pontiac was "Crystal Blue Persuasion" because if the color. My current project named itself. Since its a 58 chevy Delray and i am putting a few Impala pieces on it it became the Delpala. So i had these made and they will go on the car.

Attached Files:

dana barlow and Okie Pete like this.
  2. Model T1

Model T1

That's kool. What is your dream ride?:rolleyes:

3. My wife calls my 53 Vicky "Victoria". That works for me. It already says it on the door trim so I don't have to have it painted behind the fenders or on the dash. Haha.

4. racer_dave

racer_dave

Street cars never had a name. A couple of the racecars have, but not all of them. Usually something else triggers it. My Monte Carlo street stock was named 'Sybil' I think we can guess why. Current car is Hayden because the guy I got it from had his kids names on the dash. We got part way through removing them and got called away. 'Hayden' was the only one of the three left and we never bothered to remove it. So, she's Hayden.

grifcarnut likes this.
  5. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

racer dave, had you been back in the 60s, you would know your statement "street cars never had a name" was untrue. I was a young sailor just out of submarine school when I eloped with my 18 year old bride. In honor of her, my '65 425 hp Corvette coupe had "soul and inspiration" on the front fenders. Of course that was a 60s fad and like all fads they come and go. Just posted a poll on the HAMB about where to put that name on my '40 coupe, in honor of our 50th wedding anniversary in 2016. Winning selection was on the glove box door. I always was a fan of the fad. But the 60s was a funny time. I attended in early 60s auto tech college in upstate NY before going in the Navy. Kid in our class had a nice looking '56 Ford hardtop and he had "horny toad" on the front fenders. The dean made him tape over the first word when car was on campus. Wouldn't raise an eyebrow in today's world, would it?

Model T1 likes this.
  6. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

see my avatar, black 40 Ford tudor sedan

7. Blase

Blase

My kids named our car. When it showed up on the tow truck it was covered in Rust. As most young kids would they thought it was a POS and needed to be painted. When I replied "no she is just Louisiana red" they named her Ruby. Now everyone calls the car Ruby!

Okie Pete likes this.
  8. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

9. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

I was never into namming my cars but I have some choice names for some of the bad drivers

10. When my girls were little, they used to name all of our cars after "Thomas the tank engine" characters, based on their colors. The wife's daily was Henry (green), my daily was James (red), the '62 Triumph was Rusty (duh), the '37 Plymouth was Diesel (black). Luckily, those days are past. The '35 is just called "the 35", but it's real name is "Bad Influence".

11. Champscotty58

Champscotty58

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ann Margret

belair, hacknwhack, TonyVan and 4 others like this.
  13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I made some $ in the late 50s an early 60s painting names on cars,along with striping an airbrushing "T"s as "The Bat" out of hell,always named my own cars too. I'm a bit sad for those that don't,they missed out an will keep missing a part of owning and building cars there hard heads can't get.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2023
    Joe Erdmann and Model T1 like this.
  14. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I've never understood why and never was compelled to name a car or my private parts yet both have brought me joy. :D Some people just have to I quess.

Saxman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Whoh hey, hang on a minute...you dont have a name for yer tackle??:eek::D

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    volvobrynk and Model T1 like this.
  16. I've called my cars a lot of names over the years,when they are preforming as they should the names are nice,but on those rare occasions when it seems every thing goes wrong they are rather salty and not very complimentary.

Funny how these damn old cars can bring out the best and worse in us.

There is no way I would paint any names on my cars. HRP

lothiandon1940 and Model T1 like this.
  17. racer_dave

racer_dave

ha- No I know cars had names, I just meant that I never named any of mine. Unless you count 'You stupid f****** piece of c***' :)

Model T1 and falcongeorge like this.
  18. mattheruthless

mattheruthless

I named my 59 Chevy Apache 'Charlina the wicked witch of Oak Cliff'
    It's flat black and when I my father and I started to restore the truck we were having all kinds of problems from the motor to the brakes giving out in the worse times and working when we would get home haha
    It's a girl bc my wife would get mad bc I spent a whole lot of time with the truck.. I named her Charlina after the scene on La Bamba when the goofy guy sings and calls out 'Charlina! Don't you know I need you! Don't you know I looooovee you!' And as everyone can relate, restoring a car can be a head ache and make you wanna beg the car to cooperate haha
    And 'of Oak Cliff' is the area that my family is from in Dallas haha it's a title haha

19. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

"The Shane Asylum".
    Just might put me in.

20. I wrote earlier I had never named a car- this got me thinking about it- I have a 1960 Pontiac Catalina I bought from the first owners- it was her daily- so last evening I decided to name the 60- MISS EVA-

I will just have a Custom license plate made for the front-

They are both 94 now and just celebrated their 72nd Wedding Anniversary-

[​IMG]

21. I've never named my cars, but I've called them every name in the book at one time or another.:D

22. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

My coupe is a near dead ringer for one my dad built in 1954 -- I sometimes refer to mine as "The Carbon Copy Coupe". Corny but nonetheless descriptive.

23. ..................Actually that's not corny at all.

dana barlow, volvobrynk and MAD 034 like this.
  24. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Blowby; Thanks For That

25. czuch az

czuch az

I confess,,,,, I name em, always have always will.
    I even give them WWII plane designation.
    The 61 Galaxie is the "Widder" P-61, it just all fits too well.

dana barlow likes this.
  26. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

When I was a teen, I had a bright yellow '68 Camaro, that my mom nicknamed "The Electric Banana."

dana barlow likes this.
  27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My grandma witnessed me working on my '36 Five window, night after night. The previous owner had installed a 59AB engine with a '35 tranny case...pressure plate interfered with shallow housing, cracked tranny case, so whilst tearing it down for repairs, found a literal 'trail' of errors.
    Wrong threaded bolts forced into cast iron holes, etc.

Grandma wouldn't repeat the words I shouted, instead referred to the car as an 'Obscenity'!
    ...And that's what I had Shannon the Striper print in 2" high letters above the back window:
    "OBSCENITY"

The 'Dean of Boys' left a note on my windshield regarding the name...
    I cleverly taped a paper cover over it, but some of my buds knew the score, and Don S. wrote "F%#KER" on the paper in black crayon.
    The Dean saw it, and tore it off...never said another word about it.

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Every time I read one of these threads about 'naming cars' there is a bunch that reacts negatively.

I've seen some GREAT humor in cars' names, mainly between '59 and '62.
    San Jose had a raft of '58 and '59 Impalas, named:

1. 'Broad Jumper' (wealthy Los Gatos kid, 'College type')
    2. 'Orphan Annie' (Ann something, her Doctor Dad bought her the car and threw her out for partying)
    3. 'Mr. Completely' (another Los Gatos 'wiseacre')
    4. 'Cat Sass' (335 four speed, fast car: "nobody wipes the Cat's ass")

My bud's black '33 Tudor sedan was dubbed "The Villain"...looked the part.
    I had a '34 Five window, named "Troubles" (it was always something!)
    My dropped '48 Cad was big and 'scary' to some chicks. Front fender read, "The Curse". :p
    There were more...we couldn't resist a laugh.

dana barlow and Model T1 like this.
  29. I called mine DAMN IT for the 1 st year of working on her. lol. Bruce. 00202_1Aqq4PzouRH_600x450-1.jpeg