Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 ford pickup

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dave Becker, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Dave Becker

Dave Becker

I'm looking for some advise on my 32 pickup it will be fender less I'm not going to channel it just chop it what's a good chop and still be able to keep a descent seat. I'm thinking of 4" chop? If I do 4" how much should I take out of the back window I don't like the mail slot look. I'm also looking to buy aftermarket steal dash and firewall any idea's who sells them? Thanks Dave

2. Couple of questions. How big are you? Have you ever sat in one of these before?

Space and ergonomics are relative. Some people are small and will tell you there's plenty of room, others will tell you the opposite (then you find out they're 500 lbs and 7 foot tall.)

Reading between the lines I'd suggest spending a lot of time looking at similar build threads on this site. (search function)

volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.
  3. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

I channeled mine 3 inches and took out 5 on the roof. I haven't built my seat yet but it will be fairly close to the floor so I have plenty of head room. It will work for me and but I am 5' 11".

4. Dave Becker

Dave Becker

I'm 5'11 I know it's going to be tight that's one reason I'm not going to channel it just chop it.

5. clem

clem

image.jpg not answering your question, as I don't have a pickup, so wouldn't know. I prefer them with no chop. Here is some inspiration for you.....

kiwijeff, volvobrynk, Kiwi 4d and 2 others like this.
  6. clem

clem

image.jpg .more inspiration by way of a frontal shot.....

7. ^^^^^^^Perfect^^^^

8. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Doesn't get much better in my opinion :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. I have a Deuce pickup cab, sitting in my garage. Not exactly sure on the chop but I would have said 3-4 inches. I also have a friend Aussie Oldie here on the HAMB, who is building a 34 pickup at the moment with a similar chop.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433588752.481650.jpg

Anyway, I'm 6'1" and its going to be a hell of a squeeze getting it to work. It's not the headroom that is the main factor it's the angle of your leg, foot position, and pedal position that could make it a pain in the ass to drive. I would politely ask to sit in a few at the next show you attend if you haven't already done so.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  10. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Mock up a seat and measure from the top of your head to the roof ,subtract an inch and cut away .Myself ,i prefer a two inch chop on pu,s.

volvobrynk and alchemy like this.
  11. Dave Becker

Dave Becker

Very nice blown hemi power plant how was that to squeeze in that's my next question I have a SBC with a 871 BDS and it's going to tight. I don't have a chassis yet just a cab and bed that I'm working on. Are you running the stock firewall that and a dash are my next perches.

12. alchemy

alchemy

I also think the best thing is to mock up the seat and see how much headroom you have, before you chop.

Nobody makes a repro commercial dash. But there are a few repro firewalls out there.

13. That's Aussie Oldie's pickup, the firewall is recessed to accommodate the Hemi. Mine is just a cab, and repro bed too. Although I do have a couple of pickup dashes. As far as firewall, there is a repro, but fit can be a bit suspect. I'm leaning towards a 33/34 firewall to gain a few valuable extra inches of legroom.

14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I chopped my first deuce PU 2.5, second 4 and my 3rd 3 and am starting another and going with another 3. I cut the top out of the tank and use it for a seat base and a place for the battery and most of the electrics, also a little storage. I do a 3 inch firm foam cushion with a 1.5 inch thick backrest. I'm 6.2 and shrinking and 260 and gaining and I fit. That said I'm not sure I would want to take off on a several thousand mile trip anymore.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just wetsanded a '32 cab at work on Thrurday. It cane in with a chop and cowl extention. The cowl work wasn't done all that well IMO but the idea isn't all that bad if you need 4-6 inches more leg room. Bob

DeLuxe 32 likes this.
  16. That's right, I had forgotten all about that one, seems like a very good idea, and simply to do. Thanks Bob !

17. Okay, I'm 6'2" and rather thin. Mine is not channeled but it is chopped 3". I think the key to good ergonomics is what seat you plan to use. I narrowed a seat out of an '84 Ranger and it works well for me.

CIMG1075.JPG CIMG1113.JPG

18. ukgav

ukgav

Here is my truck with around a 4 inch chop. I'm 5'10" and there is plenty of head room even with a helmet on. Height really isn't an issue unless you whack some serious height out of the roof. Legroom can be at a premium though. I did away with the stock tank and moved the seat right back against the rear of the cab. I'm pretty comfy in there but a taller guy maight struggle.
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff, volvobrynk, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  19. Dave Becker

Dave Becker

This site is awesome you guys are a wealth of knowledge thanks guys for your impute.

20. Alchemy is right. Before I chopped my 33 pickup I threw the seat in and sat on it while the neighbor kid measured the space between my head and the top. I wanted a heavy chop and was able to cut 5.5" even with a channel job. I'm 33atspeed.jpg 5'9" and still had room. 33tall.jpg

volvobrynk and Dave Becker like this.
  21. Here's a photo I was looking for earlier. This is what a 3" chop looks like head-on.
    CIMG1140 (640x480) (2).jpg

22. Dave Becker

Dave Becker

Let me know if you have a dash for sale [email protected]. Thanks Dave

23. Dave Becker

Dave Becker

Very nice this is the look Im going for Im going to run some wider back tires and a blown sbc is it possible to get your email address I have a few questions. Thanks Dave

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll take some photos Tuesday and post them. The problem with this cab IMO was the lack of planning that gave it a Coke bottle dip in the center. If you could find a good body guy............ that could make the new section with a flat door jamb to firewall it would look much nicer. Bob

25. Mart

Mart

If it runs a heavy rake you might not want to chop it so much. If it is up and running you could tape off 3" at the top of the windshield and drive it, then 4" and so on. You can then decide what amount you would be comfortable with. People were generally a bit smaller in the 30s than they are now and those 32 cabs are pretty snug. Personally I would go for less chop rather than more but I am getting to be a boring old bastard.

Mart.

Runnin shine likes this.
  26. Can anyone provide some stock window measurements .... front, side and back as a reference point please.

27. My avatar is chopped 5", I would not go over 4". DSCN9468.JPG

DeLuxe 32, kiwijeff and Dave Becker like this.
  28. Muttley

Muttley

Because you don't want his to look as cool as yours?