Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ed Jacques 1941 Ford: Lowest of the Low

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Ed Jacques 1941 Ford: Lowest of the Low

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

kiwijeff, 345winder, 302GMC and 3 others like this.
  2. Beautiful car with an outstanding stance. I have to say, as of late I am really getting into "early" bodied customs. And I really like a fine UNCHOPPED example like this one.
    Cool shot from the rear next to the stock height sedan.

Thanks for the post.

Atwater Mike and 504640 like this.
  3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Simply love it. And like the Ayala Brothers, I like just about everything that rolled out of Valley Customs shop. They REALLY had an eye for design and put quality Customs together.
    Is the car still around?

JeffSled likes this.
  4. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

As far as I know, this car has never surfaced again-- Sounds ripe for a recreation!

Atwater Mike and 504640 like this.

5. HRS

HRS

I've always loved '41s...specifically because of the grille!

Any photos of it in color? I would lover to see the green.

6. flamingokid

flamingokid

I love just about everything Valley Customs ever did.Sometimes during the winter,when I'm snowed in,I'll spend hours tracking cars on the internet.Valley Customs,Barris,etc,trying to find some nugget of info.Most of the time I do,but it is always time well spent.

504640 likes this.
  7. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

Wow, who needs air ride? This car is simply perfect!

504640 likes this.
  8. The 41 front end always reminded me of a smiley face. Perhaps that is why I like them. :)

Valley Customs always built excellent cars, I had opportunity to do some research and write a few excerpts for a book that was supposed to be published about them back in the '90s. The book never went to press but it gave me the chance to find out about them and the more I found out the more I was impressed.

I think that the '41 in question border on being a bombita. At least that is what comes to mind when I see it, very nice car.

40fordtudor likes this.
  9. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

amazing ride and perfect example of an unchopped 41 with class. i dont see anything bomb about this,no felix the cat licence plate toppers or excessive chrome and decoration.i see kustom class from valley customs.A very tasteful kustom and one i would love to see bought back to life

eric54chevy, 504640 and lurker mick like this.
  10. That crap must be totally SoCal in the era of that car no one was doing that dumb chit in NorCal mang. :D

11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

No other car serves as a better example of "less is more". The grille must have taken days ....

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Actually, Benno...In '52-'60, San Jose had its share of (mostly) '41-'48 Chevy Fleetline sedans with rears dropped, skirts, mud flaps all around, chrome stars, coon tails, (2 of 'em, on dual antennae!) Twin pipes, split 2 and 4...wolf whistles, Bermuda Bells, and 'Bar Moons'...(full Moons with the single flipper)
    Tiny boxing gloves were a favorite mirror hanger.

They were never confused with the 'Customs', (at least not by the rod/custom guys)
    There were some others, (Dodges, Plymouths, but not many Fords dressed that way)
    Not as many as So-Cal, but San Jose had a growing population of chicanos, and their young guys were just as passionate about all things low! :cool:

13. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

14. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Rad shots, in front of the Burbank Water Building on Hollywood way.

15. 296ardun

296ardun

There was once a magazine for teenagers called "Dig," which featured this custom, though with a long rag about how stupid it was to lower a car this much....talk about not getting it, the car is perfect this way...like those above, I especially admired the work from Valley Custom -- understand they closed shop in the early '60s because the work took so many hours (especially the hammer welding, which they used to reduce lead) meant that they were ultimately losing money....I can't find any sign of their old shop in Burbank on Google...

302GMC likes this.
  16. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

A lot of the cool old shops and buildings got torn down in that little neighborhood, I think there is a 3-4 story office building there now. Lockheed used to be a stones throw away, all gone, replaced by Target, Lowes, Best Buys etc. Sad really.

17. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Great car! I always liked the centre grille blanked on these, It would be interesting to see a photoshop.I also am wondering what's the height of the roof,Johnny

18. I have a bit of a soft spot for '41 fords and I think this one's the nicest I've seen yet.

19. That grill is a work of art, very cool.

lbcd likes this.
  20. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

''There was once a magazine for teenagers called "Dig," which featured this custom."
    296, It seems a fella named Lou Kimsey is involved with several magazines aimed at younger people, Hop Up being one. Dig showed some cars that didn't make the west coast car mags, but should have ...

296ardun likes this.
  21. LBCD

LBCD

I agree ...and $185 for the 3 pieces!

kiwijeff likes this.
  22. That 41 is the Cats Pajamas!

23. Such a great looking sled,have always really liked this one.

24. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

This car is killer! It's amazing how much effect is created with custom grille, just beautiful.