Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I know it sucked last year but anyone going to indy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brasshead, Jun 4, 2015.

1. brasshead

brasshead
    from indiana

I have been going to the Goodguys since the beginning and last year was the worst ever. But like a true blue soldier I will be back this year and keep praying they move it back to the drag strip where it belongs! Anyone else going?

2. Not going myself but, why was it so bad last yr.? Was it just the move from the dragstrip or was there more to it?

3. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Goodguys claimed 1,500 cars. More like 500. The only vender there was a local Snap-on dealer. Swap meet was maybe 10 booths. And for this you pay a membership fee and an event fee. I currently live 30 miles from the fairgrounds and after 20 years of going to this event, making a worthwhile 500 mile drive from my former home in Missouri, to attend the event at its various locations I have given up on it.
    A far cry from the event when it was held at Claremont with the drags, a half mile of vendors, a good swap meet and 2,500 cars to see.

4. indyjps

indyjps

Seems like a lot of shows are moving to locations that allow autocross and cater to pro-touring builds. I feel the pro-touring movement has become what street rods and pro-street were. Ridiculous builds for fairgrounds and shows.
    GoodGuys is a marketing machine and caters to what manufacturers are selling, same with most car magazines, right now that's muscle cars converted to LS power with 18 to 20 inch wheels.

If you want hamb friendly, you need to go to hamb friendly shows, typically grass roots organized without much corporate involvement.

Ebay has killed most swap meets, why do I want to haul a truckload of shit out to a field, when I can take pics of it, bid it to max instead of getting beat down at the swap meet. There are some exceptions where swap meets are still active, seems like most of them are on the west coast.

I've pretty much stopped attending shows, cars and parts are what I can scrounge from Craigslist and running down leads from talking to other people, stalled projects are my best source of stuff now.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015

5. Didn't know that Goodguys was struggling to that extent. It is just Indy?

40fordtudor likes this.
  6. Blue Coupe

Blue Coupe

Nope, it is not just Indy, it is Goodguys. Look at the decline of the Des Moines meet the last few years. There is no event in the KC area, and the last time we were at the Colorado event, there were more trailers parked up the road and around the corner, then there were youngsters looking to buy weed! To much to spend on a outfit that is constantly trying to change what I like, and replace it with new crap that I do not care for.

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

When Goodguys opened up their events to current year models that did it for me. I can see brand new Camaros, Mustangs, Mopars and Corvettes on dealers lots for free. The NSRA at least has a sliding year cutoff. Just remember its all about the $$$$ and nothing more.
    Best event for me is the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green, KY June18-20. Non stop nostalgia drag racing. Covered seats, not bleachers right on top of the track.
    I believe the days of the Lawn Chair events are winding down. Folks are tired of being ripped off.
    What a novel idea. Charge car owners a fee to enter your show then charge spectators to see the owners cars. Wish I would have thought of it first.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  8. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I went to many Indy shows at the strip and the 500. Too bad about the Fairgrounds. The area around that place is not good!
    I'll see y'all at Columbus!

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

rapRap X2. Who in their right mind would have a car show in the middle of the Hood.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER likes this.
  10. indyjps

indyjps

I lived in Indy for a few years, access to the fairgrounds is pretty good from 465 if you come in from the north east side. From memory-Fall Creek Rd. If you try to cut thru town from the south or west, it's not a good route,its worth taking the 465 loop.

11. brasshead

brasshead
    from indiana

Sounds like it will be smaller this year than last!

12. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Being a vendor I agree that vendors can now make more dollars through Ebay for their products and that has had an effect on many venues. One thing that kills me on the Goodguys NSRA and other national or larger events is the costs associated with vending. In my case, I sell new items which at these larger events disallows me to vend in the swap meet area....I must get a space next to Coker or Mequires in the "Commercial Vendor area" to set up as my items are new. By the time I drive form Pittsburgh PA to Indy (and I vend at other events in Indy area) I have an easy $125 in fuel one way, then 3 nights in even a Motel 6 or super 8 is going to set me back another $200, bologna sandwiches and beer is another $60 for 3 days...then Goodguys wants to nail me another $850 a space (I need 2 so that's $1700) So by the time I pack up and head for home on Sunday I have about $2500 spent...Like Gman said, it's all about the money and there isn;t any profit in it with those costs

lothiandon1940 and 117harv like this.
  13. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I personally did not attend this year, in fact it's been 7 years or so since I attended Goodguys Dallas. My buddy tells me this years Goodguys was a bust of sorts in Dallas. Maybe some of the other Texas HAMBers can chime in on this.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. It sounds like when all is said and done, you're essentially just doing it for the fun of it, Bob.

15. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

I had a good time there last year. My buddies and I are going as spectators on Saturday. The type of cars that I am not interested in, I just walk past...

i.rant likes this.
  16. brasshead

brasshead
    from indiana

I agree you weps about the cars, what I did not like last year was it seemed very unorganized and they held another event on the same weekend several states away. This caused the big sponsors to have to pick where they would go. the only thing it has going for this event is the Hot Rod of the year competition which does bring in some nice HAMB friendly hot rods.

17. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I went to almost all the shows at IRP, and all 3 at IMS. Did not go last year to fairgrounds (Sins of Steel was same weekend). Definitely going to Columbus, been every year. Medina before that. I like the variety of cars at GG shows, hanging with my buds, making new friends. You results may vary.

18. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

That about some it up....that is why at 66 I still work a full time job...I haven;t made a profit doing swap meets since 2006 ....but I enjoy the people I meet and love those cold balogna sandwiches!!

Merge and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. 270283

I was able to attend the shows at the dragstrip for a few years and I have to say they were great. Rows of Gassers and Superstockers in the pits, incredible swap meet, thousands of cars to look at.... it was well worth the long drive from the Philly area and the hotel stays. I think it started to ebb when the NHRA decided to siphon off the Nostalgia drag racing by scheduling Bowling Green in close proximity. Goodguys had a great idea and NHRA saw the dollar signs. That was the beginning of the end, since then many other factors have watered it down to a shell of it's former self.

20. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Yes Sir,,, B G has replaced Indy for me,,I went to every Indy GG until the Drag racing stopped ,I have not been back since,,,,Bowling Green is my go to place now

rt1976 and 40fordtudor like this.
  21. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Goodguys reminds me of the old song "It's a family affair"........................the Meador family.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Sooo....we are just all going to sit at home now.....
    Yes, times are a changin'. But it will change faster if everyone jumps ship. Get out there and have fun!!

Texas57 likes this.
  23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I remember it like yesterday! Pleasanton, 1976?
    Gary Meadors was talking to Gary Mylar and humble self, touting his old Plymouth...I was polite, and waited for him to finish his spiel about how the NSRA sucked, and later model cars should be allowed in the gate. I told him maybe he should be shouting from atop his hood.

But...Mom told me if you can't say anything nice, ........

Maybe the ol' goodguy is in line for his 'just desserts'.

40fordtudor likes this.
  24. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

The same thing happened to us east coast guys. We had a Goodguys show in Rhinebeck NY and at one time it was almost impossible to get a spot. Every year it got less and less cars and Goodguys finally said that there wasn't enough profit in it any more and moved the show to Springfield Mass. Everyone needs to remember that both Goodguys and N.S.R.A are for profit businesses.

40fordtudor and Gman0046 like this.
  25. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Don't have to sit at home,,just do different shows,Good example is Bowling Green Lot of OTHER shows depending on where you live...

26. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

do you think the area around Columbus, Ohio fairground is a good neighborhood? it's the hood too

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Used To Go To GG at IRP every year, loved the complete show, until they moved now Columbus is it for me.

28. metal man

metal man

You got that right! I live about half an hour away from the fairgrounds at Columbus, and believe me, it is surrounded on all sides by the worst hood in Columbus. I won't go near it after dark.
    The fairgrounds itself, though, is very nice for a big show.
    I haven't been to Good guys Indy since 2002. In 2003 the drags started at Bowling Green, and it is far, far better than anything Good guys ever did. I try to change things up and do at least one different show each year. The big "lawn chair shows" like Good guys and NSRA don't really interest me anymore.
    Mostly I just drive a hot rod somewhere nearly every day, and do the local Friday \ Saturday night hangouts.

29. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

we registered Thursday at 3 pm car #574 , I'd say car count will be low again this year..

30. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

I have been to many Goodguys events!
    Charlotte, Indy, Rhinebeck.
    All of them more then once!
    Rhinebeck, Great fair grounds, shade nice ride to get there.
    They moved it to Springfield, Ma. Why?
    Yea, its a lot closer to me, but, hot parking lot!
    No vendors, From what I Hear not even 800 cars?
    I hear them Advertising like hell on the radio,Saying over 1500 hotrods and customs?
    Last time we went to Indy, No one knew what was going on?
    We were looking for, U got to drive them, and ended up in home built heaven?
    No One had a CLUE?
    The last year at Rhinebeck, they didn't even have a Dj?
    Only a Cd for music??
    When Gary's kids took over,They have gone way down hill!
    Even there giveaways are not that good anymore??
    We haven't been to one of there events in 3or4 years.
    I don't see any show worth going to anymore?