Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Average cost of complete upholstery job on a Model A coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1951hudson, Dec 3, 2014.

1. 1951hudson

1951hudson

Hello, I am getting ready to get some quotes on having all the interior done on my Model A Coupe. It has a sun roof, and the steel portion of the frame of the bench seat already mounted. It is going to need door panels fabricated, the area around the sides of the seat and behind the seat upholstered, the head liner, the floor. I plan on having the seat done in real leather, and the rest of it with vinyl that looks like leather to save on costs. My question is, have any of you had this done? How much did it cost? If your in southern California, where did you get it done, and are you happy with the work? I am going to try and attach a picture of the type of interior I would like to have done to mine to get an idea of what I am after. Thanks in advance for any comments! Best.jpg

waxhead likes this.
  2. You're not far from Ron Mangus, go and ask his place.

3. Finished 32 3 window.jpg Finished 32 3 Window 008.jpg Finished 32 3 Window 009.jpg Finished 32 3 Window 011.jpg Yep, Mangus. He's not inexpensive, but 1 of the best in So Cal

4. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Just figure it will cost 5000. Might be more or less depending on quality . There are hundreds of shops and garage trimmers in Ca.

5. 1951hudson

1951hudson

Thanks for the responses! I will give this place a call and see what he says.

6. 1951hudson

1951hudson

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433706270.761629.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433706354.015797.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433706381.804652.jpg
    I ended up going to a place near me in Rialto California called Ramirez Custom Upholstery and had Frank and his crew do their thing! I am really happy with the leather work, and the price was really good too! In case anyone wants to call them for a estimate his phone number is 909-875-6050

7. What's the deal with the window crank on the back of the seat?

8. ...............Good question. I'm curious as well.

9. verde742

verde742

pretty sure the crank releases the seat to tilt forward... high enuff to reach from either side..........no?

silly me, I just use the stock handle.......

10. I looked at the pic and thought the same thing- then I thought "I hope he doesn't crank the seat up or down with that!"

Looks nice- was the above guess on price in the ballpark?

11. 1951hudson

1951hudson

Verde, that's correct! The seat was the third row seat out of a Honda mini van that I modified the heck out of. I wanted it to tilt forward for extra storage, so I moved the lever up to the top, it was originally in the center, and used a window crank on it to dress it up.

12. A Rodder

A Rodder

I was thinking a trick lumbar adjuster.

Is that closer to the 5k mark or more so a 10k job?

Looks fantastic.

13. verde742

verde742

looks great...!!! Good job...

My Opinion: estimates over the phone, are mostly just worthless, go meet the guy, let him judge your height, weight, personality, look at his shop, and develop a relationship,, you might want him again..or you might refer others. That over the phone bull shit sucks..
    back to regular program.....

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  14. 1951hudson

1951hudson

Actually, this job was $3k. I agree about going and getting an estimate for sure! I found this place 20 years ago by chance, back then I had a mini truck that needed interior.. This guy did such a nice job I remember telling myself "if I ever need another car done, this is where it's going". Then time passed and when I thought long and hard I knew that I should go back. I'm glad I did!

Model T1 likes this.
  15. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

It isn't perfect but it is very nice , and for the price you would be hard pressed to get any better. There is a lot of time and material cost to do an interior with the details. You are going to be very happy. Jack

16. Thaplumbr

Thaplumbr

Man, what a great looking interior, congrats!

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Do any of you West Coast guys still go to TJ for upholstery, or is it too dangerous now ?

Don

18. brady1929

brady1929

They did a nice job

hog mtn dave likes this.
  19. verde742

verde742

Not real sure, But I think most of TJ talent Came North...

Kan Kustom likes this.
  20. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Its about time for the "you get what you pay for " crowd to speak up.

21. Muttley

Muttley

You mean the guy's who do upholstery who are bent that he got a great looking interior for half what they would charge for the same job?

Model T1 likes this.
  22. 1951hudson

1951hudson

Thanks for the compliments! I'm very happy with it. It's all leather except the headliner which is suede, and the carpet of coarse. Now I'm getting ready to change the steering column out because it just doesn't look good in there compared to everything else

23. Very nice - I'd've expected it to cost more since it's mostly leather. I do some leatherwork and those cows don't come cheap!

Model T1 likes this.
  24. dad-bud

dad-bud

It's a great looking interior for the price you paid - I hope you are stoked by it.
    Cheers.

25. 1951hudson

1951hudson

Thanks! I am very happy with it:rolleyes:

26. Model T1

Model T1

That Model A looks great.
    My buddy does leather work. Not cars or furniture but belts, purses, and little things. He said those leather companies are like everything else, going out of business. Also leather is not cheap because it takes a cow a long time to grow new skin.

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  27. T1- that's the kind of stuff I do too. Still have the wallet that I hammered out when I was about 11.

Model T1 likes this.
  28. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Well I am a trimmer and have been for nearly 50 years, and I'm not bent about his good deal. I have never been cheap , so I'm happy there are people that get good work for good prices. There are a lot of hacks out there that would have done way worse.

Model T1 likes this.
  29. the-rodster

the-rodster

Steering wheel looks like crap.

Interior is great, you should be proud.

Rich

30. 1951hudson

1951hudson

Yeah, I agree about my steering wheel ( that's why I tried not to get it in the pictures lol ). I actually bought a chrome column and steering wheel that I am going to replace the other one with. I took the steering wheel over and had them match the leather with a scrap piece that was left over. Just need to find the time to do it! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434496779.739262.jpg