Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cheap ass 34 pick up

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dumprat, May 31, 2015.

1. I actually think that this pic with the 6 popper is pretty cool it actually fits the nooks and crannies in the firewall perfect.

2. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

It only needs to go up about 3/16 of an inch.

Not a bad fit for tons of guess work. I never bolted the cab down till after the engine was in. I figured I would just cut the firewall, but I don't have to.

DylanHill1931 and volvobrynk like this.
  3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

3/16 inch up? Can you do it with shims or washers?

sjm1340 likes this.
  4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Yes I am going to make out of some scraps of aluminum at work.

steinauge, volvobrynk and patmanta like this.
  5. czuch az

czuch az

You could throw the whole check book at that and it still would not be better than you have.
    And you'd have to pick up the check book.
    Thats gonna be real nice.

6. I love it! I'm still compiling parts but I plan on putting that motor's big brother (25" 265) into a 28 RPU - I even have some "factory" speed equipment for it - dual carbs and exhaust as well as a factory optional aluminum head from 1938 (I think.... I'd have to go back and look at my notes to remember for sure on the year).

Spoggie and volvobrynk like this.
  7. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I followed the discussion of wether to put a 6 pat in a Ford.
    And I think you did the right move, that fits like a glove!

I'm glad I found it, I'm subscribed now too!

You hat me at six banger, but pick up and low bucks build also helps a lot!!

Spoggie likes this.
  8. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It doesn't matter. Remember it's not how fast you go it's how you look going fast.

MO54Frank likes this.
  9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can live with lowering blocks this may be a lot cheaper .
    Do you have any detail pics. Of the rear leaf spring mounts. I was thinking along the same lines ,then you don't need a torque arm with parallel leaves in a 32 pickup.

10. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I used the front spring mounts off an F100 they are too tall. So I will just make some shorter ones. Just need to wait to buy gas for the torches.

And reverseing the eyes on the spring is pretty easy. Did the front one with an arbor press. Feels like doing a hundred one arm chin ups. Will probably use the hydraulic press on the back springs....

j-jock likes this.
  11. bct

bct

Nice job . Budget or not.

12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Thanks Garrett. It might not be everybody's cup of tea but I think it will be pretty cool once it is done.

DylanHill1931, bct and volvobrynk like this.
  13. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

14. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

This is REALLY nice!! Keep it up!!

15. just goes to show, if you think ahead and try, you can end up with some cool stuff. looks great! great fab work.
    I would like to see your jig for dropping the front axle.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. That's pure inspiration. Thanks for posting...

17. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. rockfish

rockfish

Me too. Great build so far. Love it when creativity beats out big $$$$$.

19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

The jig is not mine. It belongs to a friend. I will ask him if I can post a pic of it.

20. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Picking away at the truck this week. I finally got the front end stuck back together to check clearances. It seems I need to bend the steering arms up about 3/16ths just so the bolt heads don't rub on the bones. image.jpg

21. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I stuck the mechanical brake drums and bearings back on to set it under the truck. It looks good but I don't have much clearance to the U bolt plate, a little more than an inch. image.jpg

22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I am not entirely sure what to do about this lack of clearance between the axle and the spring plate. Ideas? image.jpg

23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

But it is starting to look like something. The grill is still in pretty tough shape but I have an idea for that. image.jpg

24. dos zetas

dos zetas

I like those mopar sixes too and I agree that we need more of these "No Checkbook" cars.
    But (I might be wrong here), shouldn't the top bearing face of the steering arm be parallel to the face of the king pin boss on the axle? I was just reading another thread where the guy emphasised this, in his front end build.

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Thanks!

The arms are not finished yet. I need to mount the steering box and get the axle and wishbone mounts finished. Then I will cycle the suspension and steering like I do with long travel 4x4 builds to check for binds and bump steer. For what it is worth the angle is not as far out of whack as it looks. Bad picture I guess.

Phillips and volvobrynk like this.
  26. tinmann

tinmann

Hmmmm....... '34 truck. That's one of those gold chainer hot rods, ain't it?

I like what you're doin' there Matt. I'm pretty sure that cab used to be mine. I originally thought my old one had traces of orange paint on it, but that blue looks very familiar. Do you have box sides with the same blue?

If I was smart enough to post pics, here or on the other other channel, I'd divulge my uuber cheap project too.

All the best buddy.

27. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Chainer eh? No "Dueche" parts will be used on this build! Lol

Trying to keep as much 33-34 stuff on this one and avoid 32 parts at all cost. Mostly because I get sick of the words "iconic" and "investment" and I still plan on using at as a truck. I should keep a tally of how little I spent, just to throw a greasy bird in the street rodders direction?

But thanks!

DylanHill1931, MBog and volvobrynk like this.
  28. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

But yes to answer your question I got the blue box and cab, kept the doors from the Orange channeled cab Wayne had.

The truck is not rusty but it has a ton of filler. Fill the high spots and sand the low spots. Did the one you had have the door latches cut out of it?

29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Had a very good week truck wise!

Took the kids to DQ for ice cream and ran into the guy who my friend got the nice black seat from. After introducing my self and talking for a bit he asked if I wanted the rest of the matching interior parts! So now I have door panels, kick panels and beside the seat panels.

And Thursday at work I was digging through a pile of cast off wood for some blocking, found a bunch of pieces of 2.5x2.5" hard wood. I cut chunk up and it looks like this! image.jpg

brEad and Outback like this.