Register now to get rid of these ads!

What cool car did you own in your Senior Year of high school?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Zandoz

Zandoz

Senior year I had several that were cool to me, but not suitable for this board. Two that might fit were a '63 Buick Skylark convertible, and a '64 VW beetle done up hot rod style...Metallic paint job, Big N Little tires, generic spinner wheel covers, chrome loop tube bumpers, pinstriping, Porsche 356 1600 dual carb engine and transmission.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  2. Senior year was 1963-64, I had a midnight blue 1929 Ford Tudor sedan with a 327 and 3 speed. It was the 250hp version with Corvette valve covers, and iirc the Duntov 30-30 cam, but still a 13.5 second car.
    [​IMG]

during my junior year I had a 1929 banger powered Model A cabriolet, but no pics from back then. Fifty years later, now I am building it:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  3. 2012-06-04 19.05.48.jpg here is the car i had in hs. i still have it class of 84 2012-06-04 19.05.48.jpg

4. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Awesome car & awesome story. My H.S. Trigonometry teacher Ordered a new 66 L79 4 speed from my uncles Chevy dealership bare bones Malibu that was kinda maroon colored & sadly swapped it in on a new 70 SS 396. Misses the L79 the most. He always new it was highly unusual. One of my favorite classes, if we got our work done early he'd tell us about all the crazy rides & street races he & his pals had & some of their stunts in mid to late 60s. How many were L79 I wonder? Love it exactly as it is. Flux

5. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

In high school senior year I drove a 69 GTO I bought for $85 and installed a 455 from a bonneville ($75) in it with the mandatory cam, Edelbrock intake, Holley carb and headers. It ran 12.60's and drove like a luxury car on the street....at the time.

6. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

<......... This one class of 84 been thru a little change.

7. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

If I was lucky, I got to drive my dad's 57 Olds. Second choice was a 51 Chev 1 ton p/u farm truck complete with wooden racks.

8. mike the plumber

mike the plumber

I had 2, 1967 Plymouth GTX and a 1967 tripower GTO, both were bone stock original and awesome. What I would give to have either back:)

9. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I drove my 65 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible Indianapolis Pace Car to high school and still own it to this day. The car was purchased from the original owner and is a garage kept Survivor, my dad bought it in 1985 and I got it in 1988. The gentleman we bought it from is named Shannon and that is also my name, he was in his 60s when we got the car and he still writes me about it every Christmas. He sold it to us because he wanted to give it a good home and also to buy a Bass boat, I remember tears welling up in his eyes as we drove it off. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433813986.246377.jpg

10. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

1964 Plymouth Belvedere 2 Door Hardtop;););););););););););););););););););)

11. Logan O'Brien

Logan O'Brien

A Yugo. But seriously though.

Thing was uh-mazingly horrible.

12. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

Class of '70
    Had a '57 Buick Special moordor hardtop

13. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

I had 2 1965 GTO's an original 389 tripower 4 speed and one with a later 400 4 bbl that I changed to a tripower also a 4 sp

14. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    There were a bunch of cool cars at my HS in Long Beach in my senior year ...58 Impala, 57 Chevy Bel Air, 55 Chevy 2 door, 46 Ford Coupe, 61 409 Biscayne, 53 Bel Air Sedan, 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, 61 389 Bonneville, 51 Pontiac, 49 VW split window, 51 Plymouth Wagon, 55 Nomad, these went from cruiser cars, hot rods, to surf wagons.

I was lucky, I had the 58 Impala and the 40 Sedan Delivery. Just before I graduated, I got a 49 VW split window from my brother to add to our collection. The 40 Delivery and VW split window were not very expensive...they were all cool cars and my friends had a great time in them.

No cool SLR cameras at the time and only the girls had those box Brownie cameras...so, photos were rare. My brother did take a movie of me driving our 58 Impala at Lions with black wheels in 1960. I won against the Pontiac and that Buick. Those were outstanding days in HS with little to worry about and lots of fun times with friends.

Thanks,
    Jnaki

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  15. 12sand 13s was fast for street driven cars in the '60s. Hell my my ford was a 12 second car in about '70 and still was a contender.

Nice old A by the way. ;)

wedjim and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  16. Slow'n'Low

Slow'n'Low

A '63 VW Bug. How is that cool (to me)? I bought it my Paper Route money, towed it home with a Rope, (yep I was the idiot in the VW, luckily I fixed and did bleed the brakes). I brought the engine and most of the car home in cardboard boxes, (previous guy was going to make a Dune Buggy). Dad showed me how to "shade tree balance the engine, by weighing all the moving parts, making a grid, then moving the combinations "on paper", until we got it balanced. When we fired it up, it ran smooth as silk, (I still smile today ear to ear when I think about it), it was a rocket (lighting fast), we rebuilt, jetted and balanced the dual Webber carbs, the outside looked pretty rough, I didn't have a gas gauge, I opted for spending my money on a Stewart Warner Tach, (felt like Steve McQueen every time I look at it), so I had a stick which had marks I made on it for how much gas I had. (which is what I used to do on my Motocross Bike which worked just fine. I drove it all through H.S. and College.

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My junior year pop's gave me the family truckster, maroon Ford Country Squire long roof. My dad said it would keep me out of trouble. He was correct in regards to street racing in a station wagon...wrong about dating in one.

18. donno

donno

Class of 58. 48 Plymouth Special Deluxe .Black lacquer, black and white interior. Powered by a 55 Plymouth "Hi Fire V-8.

19. In my senior year of high school {1972} I had a 38 Chevy Coupe and a 68 Vette. I still have the Vette. I had to sell the coupe after I got my 34 Dodge delivery in 79. Here's a few old photos. That's my wife she was 16 when we got married. 20160113_142906.jpg 017.jpg 016.jpg I might add my dad owned an H.V.A.C. company. So I told him I would work for him for life, if he would finance, and sign for the insurance. I'm still working that off. lol The 38 was a nice original for $600. Sorry OT But that's what I was driving in my senior year at S.H.S Ron...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    wedjim likes this.
  20. RoadkillCustoms

RoadkillCustoms
    from Mesa, AZ

1960 VW Beetle Convertible w/ 2180 cc and dual Dellorto carbs...

21. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

22. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

My first @ 15 was my uncles gardening truck, 67 El Co with a rod knock, rebuilt the 283 with help from some friends, too much cam, Super Shops Black Jack headers, Power Glide with Vega Convertor.

Traded that for the 64 Impala cruiser, stock and I put on the Rally's, There was a 56 210 in between that ran good but had some body damage, traded that for the 64 Chevelle, 396 4 speed 12 bolt posi.

Cars were affordable, anything you wanted was in the local Recycler !!

Attached Files:

wedjim and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  23. This was my senior car. Wasn't on the road 'til after junior college.
    Old days 1.jpg

I learned to drive this one as a senior (folks car) when I invited my now wife to the prom as a senior and to my shock she accepted. Had to learn to drive learn to dance, get a driver's license, etc., really quickly.

Impala 1.jpg

24. Which Senior year? Had two of them but that's another story......Something to do with you have to show up more than one or two days a week to graduate.

25. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

1941 Willys Americar coupe. Was very uncool since there was only room for one other kid and was powered by a four cylinder flat head. Gave $35 and drove it for two years. Probably could get my money back if I still had it. First college car was a 1953 Henry J my brother in law gave me. Had the flat head six and 3sp overdrive. Probably could unload it also if I still had it.

26. oldsman41

oldsman41

senior year was 1965 i had a 57 plymouth 2dr shaved hood and rear deck chromies all around and lowered

27. There really weren't any 'cool' car where I went.. there was the handful of 'my daddy bought me this' '57 Chevys and odd Mustang/Camaro but that didn't add to the cool factor, it subtracted if anything. There was two, but they were short-lived; one was a '55 Chevy post semi-gasserized (327/4 speed, chrome front suspension), the other was a 409/4 speed powered '54 Bel Air hardtop. Both were wrecked within days of purchase....

28. Karrera

Karrera

I wanted a Mini-Cooper - dad thought "the kid wants a small foreign car"...
    For a whole $50 he went out and bought me not only a completely uncool car but also one of the "Ten Worst Cars on the Planet" according to the car guys on the radio. I present you with... my 1959 Renault Dauphine

[​IMG]

The shame of having that as a "First Car" haunts me to this day.

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Oh, my... 'Town horn & country horn'. I worked on those when forced...
    I bought a '58 Simca Arronde from a customer, in '64. (My '54 Ford Coupe with 390 and 4 speed wasn't popular with the chicks on San Jose State campus! Simca was promptly dropped, steel wheels widened, sway bar installed, engine mildly 'warmed over'...2 Solexes, milled head, DeLong cam, header...Won its class in Autocross at DeAnza College for weeks! But luckily, I blew the engine and sold it, going back to my fast '54!)
    Oh, sorry for 'drifting'... 1960 High School senior car was channeled 'A' Coupe, 59 AB mill, '39 box, '40 rear, juice brakes. Many trips between Santa Clara and L.A.!

30. little red 50

little red 50

I drove a 1950 GMC pickup I bought in 1978, I still have it. I thought it was the coolest one in the parking lot. I don't think to many people "got it" but I didn't care. Sorry about the picture it's a scan of a out of focus picture.
    IMG_0004.jpg