Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. The bigger the driven pulley, the slower it will go for the same drive RPM.
    It's easy to grasp it if you think about circumferences instead of diameters. 1 revolution of the smaller drive is 1 circumference distance of belt going around the loop. How many drive circumferences does it take to get the larger pulley to make 1 revolution?
    Bigger driven pulley also has more torque to deliver.

Slipping at motor may be from lack of pulley wrap or just not enough surface area in that pulley. A spring loaded tensioner from a serpentine belt set might be the answer. Too much tension will eat the shaft bearings. I ran a v belt , no problems with belt slipping but it did involve only slight trickery on the motor shaft. My motor shaft has a tiny thimble size 8 rib pulley and it's threaded on to the shaft. I removed this and put a corner hardware store v belt pulley on the shaft. I lined it up and made a mark where to grind the motor shaft for a flat spot for that v belt set screw. Put the v belt pulley on, Then threaded the 8rib pulley back on with some loctite.

Hope you enjoy that build thread

2. richard price

richard price

great ideas! thanks guys:)

3. Just figured out my slowest speed is 240 ft per minute. That's twice what y'all are recommending. No wonder the blade is toast.

4. salf100

salf100

Made a very crude ring roller to make small 1/4" rod rings I use for art projects. It works ok. Not as perfect as I'd like.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1423330275.335668.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1423330294.609283.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1423330304.563819.jpg

5. ratrod72

ratrod72

Homemade power hacksaw built with all scrap parts old riding mower trans 350 connecting rods for rockers.. Only thing I bought was a 3$ starret blade cuts square an with a machined finish... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1423340099.099600.jpg

Rowdy_one, blowby, bct and 1 other person like this.
  6. freezerburn

freezerburn

Here's my stainless tig welding cart- not done yet still going to electropolish the welds and do a little more aluminum
    (riveted) work. That's a Diversion 180 but the DX will eventually by purchased and it will pop right in there too. Here you go hope you enjoy-
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the removeable 'header' minus the upper stabilizing bar. There's a build log that has virtually everything I've done the past 2+ years over 'Mo's 216 Chevy group here on the Hamb. 28 pages and counting. Takes a bit to get registered and stuff but here's the link- it's a great little group-
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/feezerburns-build-log.916808/

[​IMG]

tommyd, Hemi j and bct like this.
  7. Made some aluminum knobs and angle iron fences for my drill press and band saw.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made a spill proof oil can from a bud light aluminum bottle for the drill press and lathe. The original idea came from a you tube video, I added the 4 inch plate epoxied to the bottom for clamping.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The can is talked about around 9:45

Roadsir and bct like this.
  8. Cool stuff Todd!

T Hudson likes this.
  9. freezerburn

freezerburn

It is complete now. Added a 'cab' and vintage GM seat belts for cylinder hold downs. Stainless is cool to work with but it took awhile though, lol.
    Be cool, freezerburn

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    Ulu, lawman, BradinNC and 2 others like this.
  10. freezerburn

freezerburn

^^^Btw, the 'cab' on the top and the tub at the bottom are cut, bent and riveted aluminum. The rest is all 304 and 316 stainless. Now about that header...:)
    fb

11. Let's see that baby all loaded up! And I sure am glad to see this thread resurrected......

12. freezerburn

freezerburn

Well thanks for that:) Here it is with the goodies in it. The little top left side drawer is for a sketch pad or cup of coffee or something. This thing started out (and still is) a tig cart but evolved into my precision tool cart. Everything else I just toss into a big round aluminum tub under the bench, lol. The Dynasty 200DX will make this absolutely look better IMHO. Because it is shorter and narrower and more like a straight six. I should be able to sell this diversion 180 and get one someday. Until then this little guy has done very well:)
    There is heck of a lot of stuff underneath in the bottom tub. I would like to see someone build a v-8 version, that would be cool and chock full of creative possibilities too! Be cool, 'freeze
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ulu likes this.
  13. freezerburn

freezerburn

I thought I'd mention that the fan exhausts out the other side so the view in the last pic is what I see during operation; drawers, flat work surfaces and shelving all accessible standing right there. fb

14. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I posted a pic of an anvil built from a piece of railroad rail a while back and it seemed to get some interest. I've been at it again with a second, larger unit with a traditional London anvil shaped horn. The last one I built is an upright anvil with 2 attachments for working with either flat pieces or rounded ones. The round anvil is made from the front spindle from a John Deere tractor. 032.JPG 049.JPG 048.JPG

stealthcruiser, saltflats and bct like this.
  15. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Clever use of the tie plate!

Ed

16. Got tired of the vice grips laying around. Made this rack to get them organized.

[​IMG]

bct, rcnut223, tommyd and 4 others like this.
  17. gatz

gatz

^^^
    Maybe I'm not seeing something here; but how did you get your ViseGrips trained so well?
    Mine are always unruly with handles running amok, if they're not screwed in and clamped shut.

18. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

The springs in the handle are probably still intact........unlike most of mine.

19. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I cut 2 1" Hardy's into that to match my good anvil. One is just for storage ( you don't want to slip and hit a sharp Hardy tool when you are hammering , and the front one is braced with square tubing so it can be hammered on. It should probably have a wider base if I was going to do much blacksmithing work with it though. I like the vicegrip hanger too....might have to add one to my anvil.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  20. The ones on the right are American made. Those on the left are cheapies that are afraid of getting thrown. :eek:

21. Arthur White

Arthur White

Having to deal with OCD I will on some days stop and straighten everything up wipe down the work area untangle airhises weldind leads and extension cords just because I can't deal with it any more and everything has a place and every thing goes in its place

loudbang and Y I W O R K like this.
  22. beater40

beater40

instead of making the standard old bench for my folder, thought I'd have a bit of fun with it DSCF4832.JPG DSCF4836.JPG
    used my trusty plasma and hand cut a V8 pattern in the ends not perfect but looks the part to me

23. clem

clem

24. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Wow! You guys that have the time to build beautiful tools...well I envy you all a bit.

The tools I build are often just slapped together for a particular job and commonly scrapped or discarded or eventually re-made into other stuff. Usually this follows right after my declaration that, "I will never do 'x' again!", "X" being whatever distasteful or very difficult job which I had to build a tool for.

Last week I had to dig a small trench by hand and lay a cable. I smashed a pipe with a sledge, , ground the end sharp, and hard-faced it with welding rod to be my digging bar. I welded a trowel to the other end to scrape out the trench. It's ugly and you don't want to see photos of it, but it worked, and after filling in the trench I declared that "I am never digging a trench again!" and tossed it out back with all the yard tools I'll never use again either.

This will probably never change, because I'm not wealthy enough to quit working & I still have far more projects already lined up, than I will ever manage to finish in my spare time. Tools that I build will be objects of expediency.

Anyhow, enough about my neuroses! Let the show continue.

25. mgermca

mgermca

BTW, it's OK to be like this, there is nothing wrong with you guys!

26. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I've been going to great efforts to get my garage in a condition which actually can be cleaned and also kept reasonably clean. It's looking really good too; but lots of old stuff just got tossed "out back" so now I have that to clean up.

Some things I cleaned up and put back in too, so it can be sort of a vicious cycle...this cleaning business!

27. There's not ever been a space that's too small. Every cubic foot has 144 cubic inches and not ever has one been shorted. Almost always there's more stuff than reasonable for the space.

28. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I guess it depends on your reference frame.

Maybe the glass is only half full, or maybe the glass is just overdesigned. ;)

29. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Nothing like some of the tools here but the other day I had to put some nuts inside a cover that I could not get my fingers in so I put masking tape on the underside(sticky side up) of the wrench opening and pressed the nut into it and got all three in in no time.

30. ratrod72

ratrod72

My planishing hammer I made from scrap metal an a 6$ harbour freight air hammer and grade 8 bolts turned down in the lathe for dies... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434728191.060290.jpg

bct, whtbaron, gregaustex and 3 others like this.