Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What are YOU doing to get ready for the 2015 Meltdown Drags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Sep 30, 2014.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Scott you better get something to cover those windows them weld splatters will stick to glass.

powrshftr likes this.
  2. powrshftr

powrshftr

James:
    I've got a big piece of fire blanket from work that we've been using to protect the glass and headliner,but I stepped back to get a shot of my Dad in action and sorta threw caution to the wind....lol!

I really don't like the way the door bars peek up over the top of the door like that,but due to the seating position,my height,and getting the proper "between the shoulder and elbow" angle on the door bars,they ended up like that.
    I know I'm going to end up cursing them every time I smash my elbow on them,padded or not.lol!

Scott

3. powrshftr

powrshftr

Jeff,
    You've never hung the laundry out in the coupe?I was standing at the line,about 10' from your passengers side rear tire,when you made a pass last year at the Meltdown,and I have to say,you have some serious courage.That is a LOT of motor,chucking not very much car down the track in a BIG hurry,and instead of sorta flattening out on the top end,it just seems to go faster,and faster,and FASTER....!

It's gonna be great to see you guys,and the new cars too.:)

Scott

Dog_Patch and Tickety Boo like this.
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I hear you on the door bar its hard to get them correct when your arm is almost going at the same angle as the bar.

5. powrshftr

powrshftr

Yeah,it looks like garbage,but I don't want the car to get bounced out of tech over something like that.Do you have any idea how bad I wanted to drop the top of those door bars 3 or 4 inches...?lol!

Scott

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Take the pad out of the seat for tech and then put it bake in when you drive the car.

7. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Some shots from Da Grove. The black Merc ran at the very first GLD event in 1956 and was the fastest car that day, pretty cool stuff.
    DSC_0832.jpg DSC_0853.jpg DSC_0839.jpg DSC_0840.jpg DSC_0844.jpg DSC_0854.jpg DSC_0847.jpg DSC_0850.jpg DSC_0852.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  8. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

9. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

10. Scott Nope never aired out the laundry yet part of the reason is I don't know how to repack the chute lol haven't really needed to air it out yet. If it goes much faster than it has I might have to use it. It is definitely a top end car it really pulls out the big end. If I can get it to leave better I'll pull the baffles and turn up the boost. Can't wait to see your ride at the meltdown again you have done quite a bit to it this year and actually get to meet ya never got hooked up with ya last year to busy running around lol.

Dog_Patch and beebee78 like this.
  11. bigslim55

bigslim55

It was cool to see all the Meltdown guys bring there stuff out for a shakedown, kinda like a mini Meltdown reunion! Great to meet Norb & Jay! I had a chuckle with Jay sitting in his car, helmet on & cigarette hanging out of his mouth! Reminded me of pics & video you'd see of Dick Trickle at track with cig hanging! LOL... Thanks for the help Norb! I thought the Sour Grape looked outstanding! Great Job Art! I also have things to sort out on 55' too! It was great to get in so much track time & get feel for car again after changing out so much stuff! I also got her up to 93mph & R/F tire bounce was gone! What a relief! All in all it was fun to get out to the track with the guys, B/S & tell story's...!
    Jimbo...

12. Tank Man! I am enjoying the hell out of life...as usual....

Tickety Boo and powrshftr like this.
  13. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ok fellas,listen up:

A good buddy of mine is having some issues posting photos to show progress of his front engine digger.
    I'm a complete chimp,and wasn't able to give him any help posting from his home computer,as the mobile app does it all for me.

Could some of you guys who post lots of pics from your home computer please help him out by posting some step by step instructions on how to get pictures up?

When you see the car you won't be disappointed!:)

Thanks guys!

Scott

14. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great Pics, thanks for sharing. It turned out to be a great day overall.

BigDrag and Tickety Boo like this.
  15. In the eighties. This is my imitation of Stone Woods and Cook 001.JPG EVIL SOUNDING STUDEBAKER 004.JPG EVIL SOUNDING STUDEBAKER 005.JPG I hate "sidepipes" BUT this exhaust system made the car 30 degrees cooler inside as opposed to the under the uninsulated floor exhaust. Also,the other exhaust was so restrictive it was causing soooo much reversion that when I would get on it to pass a car for example ( I ALWAYS get on it I cant/wont help it!!!) the backed up gasses were exploding in the exhaust!!! The Flowmasters I had on it were also very quiet... tooooo quiet...this thing now sounds like it should with my "stockcar mufflers" on it,they produce a low mellow growl,also dropped 30 lbs!!!.....so....win/win/win/win....even tho I hate sidepipes...makes the fuckin thing look JUST like a 69 Corvette....I HATE that.....oh well....Whatta you guys think? P.S. It is kinda like the pipes I had on it 30 years ago...only on steroids as these are 3 -1/2 countem 3 -1/2 inches in diameter!!! In the eighties. This is my imitation of Stone Woods and Cook 004.JPG In the eighties. This is my imitation of Stone Woods and Cook 003.JPG

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  16. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

It was a fun day for a bunch of us and a good tune up for the Meltdown...unfortunately someone needs to get their rear-end fixed and another person from the group needs to do something about the rod sticking out of their oil pan...

Here are two of my favorite pics from the day. The first one is the Oprah poker getting out of the hole. The second one is what happens when Tickety Boo's chevy beats his buddy Jay's Ford....Jay limped that Ford back to the pits and put a "FOR SALE" sign on it...I heard that is the first rule of the "blue oval brotherhood"... okielaunch.jpg fordforsale.JPG

17. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

too funny

Tickety Boo likes this.
  18. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433855462.294728.jpg

Your talking about this rod...right?

19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

YIKES!!!!!!!!!
    IF HE WAS A REDNECK LIKE ME HE PROBABLY SAID " HEY YA'LL WATCH THIS " RIGHT BEFORE THAT HAPPENED:)

20. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

21. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

It must be a photoshopped picture then...it can't be a HEMI rod...the book MOPARIAN MEIN KAMF written by Brian Coleman and illustrated by Art Zangerle clearly states that a HEMI can never break, due to its superior engineering and strength.

22. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Nice pic. (With Wheels off the ground)

Err, Umm Scott

Jeff was faster (got me by two car lengths) :eek: just put the 10,000 chip in;)

Boy it felt good to drive around (Jays Falcon) that car trashed my 64 Chevelle many times.
    Once with his wife and his dog and grand kids in the car with him. ( Very embarrassing:oops:)
    Might happen again at the hunnert car heads up. His Falcon ran a 12.75 this week very cool
    for a 302:cool:.

Jay is being (born again Chevy guy) he is building a straight axle 56 Chevy.;)

Because of health reasons I was not sure if I could ever wear a race jacket again.
    So this was the first time Tickety Boo was out in three years.
    The jacket gave me no ill effects. (THANK YOU LORD)

Norb

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I just go to upload a file then go to my pictures and select the one I want and then pick if you want full size or not after it loads. If the pictures are to large then they will have to be resized. When I was first taking pictures with my phone they were to big so I changed the picture size on my phone.

powrshftr likes this.
  24. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

Hey AJ did u borrow my oil pan or is that the one off of ur car???? I'm with kip on this one....... Although I was impressed with your timeslips until it spit it's guts out? Ps the Rods go inside the motor... ;)

30dodgeboy, powrshftr and Okiedoker like this.
  25. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Norb-

Sorry to surprise you when i came around you on the big end... Must not have been your best run or you let off.

It was great to finally meet you.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    powrshftr and Tickety Boo like this.
  26. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Jeff

Dont have the m.p.h. jetting right on the new carb. yet, But it is going to be close next time.;)

Even with carb. issues, I had an excellent weekend
    Seems like the carb. wants a 50cc pump on both ends (no throttle response).
    The only way it would launch with out snuffing out at the line (did that Friday night) was
    to use the transbrake limiter with throttle matted.:confused:
    That will be fixed by the meltdown.

Had a good time meeting every one and Bigslim55 was cool spending time with us old farts,
    I even got a ride down the track in his 55 Ford.:)

powrshftr likes this.
  27. Swamp Rat 4

Swamp Rat 4

Was that AJ's Rail that threw a rod?

28. bigslim55

bigslim55

Norb should of had Foghats Slowride playing while going down the track...! LOL...
    I'm starting to think if I'm ever going to go fast I'm going to have to rip out that Ford motor & drop a small block Chevy in it! OOP's DID I JUST SAY THAT...!
    Jimbo...

Tickety Boo likes this.
  29. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Jim

A little tuning and stiffer gears you will be pulling the front wheels (just like Jeffs 57 Chevy);)

30. bigslim55

bigslim55

I was anxious & worried, thinking it was going to really run well with intake, trans & rear end change... And to get no where close to the M/T clog-ram times! Well it was a lil frustrating & embarrassing! Norb, I hope your recommendations bare fruit...! Parts are slated to arrive Wensday! Should be able to peck away at it & have it going by weekend I hope if parts arrive!?! Last time I used Jegs they sent parts USPS, well parts were suppose to arrive on a Thursday & were at faculty 40 min away, when I checked in morning. Somehow they got sent to Minneapolis & it was the following Tuesday when I finally got parts...
    Jimbo...

Tickety Boo likes this.